Problem with Tranny fluid change - URGENT!

AVIVIII

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have spent the day working on my car, cleaned the engine bay, changed the air filter, changed the oil and started to change the transmission fluid, when I ran into a small problem.

I had no trouble getting the pan off, however, when I did get the pan down, I saw that there was a part in the pan that I wasnt expecting. It is a little white, top shaped (like a top that you would spin) plastic piece, about an inch and a half overall length, the thick part being about .5" in length and about .5" in diameter, in the middle of which is an o-ring and the rest of the length is taken up by a shaft about .25" in diameter. I dont know what this is or where it came from. If anyone could help me out with this I would really appreciate it.

The other thing, when I got a new filter, it had a new cork pan gasket in the box, but stamped on the pan it says that the original gasket is reusable. Which one should I use??

Last edited:
I have been told when the cars are made that a peice similar to what you describe falls into the pan when they put the dip stick in. I guess it plugs the hole where the dipstick comes in. What would worry me is if this is true, this means this is the first time someone has changed the tranny fluid. How many miles are on the car?

As far as the gasket, if rubber, I may reuse it depending on the condition. Otherwise just go with the new one. I've never liked cork gaskets though.

THe original gasket is reusable, but its a matter of preference, some use the new one, some re-use the old one.

That plastic part is garbage. If its a little plastic plug with a rubber o-ring, don't worry, this was in the dipstick tube while the engine was assembled on the assembly line and falls into the transmission pan. It's not a broken or missing part! Discard it or keep it as a souvenier.

I do not think i would be too alarmed. Like AVI said. In the few trannys i have seen it does not look like anything that looks like that can come out of those small openings. I didnt have any large tubes in my tranny to loose parts on. Sometimes also the automakers get lazy and they may have thrown a part in the pan or lost a part when assembling the car. And also as AVI said hopefully that is not the first time the pan has come down. How many miles?

If it really worries you, you can drop a couple bucks and have a trans shop check it out but then you worry about them making stuff up. Does it shift alright?

Thanks guys i called my favorite L&M shop and asked the Service Manger, he hooked me up no problem. I ended up reusing the original gasket, it was fine. The scary thing is that the car has 65,000 miles on it. Be the diff fluid hasn't been changed either....

That little piece means the tranny has never been serviced before. How many miles on the car? My concern is that the new fluid may actually "kill" the tranny. Talk to your shop and make sure they add the modifier. They will know what I am talking about.

Also, always reuse the gasket. It is far superior to the cheap cork crap that they give you when you buy the filter.

transgopic3.JPG

When you remove your metric AODE pan the first time, you'll find this little thingy floating around inside. (The video doesn't mention anything about it) Don't worry; it's a plug used during factory assembly that pops into the pan the first time the dipstick is inserted. Remove it from the pan and continue.

http://www.sccoa.com/articles/transgo.html

You can examine, clean and re-use the original gasket. You can also buy a rubber factory gasket. DO NOT use the cork gasket. Make sure to torque the pan bolts evenly and check and recheck until the gasket is sufficiently compressed.

MonsterMark said:
My concern is that the new fluid may actually "kill" the tranny.
I think that 65,000 is safe. If it were closer to 100k I would think twice about getting the transmission serviced, but the car should be fine. A lot of car manufacturers are now stating that under normal driving conditions to only change the fluid every 100k, or 50k under extreme conditions.

Many mfgs also used to list longer oil change intervals except under extreme circumstances. Though if you read their definition of extreme it was city driving or esentially anything but almost solely highway driving.

JoshMcMadMac said:
I think that 65,000 is safe. If it were closer to 100k I would think twice about getting the transmission serviced, but the car should be fine. A lot of car manufacturers are now stating that under normal driving conditions to only change the fluid every 100k, or 50k under extreme conditions.

purelux said:
Many mfgs also used to list longer oil change intervals except under extreme circumstances. Though if you read their definition of extreme it was city driving or esentially anything but almost solely highway driving.
Very true. But I also changed the oil in my Jeep every 5k, when they recommended 7500 mile changes. And it ran like a champ for the 18 years my family owned it. But I do agree, the manufacture is not always right. I still think that 65,000 isn't too late for a tranny service.

I think ill be fine, 80% of the 15k that I have put on so far this year has been on the highway, even though it was at 90 mph....

AVIVIII said:
I think ill be fine, 80% of the 15k that I have put on so far this year has been on the highway, even though it was at 90 mph....
I really wouldn't worry about it, man. It's fine. :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back