Problem with PIE Adapter FRDN-AUX install

mholhut

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I received my PIE adapter to wire my XM radio into the stereo. It was pretty straight forward... just install the PIE adapter between the stereo and the existing connection, connect the ground, connect the power to pin 9 (back/orange) connect the box to the PIE harness, connect the RCA's to the box, plug in the XM and rock and roll....

Not quite.

It plays both the CD and the XM at the same time. The LS radio display shows it hunting back and forth between the CD1 and CD2. Full signal on the XM radio. Any thoughts?

Just a suggestion, though I went with the USA Spec adapter and not the PIE: disconnect the battery and let the head unit "reset". When it powers up it should go thru the "see what components I have connected" sequence and recognize the two different components. I needed to do this. The first time I powered the radio after the USA spec install I too hastily hit the CD button and the unit acted like the adapter was not there. A battery disconnect/reconnect later (with proper waiting for the 6CD to go thru the "boot" sequence) and all is well.

Just a suggestion.

Sh&t, forgot to say let it sit a few minutes (like 10 minutes at least, the longer the better). if the CD (regular) player does not do its boot sequence (mine spent ~10 seconds on each CD slot doing something) then it may have retained its memory thru the battery disconnection and thus the effect is lost.

Seeing how late it is I would disconnect it overnight and come back tomorrow morning. If you can't wait that long then at least an hour disconnected to make sure my suggestion is not valid.

Let me know how the reboot goes, I am itching to install my XM radio. Now that I know the PIE adapters will possibly work.

I need my XM

Umm one more thing do either you have the Alpine Sport radio CD6? If the adapter works, I will be one happy new owner :)

I left the battery disconnected for about 15-20 minutes, tried it again and same thing. I'll let it sit a while longer this morning to see if that helps. Knowing my luck, it won't do it. I'm thinking that I'll remove the harness, solder in the extensions and have at it again.

FWIW, my car is the standard audio system (non-alpine) with 4 speakers and the changer in the glovebox.

mholhut said:
I left the battery disconnected for about 15-20 minutes, tried it again and same thing. I'll let it sit a while longer this morning to see if that helps. Knowing my luck, it won't do it. I'm thinking that I'll remove the harness, solder in the extensions and have at it again.

FWIW, my car is the standard audio system (non-alpine) with 4 speakers and the changer in the glovebox.

I didn't have the same problem, however, I did have a problem using the 12 volt wires you used. Try wiring it to a different switched source. Once I changed mine, the adapter worked great.

I used the PIE adapter to hook up my MP3 player. The MP3 player plays fine but the CD's sound like crap. I also notice on the paper that came with it that you have to disconnect the CD changer. I disconnected the PIE but left the wire harness connected to the CD changer. Still sounds like crap and volume is low, but as soon as I hook everything back to normal it sounds fine. Maybe I will try to fine a new power source and disconnect the battery, I already switched the ground and that did nothing.

does the same adapter supposidly work on all ls decks? I have the non alpine with built in 6 disc changer.
Eamonn

hockey930 said:
does the same adapter supposidly work on all ls decks? I have the non alpine with built in 6 disc changer.
Eamonn
I have an '02 with the built in 6disc. My adapter has worked fine. Sucked to install, but works great.
Pie Adapter.JPG

Pie Adapter.JPG

hockey930 said:
Eamonn

I have an 02, non-alpine with built in 6 disk changer and it's worked great.

Aparently, the FRDN-AUX does not work if you have a slave CD changer (ie, the one in the glovebox or one in the trunk), according to tech support at PIE. They said the FRDN-AUX harness is for single CD or in-dash changers... doesn't make sense becuase the directions on the FRDN-AUX say that the new harness connects the old harness to the radio deck. I really don't get it.

Anyways, they said I needed the X3-FRDW. Not only is it cheaper, but it will give me 3 inputs to choose from. I just hope it works. So unless someone says that they have a CD changer in the trunk/glovebox and have used the FRDN-AUX, I'm gonna go with the X3-FRDW. Anyone?

Man this :q:q:q:q is really annoying!

I wish these things were cheaper, does anyone know where to get the least expensive adapter? ( I know, I'm a cheap bastard)
Eamonn

You have to disconnect your cd changer for it to work. The radios with the tape deck do not have the dj function, so you can't access the the aux input. I hooked up an mp3 player through mine so I could care less about having a cd player I'll never use. I thought I've seen some sort of switch you can buy where it will toggle between different inputs, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, PIE told me I had to loose the cd changer which I thought was kinda stupid. So the company I bought it from is telling me that I need a different harness, the PXFD98 which has the 20 and 16 pin connecters to allow me to retain the cd changer and give me 3 aux inputs. To use the inputs you flip a toggle switch... to listen to the cd player, you flip it back. Sounds good, but they don't list a specific application for the LS... another trial and error. It's great to take the information you learned from others and realize it was a huge waste.

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but i was curious if anyone had purchased the Peripherals PXFD98 and had it work as intended. I know the LS isnt listed in the compatibility list, but doing some research, ive found that the back of the Continental's radio looks very similar to ours. Anyone? I'll call tomorrow, but i was hoping someone on here has success with this, as I trust you guys input most.

I'm going to start this thread again but for a different reason. I have on 05 v8 sport from what I can tell.

My question is where did y'all mount the antenna for your xm radio? Currently mine is sitting on the top of the right quarter panel. I really want to try to avoiding using double face tape to stick it to the trunk and the lead is not long enough to go to the roof.

Members online

No members online now.
Back