programing a new key fob

IrishV8LS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
i bought a new key fob and was wondering if the dealer is the only place that can program it

So I can buy one of those nifty flip out key fobs? How would I get it to work?

what nifty flip out keys, are you talking about VW or Jag key? the VW's definitly wont work and all the Jag keys i've seen the key itself is very weird and different

what nifty flip out keys, are you talking about VW or Jag key? the VW's definitly wont work and all the Jag keys i've seen the key itself is very weird and different

i was wondering this as well. i've worked at ford dealerships for six years and have never heard of such a thing. furthermore a fob is the keyless entry remote. a key is just a key, or more specifically, a pats key.

Possible...

I've got one of those "switch blade" type k/fobs...and you DO need a dealer for programing the actual button functions, but if you have an old extra key(lets say with a cracked & breaking casing...), you can take the chip out of that one and use it in the new k/fob.

However, since you need to have the dealer program the button functions anyway, you may as well have them do the whole thing-meaning chip too- as well as cutting the key....unless you use the part of an old spare that is already cut.
;)

those dirty bastards want $40 to program a $50 key fob, anyone have a hemroid doughnut i can borrow im a bit tender after that

those dirty bastards want $40 to program a $50 key fob, anyone have a hemroid doughnut i can borrow im a bit tender after that

Well, since you're already in THAT mood...if it's a factory replacement k/fob, you can get them online for about $24.00, so they REEAAALLY want:
$40 for a $24 k/fob!

Yeah, the local dealersh1ts over here want....FREEEAAAKIN $100 to program AND cut the key...or just as bad... FIFTY to JUST program!:eek:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97-1996-1997-FORD-THUNDERBIRD-FLIP-KEY-REMOTE_W0QQitemZ160337619709QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2554ddeafd&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1171|240%3A1318

y wouldnt this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97-1996-1997-FORD-THUNDERBIRD-FLIP-KEY-REMOTE_W0QQitemZ160337619709QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2554ddeafd&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1171|240%3A1318

y wouldnt this work?

I saw this but I didn't think it would work. I wouldnt mind having one :)

it wont work because 95-97 thunderbirds did not have PATS (Pasive Anti Theft System) so the keys for them will not have the PATS "chip", and without the PATS "chip" the LS will not start. thats why the thunder birds (pre 2002) have a small black handle or a flat metal handle and the handle on our keys are so big

Members online

Back