problems

2002_lincolnLS

Custom User Title
Reaction score
So I drove my car to Pittsburgh this weekend (200 miles or so) for my brothers wedding. And I had a group of issues with my car.

2002 V-8
85,000 miles
5 of 8 coils replaced
new fuel filter
new MAF
clean air filter

It will run fine but going up hills in the 1500-2000 rpm range it will stutter, surge and even die. I tried letting it idle with out the filter on and still ran a bit rough.

This is not all the time some times it drove perfectly

First problem is an ongoing MAF Circuit low input ( put a new sensor in about 2 months ago, actually 2 of them first one was junk) I have no idea how to test the circuit IE: which wires in the plug go where and what the correct voltages should be

Next I have an off and on 3rd cylinder misfire, I replaced both the coil and the spark plug, I think it may the injector but not sure, any way to test the coil circuit or injector?

Finally it is running lean on bank one and two, on the way there it said rich on bank two, but now its lean... what the hell is going on here.

You might want to replace all 8 coils and plugs and see if there's any further issues.

My guess is that the MAF circuit has to be fixed before you can effectively troubleshoot any other problems. I've heard that sometimes the EGR sensors can cause problems with MAF voltages.

Unfortunately, I don't have the gen I wiring diagrams and I know that the gen I MAF is different from the gen II. It might be worth the dealer's $100 diagnostic charge instead of blindly replacing parts.

yeah, this one has me at a loss for ideas, all the coils I have replaced are less than a year or so old. And I do not have the extra money to just go and replace 8 coils for no reason

This sounds like a vacuum leak...

I would suggest that or a jumped timing chain, but he has a MAF circuit fault. If the MAF isn't working right, you will get lean and/or rich mixture problems.

I would suggest that or a jumped timing chain, but he has a MAF circuit fault. If the MAF isn't working right, you will get lean and/or rich mixture problems.

true. Could the EMI from the misfiring cylinder 4 (whether coil related or injector related) cause the wonky MAF readout?

Also, 2002_lincolnls, what is the exact code you are getting for the MAF circuit fault?

Its, cylinder 3 that was faulting, but its not all the time I replaced the coil then again thinking I got a junk coil, and the spark plug.

I'll scan it on lunch again, I forget the exact coeds.

That's fine I just wanted to correct so that others that may reply won't get confused,

Thanks for all the replies and ideas guys

Okay here are the codes,

P0171 lean
P0174 lean can' remember which is what bank but it is lean on both

P0102 MAF Low input...

I love this car but man does she drive me up a wall....when she runs right she drives lol

Is the MAF sensor installed in an OEM intake tube, or a MAF adapter?

improper positioning of the sensor can cause a "low" read, or an "out of range" code.

We had an ebay intake on my wife's scion that was supposed to be for an 08, but ended up being for 05-07, before they changed to a smaller intake diameter where the MAF goes.

We couldnt get rid of the "out of range" code until we bought a new Injen intake, with the correct tubing diameter.

It has a maf adapter, I will look at that after work, maybe leaking around that or something to that tune

Which MAF adapter are you using? it may be the incorrect size (not necessarily a leak, but the MAF may not be getting the correct amount of airflow, as it has to be within a pretty tight range)

Which MAF adapter are you using? it may be the incorrect size (not necessarily a leak, but the MAF may not be getting the correct amount of airflow, as it has to be within a pretty tight range)

It's from Orielly auto. I have had it on there for over a year and its just been acting goofy as of late,

Have you tried reseting the pcm. I just installed my intake tube. It runs a lot different after i discontected the battery for a couple hours (and connected the terminals together).... probably not it, but worth a shot... good luck

well I took apart my CAI (filter, adapter, and MAF ) and found my gasket was messed up. I fixed all that cleared the codes and went for a drive. drives pretty well and no more codes, but it will still hesitate or stutter just a little bit up hills in the 1500ish rpm range..

gotta look into it.

I figured you were fine with the MAF, and it would just be a CAI issue.

Could the stuttering be the TC failing to lock? or slipping?

Yeah, it had been difficult because the errors kept changing and never did it in the same situations

I will check the tc today or tomorrow any tips on what to look for

well I took apart my CAI (filter, adapter, and MAF ) and found my gasket was messed up. I fixed all that cleared the codes and went for a drive. drives pretty well and no more codes, but it will still hesitate or stutter just a little bit up hills in the 1500ish rpm range..

gotta look into it.

What gear? You could be lugging the engine and confusing the computer.

Members online

No members online now.
Back