Pull the engine through the top?

mandblang

LVC Member
Reaction score
I think I have a spun bearing on my 2002 V8 LS and I need to pull the engine. Has anyone pulled the engine through the top? I know the shop manual says to drop the engine along with the subframe but I don't think this can be done without a lift, which I don't have.

The only thing that looks really difficult is getting to the top transmission bolts, but I think I could drop the rear of the transmission down low enough to get to them.

Thanks!
Mel

As far as I know and from what I've seen a dealership do, you are going to have to drop it from the bottom. Just my two cents.

right - usually you would drop it with the sub-frame fromt he bottom - which is how it's loaded at the factory.

People have pulled them from the top - but needed to clear almost everything from the front - all the rads, ...etc

It can be done from the top as Quik says but it will be a major pain in the ass. It was not designed to be lifted from the top. You will have to take most of the top of the engine off to get it out.

I think if you take the hole front of the car apart... the bumper off and head lights and radiator support you could take it out through the front of the car...

I have never done this on a LS but i have done it on other vehicle... no guarantee it will work..... just a thought...

Against my preference, I allowed a mechanic pull mine from the top. It's been over a year now with no real problems. The only thing is that the motor mounts should have been replaced. So, I know it can be done if done so carefully.

im not sure why you would want to go through the top. i guess if you dont have the means of lifting the car while slowly lowering the engine..... but if you lack those tools, you could get it pulled for ya then trailer it to your shop. i know they are supposed to drop out but it seems that it is possible to lift out too. good luck man! let us know what happens

Thanks for all the replies. I am hoping to pull the engine this weekend. I'll post whether I end up going through the top or dropping it.

Well , I can say from experience that you definitely want to drop the sub-frame, not pull the engine from the top. There just isn't enough room to make this practical, if it can even be done. I was worried that I would not be able to get the car high enough using a floor jack to get the sub frame out but I had plenty of clearance after I removed the front bumper. I used an engine hoist to drop the subframe. It took about 40 hours all together but I wasted some time trying to pull the engine from the top at first. I think I could do it in 25-30 hours if I did another. The replacement engine runs great (after replacing a clogged injector) and no leaks so far. I know a lot of people don't like OBDII but it sure makes finding misfires in the engine easy.

I am not sure what happen to the original engine. My wife got in the vehicle one morning and it started knocking about a mile down the road. It has 111,000 miles and I have always changed the oil regularly.

Is there any kind of write up or pictures on this job? I am replacing an engine soon and I want to know if I could do it myself. I will be dropping the engine and transmission as one unit as I think that will be easier than trying to separate them. Does the sub-frame and engine come down as one unit or do you drop the frame and then the engine?

I just pulled the motor from two lincolns since one needs work and the other one im using for a replacement but as far as pulling the motor from the top the hardest part was removing the radiator. There is so much sht its stupid. It took me about 8 hrs to pull each and thats including droping the trans. Unhooking everything and removing the radiator took about 4 hrs then the trans was probly 2 hrs and then the motor was less then an 1hr since i unhooked everything when i did the radiator. Id have to say the hardest things was the radiator and the top bolts on the trans need a very long extension. All in all it wasnt as bad as expected but you dont have to remove any parts from the motor as long as you use a engine leveler and 2 chains in front and back.

So you did both of them from the top? Yeah my buddy and I are working on doing the same thing. I have my one car that we jacked up and put all 4 tires on ramps but I still don't think there would be enough room to drop the engine. We are working on getting everything out of the front of the car and making room to pull it out the top. I am also trying to document this process for anyone else who may need to do this procedure. Please let me know if you have any pics or special tips. Thanks.

I started taking pic of the few things we've gotten done so far. To anyone who has dropped the sub-assembly or read about it, what does that all include? Does that involve my front suspension?

Members online

Back