Putting old motor on new window regulator?

Aviation

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I guess I should have spent the extra 30 bucks and got one with a new motor, at the time I didnt have much money and the old motor was working fine, just the plastic clip broke. Didnt foresee it being such a problem putting on the old motor.

But for the life of me I cannot figure how this motor goes on there without messing up the way the wiring is

Even had a buddy take a look at it, and couldnt get it right.

:mad:

How about a few details here.
Gen I or gen II?
Front or back?

1st gen, front right.

The last one I had, once we cut the zip tie holding the cable it all spooled out and came loose.

Looks like everything is back tight, and now it is zip tied the way it came.

But once I cut it, there is a loop the zip tie is in, i dunno if that loop stays, or self tightens onto the wheel or what, I can take pics of what im talking about.

Yes, a picture would help. There shouldn't be any slack in the wires that move the window up and down.

Probably too late but if it's the window retaining clip, they are replaceable without changing the regulator.

Probably too late but if it's the window retaining clip, they are replaceable without changing the regulator.

Yeah it was, I have the regulator, the problem now is keeping those cables tight when the motor goes over top of the white spindle.

It is a little loose and I cannot figure out how to get it perfectly tight before I put the motor over it

From the factory it comes kinda zip tied with a little loop at the top, im assuming that is not supposed to be there after you cut the zip tie and am not sure how to get everything snug, taking a few pictures now.

IMG_2235.jpgIMG_6295.jpgIMG_6569.jpgIMG_7798.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

IMG_6295.jpg

IMG_6569.jpg

IMG_7798.jpg

So, one loop of the cable has escaped from the spool. You can see it best in you first picture. It's around the plastic zip tie. You need to pull it into a bigger loop and flip it over and pop it back onto the spool.

That is how it comes from rock auto, zip tied in a loop i guess to keep the white spindle from popping out, so once i cut it, ill be left with that loop to tighten back onto the spool.

so basically i keep it in that loop form when i cut the zip tie, but making it big enough to fit around the spool?

That is how it comes from rock auto, zip tied in a loop i guess to keep the white spindle from popping out, so once i cut it, ill be left with that loop to tighten back onto the spool.

so basically i keep it in that loop form when i cut the zip tie, but making it big enough to fit around the spool?

No, No, No. Don't cut that zip tie yet!

You don't need to cut it to pop the loose loop back on to the spool. It won't "tighten back onto the spool." You have to pull it into a bigger loop and pop it back over the spool You can do this with the zip tie in place. All was good when they put the tie on, it's just that somehow a loop popped out. I've only seen this happen when someone plays with the springs and pushes them in for a moment.

yeah, that didnt work out well. entire ****ing thing unspooled

Well, too late.
The cord has to be wound around the spool the correct number of times in the correct way, or it will never work right. You were almost there, just one wind to go. Now, I don't know.

So when do you cut the zip tie?

When you are ready to put the motor on. It's not as critical if your cords are wound completely and have full tension, because it won't go anywhere then. In his case, he didn't have full tension, and he shouldn't have cut the tie until he did.

Well, too late.
The cord has to be wound around the spool the correct number of times in the correct way, or it will never work right. You were almost there, just one wind to go. Now, I don't know.

Yeah, was almost there.

Found a video on how to re-wind it, but it is not NEAR as easy as he makes it look.

So pissed.

Members online

Back