Quality HID kits for mark 8

cmcallister6

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Been having a few problems using DDM Tuning, colors are different and ballasts have gone out twice, cheap plastic clips breaking causing light to not turn on. Looking for quality HID kit companies?? Any suggestions, thinking about HID Canada

Try spensershids.com out of alaska. High quality products and excellent customer service. I've had my HIDS from him in my other car almost two years with no issues. Set in mark six months, color is dead on and no issues with balast. And with HIDS you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Me too. If i use auto lamp my drivers headlight doesn't. Come on. But wheb turned. On with switch works every fime.

i bought some kits from mafioso with different ballasts and i paid around $250 each, for it, with the aluminum rings. This is back when you could flip your old bulbs and ballasts for the the price of the kits. Since then prices have come down on new ballasts and the used mark viii as everyone is just converting.

Those ballast and bulbs lasted a while, probably are still workin somewhere, but I've been running the cheapest ebay ballasts and bulbs I could find, like $65 bucks or something for both bulbs and ballasts for 2+ years with no problems what soever.

Still have those aluminum rings and use them on my car, also have a set of like new halogen lamps for after paint and the hid bulbs plug right into. :cool:

Me too. If i use auto lamp my drivers headlight doesn't. Come on. But wheb turned. On with switch works every fime.

Yeah, pretty common for us gen2's w/ aftermarkets. Only happens sometimes though. :(

Op, whatever you do don't buy Xentec. By far the cheapest pos kits i've ever seen.

Got my HID's from fleabay. I put them in the '96 a few years ago and when I sold it I transferred them to the '97 LSC. No problems at all. And still working great. I think I paid $56 for the kit including shipping.:)

Kensun here.

[url]http://kensun.com/[/URL]

Tried DDM bulbs with some slim digital ballasts but a ballast went bad on me. Luckily I had an old Xentec ballast I had in the toolbox drawer for a backup and it worked but flickered. The ballast was causing the flickering because the other one was doing just fine. Went ahead and got the Kensun kit and they have been doing very good so far. 2 year warranty comes with them. They're on eBay also but with some things, I order from the source, for warranty purposes. I tried getting true Phillips but it's hard to trust what's real out there when it comes to Phillips.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/

i use DDM highs and lows. have for several years now. they have never failed to light, and never flicker. guess i got lucky? :confused: other people don't have as much success i guess.
and don't buy xentec. the ballasts are crap and the bulbs are not as bright as DDM bulbs.

Usually, if bad luck is gonna hit, I will get it full force :lol: But I have to say I bought a set of 35w 6000k Xentec HID's off fleabay several years ago and never had a problem with them. And they're super bright on the '97 high beams, especially now that my lenses are polished crystal clear :)

And if I ever get some extra money (like that's ever gonna happen:rolleyes:) I'm planning on getting this set for my Explorer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diamond-Whi...rer&hash=item51a6a3394b&vxp=mtr#ht_3595wt_920

I think it'll look pretty good with some HID's.

I bought a cheap 35 watt 6000k kit off flea bay and it died after 3 months.

Bought a 50 watt 5000k kit off flea bay that came with a 2 year warranty - been working over a year no problems and much brighter!

I bought a cheap 35 watt 6000k kit off flea bay and it died after 3 months.

Bought a 50 watt 5000k kit off flea bay that came with a 2 year warranty - been working over a year no problems and much brighter!

Lemme guess. The cheap kit did not have a warranty? :shifty:

I've been running Xentecs for about a year now and they still light up fine (see sig pic). I know you get what you pay for, but it's what I could afford. :cool:

If it came from Japan or China, could you imagine how long it would take to replace lol

Some DDM bulbs I bought took 2 or 3 weeks. I went with Kensun for $77 and they're in NJ or shipped from NJ and if something needs replaced, it should be within a week, give or take a day. I keep a spare of everything that has to do with the HID's anyway because you never know. Only thing about ordering from Kensun direct is using "Google Wallet" but the card can be deleted when the kit comes in. I wouldn't use it on a mobile phone though. Another reason I didn't buy Kensun on eBay is because they want about $30 or more for the same thing.

That's right - $35 for a 35 watt kit that lasted 3 months sure ain't worth it.

I think I paid $50 for the 50 watt kit that has a 2 year warranty - much better deal.

That's right - $35 for a 35 watt kit that lasted 3 months sure ain't worth it.

I think I paid $50 for the 50 watt kit that has a 2 year warranty - much better deal.

Did you go with the 6000K color again with the 50 watt kit? Are you sure it's not a 55 watt kit?

The Kensun kit I bought was the 5000K but 35 watt. trying to make sure to keep the heat down as much as possible and I really don't drive much at night anyway.

Good reminder, I re-opened my ticket looking for replacement lamps from DDM. Two months its been I think. Will never use them again!

Good reminder, I re-opened my ticket looking for replacement lamps from DDM. Two months its been I think. Will never use them again!

Me either. I didn't see anything good about what they had anyway and then the wait time added to the equation made it even worse. It was a good thing I wasn't in a hurry for the bulbs. I had extra ones on hand but thought I'd give them a try. Coming from the other side of the world takes a while I guess. I'd rather deal with someone here in the US and pay the extra $30 or so for a kit and know there will be no warranty problems.

I've been running Xentecs for about a year now and they still light up fine (see sig pic). I know you get what you pay for, but it's what I could afford. :cool:

I was basing that off of the initial build quality (And overall reviews afterthefact) of the kit I bought as a spare. The first set I received had the slim ballasts when I ordered what I thought were the metal regular sized ones. They sent another set of ballasts (Got to keep the slims too) and they ended up being covered in a metalish type tape over the plastic housing. I have yet to use any of the ballasts but the build quality was just cheap. If they've worked great for you thats fantastic, just thought i'd throw my opinion out there.

Members online

No members online now.
Back