problems

What gear? You could be lugging the engine and confusing the computer.

I think it is 5 gear, I'm not sure I'll try to pay attention to it tomorrow. I know its when I am going up a slight incline. It will be around 2000 to 2500 rpm and then it will shift and go to about 1500 and then start to jerk, it's very subtle now and I haven't had a engine code since I fixed the gasket...

G-Rell I have some cleaner laying around so I will try it and see if it helps

I really don't think it's transmission problems it may be but it has just a little stutter at idle like a hiccup or two then it will be fine then a little later it will again. Could it need a tranny flush and new fluid. ( its an old wife's tail about it being destroyed after ) any way to eliminate the tranny other than pulling it out. Also how would you even test the converter.

I'm looking to through money I don't have at parts that don't need replaced

I really don't think it's transmission problems it may be but it has just a little stutter at idle like a hiccup or two then it will be fine then a little later it will again. Could it need a tranny flush and new fluid. ( its an old wife's tail about it being destroyed after ) any way to eliminate the tranny other than pulling it out. Also how would you even test the converter.

I'm looking to through money I don't have at parts that don't need replaced

My experience (not just LS related) is that the vast majority of "I think it might be the transmission" concerns turn out to actually be engine issues. When it really is the transmission, you'll know it and won't start out with "I think it might..."

Of course if you take it to a chain shop like Mr Transmission or AAMCO (All Automatics Must Come Out), they will assure you that it is the transmission.

Low or bad fluid wouldn't give the symptoms you have.
Bad fluid often causes a torque converter stutter.
Low fluid would cause loss of engagement, usually when on an incline.

With the right scan tool, the KOER self-test might be helpful. Among other things it would tell you if any of the cylinders were contributing less than the others.

My car "hiccups" in 5th gear when the converter locks up too early ad the revs drop to 1500rpm. Also vibrates and "hiccups" when braking to a stop. 3 transmission shops and two dealerships (nick Mayer in westlake and Ganley in middleburg hts if you wondered) have attributed this to the torque converter. The tc itself isn't too bad @ around 2-300$. But it is very labor intensive to pull the trans. And I just haven't had the motivation to do it. So I've dealt with it for over a year.

I would say the weird idle could be an IACV on it's way out (would explain why it's sporadic) but since it happens when you are on the throttle under load, that would rule out the IACV.

Joe, what exactly is a KOER test, my scan tool can perform this but what does it test and show.

Joe, what exactly is a KOER test, my scan tool can perform this but what does it test and show.

Key-On-Engine-Running

The PCM goes through a series of diagnostic tests on the running engine, including a cylinder balance test and a stronger (than during normal operation) check for misfires.

Key-On-Engine-Running

The PCM goes through a series of diagnostic tests on the running engine, including a cylinder balance test and a stronger (than during normal operation) check for misfires.

Okay, I will run that tomorrow on my lunch break and post the results

I ran the KOER test and it came back with

P1000, not sure what i should do about this...

I ran the KOER test and it came back with

P1000, not sure what i should do about this...

P1000 = your emissions monitors are not complete. I assume that you've recently disconnected the battery.

If that's all your scan tool returned, it's not going to do you much good. When I run the test, I get about a hundred parameters back about the test results.

I have had these same problems! My car will stutter in fifth when going up hills and my car has died three times at idle. I have just had my transmission rebuilt and i am losing hope in my car. I have no check engine light, and the only thing my mechanic said would be to replace the iacv, but that would only seem to fix the dying problem.

I have had these same problems! My car will stutter in fifth when going up hills and my car has died three times at idle. I have just had my transmission rebuilt and i am losing hope in my car. I have no check engine light, and the only thing my mechanic said would be to replace the iacv, but that would only seem to fix the dying problem.

The uphill stutter is classic COP failure

Members online

No members online now.
Back