Price on HIDs?

mhinchley

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
What does it cost to change to HID from the factory for a Gen 1 (housings/ballasts/bulbs/etc)? Looking at that vs new assemblies and aftermarket HID kit.

Somewhere around 1200 I believe from the dealer, a little cheaper IF you can find them used.

a member, I may go ahead and do that anyway since it is not much and I like the site here. My housing are fine, they must have been replaced recently before I bought the car. I think I may try an aftermarket system HID, since the housing are fine. I wonder how long they will prolong the life of good housings..................with the HIDs running at a lower temp then the Halogens????? Any idea on if that is a good thought or not? Experience with aftermarket systems.........good or bad?

try and fine a set of hid off a late 95 or 6 they will work but you have to change the wiring there is a thread on site i belive about this jd

On my conti's aftermarket HID, I think they are pretty good.BTW, why do you guys always wanna put the factor Mark VIII HIDs, why not just aftermarket? Its alot cheaper too.Marks factory 1200 or so(from what pioneerCrazed said and for the after market its about 200-400

First off it is COMPLETELY useless to change out the factory lighting to aftermarket HID's in a VIII because it is not the light that is the problem, it is the housings that are the problem (at least on a first gen). So, you pretty much have to change out the whole thing to the factory HID's. Now, the factory HID's are pretty expensive, but if you are a gold member here you get a decent discount. What price it is I am not sure, but I know it is a better price than the regular over the counter price. Now, you MIGHT be able to purchase a new set of regular housings and 'try' the aftermarket HID route, but that could be REALLY expensive if it does not work. So, you are WAY better off purchasing the factory HID setup from Max at 5 Star Ford.....and a gold membership here (1-800-866-1520 ext. 236).

Hope that answers most of the questions.

Hi Guys

Thank you for the kind words, oh Love that tat WYKD it is awsome.
The reg housings are 278.85 each and cost you $200.77 each the HID's on the other are complete with ballasts and bulb and housing and list for 829.55 and cost you $597.28 each plus ins. and ups. Replacement bulbs are also available, contrary to popular belief, and fit 95-98 (with some conn changes) and list for 246.50 and cost you $170.79.

I would also like to ad, that it is illegal to install HID bulbs in a non HID housing. If you want a really good light projection, and your housings are still good, buy a set of HIR bulbs. P/N 9011. They are designed to illluminate with a higher lumens rating that regular halogens while using the same wattage. Usually 65 watts or power. I have seen them for $27.95 a piece. They require a slight modification to the base, but thats it.

AHD said:
I would also like to ad, that it is illegal to install HID bulbs in a non HID housing. If you want a really good light projection, and your housings are still good, buy a set of HIR bulbs. P/N 9011. They are designed to illluminate with a higher lumens rating that regular halogens while using the same wattage. Usually 65 watts or power. I have seen them for $27.95 a piece. They require a slight modification to the base, but thats it.

i have read many times that it is also illegal to use bulbs like that too, basically it is illegal to use any bulb other than what is listed in factory specs,but who will actually worry about this..........its like having people in the UK for so many years worrying about anal sex being illegal.i am sure they still had it,lol,now it is legal there.

just one of those laws people are gonna break .....

on that note : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8047309173

Members online

No members online now.
Back