Problems with engine temperature.

P Rock

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Lincoln LS V8 and haven't driven it in a couple days. I drove it today for about 5 minutes to a drive through and all of a sudden, it says "check engine temperature" in the display. I look at the temp gauge and it's 3 quarters of the way up. I'm stuck in the drive through for about another 3 minutes and it shoots up again very rapidly and I get another alert saying "engine power reduced". Now, I'm like "sh*t!", I need to get out of this drive through and a couple minutes later, I finally get my food and parked it immediately. I pop the hood and there's no smoke whatsoever, look underneath and nothing is leaking. I sit there for a half hour eating and waiting. I start it up and the temperature is normal but the check engine light is on. I cautiously drive it for the 10 minute ride home. The whole way home, the temperature never rose past the middle of hot and cold, it stayed in the middle the whole time and the car seemed to run fine (other than the check engine light). What could this be? ...maybe a bad temp sensor?
what should I check first?

Thanks in advance

Well since you have thrown a fault code, I would get that pulled. Go to AutoZone and have them pull engine codes for you. That would be a good start. Of course, this is assuming that you are no longer under warranty. ;)

JoshMcMadMac said:
Well since you have thrown a fault code, I would get that pulled. Go to AutoZone and have them pull engine codes for you. That would be a good start. Of course, this is assuming that you are no longer under warranty. ;)

So you don't think I actually have an overheating problem? I wouldn't think so since I drove the car 10 minutes home without the temp going up at all.
Sorry for such a dumb question but what exactly does "thrown a fault code" mean? Thanks for the reply :biggrin:

Last edited:
P Rock said:
So you don't think I actually have an overheating problem? I wouldn't think so since I drove the car 10 minutes home without the temp going up at all.
Sorry for such a dumb question but what exactly does "thrown a fault code" mean? Thanks for the reply :biggrin:
Fault codes are stored in your cars computer. When the computer finds a problem it records it. Then you can get that code from the computer. Each code has a different definition, so you can use that to determine what it is that the computer found wrong. The check engine light ensures that there is a code. However, you can have a code without the light being on.

could be vaporlock -- this happened to me on my mark viii. basically its an air pocket in the cooling system that interferes with proper cooling.

and ive seen cars with temp into the red not smoke. dont -assume- its not overheaating. its not worth the cost of a new engine if your wrong.

I have the same problem on my 01, it just started happening last week. A few days ago i installed a new ECT sensor (will have an article w/ pics in the tech section) and later that day it happened again. After that, i replaced the thermostat, and flushed the coolant with the front of the car jacked up to try to get rid of air pockets. Next day it came on again, so i replaced the overflow resivoir cap hoping it was maybe just a pressure leak, im still waiting for results.

As for the codes you set: "Engine Overtemperature Detected" "Cylinder Head Over Temp. Detected", those are the codes the LS will set when it goes into "fail safe cooling" mode. by the way you better hope this doesnt happen in the middle of traffic, the reduced engine power makes the car feel like it has a lawnmower engine in it.

Im hoping the overflow cap was the solution (because the system has to be under 15psi). If not, i would think the problem is either electrical, or possibly a blown/leaky head gasket that is pushing combustion gasses into the coolant and creating air pockets. Whatever it is, i will keep you posted, i have to get mine fixed as well. I will try to write that tech section asap, maybe it will help you out.

One other thing i forgot to mention: reason i replaced the ECT first, when i would run datastream on my scan tool, the Cylinder Head Temp would read around 60F when the Engine Temp Sensor's would read 220F. The sensors should all read the same under normal conditions.

I'm not that familiar with the LS cooling system but after listening to the description, it sounds like the electric cooling fan(s) are not working. Whenever you have a temp problem while sitting still that goes away while moving, that should be the first thing to consider.

No offense, but im not that stupid. That would be the first thing i would have checked, but unfortunately the LS has Hyrdaulic cooling fans. Obviously fan speed is controlled by engine rpm.

And it doesnt just happen when sitting still, it will intermittently happen while driveing, then go away a minute later, thats why im thinking electrical problem (its not really over heating, the computer just thinks it is)

You really think i would go through all that work before checking the cooling fan?

Last edited:
The LS uses a hydraulic fan and has a seperate fluid resivor for it on the front passenger side of the engine bay.

My LS overheated very quickly when in traffic, fine while on the highway - turns out that I broke the stiff hose coming off the fan pump (which is on the engine) and once the fluid drained out the fan stopped.

Last edited:
mikepietras04 said:
No offense, but im not that stupid. That would be the first thing i would have checked, but unfortunately the LS has Hyrdaulic cooling fans. Obviously fan speed is controlled by engine rpm.

And it doesnt just happen when sitting still, it will intermittently happen while driveing, then go away a minute later, thats why im thinking electrical problem (its not really over heating, the computer just thinks it is)

You really think i would go through all that work before checking the cooling fan?

Oh, hey wait a second, let me look into my crystal ball and see how much you personally know about cars! Not like I've never seen experienced mechanics overlook the obvious before. As I said, I'm not too familiar with that model car but was just trying to help out anyway. Sorry to "insult" you. :rolleyes:

Ok everyone, I checked the resovior for the hydraulic fan and it's full. Nothing leaking so that's ruled out. Any other suggestions?

when the car is overheating, get out and check that fan - make sure its working.

Joeychgo said:
when the car is overheating, get out and check that fan - make sure its working.

Be careful suggesting anything simple "could" be taken as an INSULT around here. I keep forgeting how smart these kids are. :rolleyes:

The LS cooling system has a very complex bleeding proceedure. It isn't as simple as draining, filling and running the heat to circulate the coolant. There are a couple of "bleed" valves. I don't have the proceedure handy. I let my dealer/independent shop handle it. If it hasn't happened again, something may have temporarily jammed the thermostat.

I just took the car to autozone and they ran a diagnostic on it. The guy said it is my EGR valve, something to do with me air/fuel he said when I asked further. I don't know how this would relate to the car over heating but he said it can cause the manifold or catalytic converter to heat up. Where do I go from here? I'm really trying not to take it to a dealer or mechanic because I'm very limited on cash right now. Anything else I can do? :frown:

Katshot said:
Be careful suggesting anything simple "could" be taken as an INSULT around here. I keep forgeting how smart these kids are. :rolleyes:

Awww, your getting all pissed off, thats cute. Let's not try to make ourself feel supirior here without knowing my background. I don't feel i need to prove this to you, but i'd be happy to fill you in if you need to be reassured that you aren't top dog here.

mikepietras04 said:
Awww, your getting all pissed off, thats cute. Let's not try to make ourself feel supirior here without knowing my background. I don't feel i need to prove this to you, but i'd be happy to fill you in if you need to be reassured that you aren't top dog here.

Oh PLEASE! Give me a break. The LAST thing I care about is being "top dog" as you put it. As I said, I'm not even all too familiar with the LS. The only things I know about them is that Ford has had a huge problem with them, they're slow, and three people I know have had nothing but problems with their LS's. So much so, that one person is on their second car after a Ford buy-back of the first LEMON! You, on the other hand seem to take yourself WAY too seriously, especially for a "kid". And as for "filling me in" about yourself, anytime you want to compare resumes, you let me know.
PS, I find it ironic that YOU spelled "superior" wrong! :rolleyes:

Alright, guys. Let's remember that we are communicating through a medium where it is easy to misinterpret what is being posted. Unfortunately black-and-white text removes intonation, body language, and attitude. The thing to remember is that you want to get something positive out of your post, and that you want to help the poor guy that is asking for help.

"....The thing to remember is that you want to get something positive out of your post, and that you want to help the poor guy that is asking for help..."

That was the point of my first post. I've been in the business for over 20 years and have seen a lot of guys overlook the simple stuff many times. I stated that I wasn't real familiar with the LS and suggested checking something simple. For my trouble, I get a load of attitude from some kid that obviously thinks he knows it all. Then he has the stones to incinuate that I'm worried about being the "top dog" around here. What the hell did I say to warrant THAT?
I'd just like to know how he fits his head inside his little LS.

Hey don't badmouth the LS or I'll be forced to point out that your Cadillac is (snicker) front-wheel drive! :)

Dutch said:
Hey don't badmouth the LS or I'll be forced to point out that your Cadillac is (snicker) front-wheel drive! :)

E-gads!! FWD?! God I HOPE not!!!
Hey, I actually LIKE the LS but it's true what I said about them. I was going to buy one but between the trouncing they always take in the print media, and the freinds/family that have/had them, I just couldn't bring myself to get one. Matter of fact, one lady I know has an '04 and is trying to get Ford to buy it back because it's in the shop more than in her garage. It's a hot-looking black one with all the options too. Damn shame really.
Getting back to MY car, take a look in the Fleetwood section. I posted some picts of me "playing around". Don't think a FWD can do THAT! Playin' around :biggrin:

Hey, sorry about the delay. I started work last week, and havent had any time to take a look back here. I fixed the problem.

The overflow resivoir cap was bad (it needs to be able to hold 15 psi). Then after that i found the little purge plug on the side of the overflow. It's a little black rubber cap on the left side, remove that guy, and let the car run till op-temp with the over-flow filled to max.

Members online

Back