price check...

Asialee

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Haven't been on lately so Happy new Year everyone....

Yesterday as I was taking my daughter to school, a Turkey decided to run into my car, he smacked right into my drivers side view mirror and broke the glass! Needless to say, the mirror was hanging by the wires so I'm pretty sure the motor will need to be replaced. Now it still works, if I lock my car the light still comes on and I hear the motor running if I was going to change the view settings. So I'm just wondering how much are we talking here to replace this ???

Have a good day :)

err.. the light that's under the side mirror :)

I don't have any cost estimate, but I can advise that you will get much better results asking for the driver's side view mirror or the passenger side view mirror, which ever it was.

When you say "rear view mirror", everyone will be thinking of the rear view mirror, which is the one inside the car, at the upper center of the windshield. I know, I was trying to picture how a turkey running into your car broke the rear view mirror inside the car.

I don't have any cost estimate, but I can advise that you will get much better results asking for the driver's side view mirror or the passenger side view mirror, which ever it was.

When you say "rear view mirror", everyone will be thinking of the rear view mirror, which is the one inside the car, at the upper center of the windshield. I know, I was trying to picture how a turkey running into your car broke the rear view mirror inside the car.

Big Turkey.

thanksgiving-turkey.jpg

You didnt specify a year either but:

http://www.automotix.net/usedautoparts/2000-lincoln-ls-door_mirror-product-4ur910476.html

I'm sorry.. it's the drivers side view mirror. and it's on a 04LS :(

I never want to see another Turkey for a long as I live !! this is about as bad as when I was a little girl, my uncle told me were eating Big Bird for thanksgivings !! You can't tell a four year old that LOL

I was checking out this site, very nice btw, but which type of mirror should I order ?? I don't have heated mirrors but i do have memory.. and what the hell is a puddle lamp ?:confused:

thank you !!`

The puddle lamp is that light that you said was still working.
You do have heated mirrors. (There's no button, but they are heated, just like your windshield has heaters for the wiper parking areas.)
Your driver's side mirror is also auto-dimming (controlled by the rear view mirror).

Could you post a picture of the remains of the mirror?

best off finding a salvaged / used one... but pics of yours would help to assess the damage...

Looks like the housing is still intact. Call up your local scrap yards to see if they have any similar LSes on the yard and you can pry the mirror portion our carefully.

Looks like the housing is still intact. Call up your local scrap yards to see if they have any similar LSes on the yard and you can pry the mirror portion our carefully.

with my luck, I'd break that mirror and have to pay for it and still be out of a mirror :(

Be aware that the turkey did more than just break the glass, you will also need to replace the motor unit as well as your pic shows that the glass mount that was secured to the motor assembly(with the center screw) broke away with the glass. The plastic housing(painted pieces) are easily removed so if you don't find one in your color you can swap yours over.

Be aware that the turkey did more than just break the glass, you will also need to replace the motor unit as well as your pic shows that the glass mount that was secured to the motor assembly(with the center screw) broke away with the glass. The plastic housing(painted pieces) are easily removed so if you don't find one in your color you can swap yours over.
I had a feeling that I was going to have to replace that motor unit as well.. someone here showed me a site as to where i could buy the entire mirror, Is it a easy swap of the motor ? Or do i need to take it to the dealership ?

I would just buy a whole new mirror. Insurance deductible probably exceeds mirror price.

I had a feeling that I was going to have to replace that motor unit as well.. someone here showed me a site as to where i could buy the entire mirror, Is it a easy swap of the motor ? Or do i need to take it to the dealership ?

It's not too bad if you know what you are doing. There's a trick to removing the mirror glass. My memory is not perfect, so I'll wait till this evening and check the manual. After the glass is out of the way, removal of the motor assembly (and puddle light if needed) is not difficult. You might want to try removing the broken one in your mirror before you try the replacement one.

It's not too bad if you know what you are doing. There's a trick to removing the mirror glass. My memory is not perfect, so I'll wait till this evening and check the manual. After the glass is out of the way, removal of the motor assembly (and puddle light if needed) is not difficult. You might want to try removing the broken one in your mirror before you try the replacement one.
Thanks Joe, yes please let me know what the manual tells you !! step by step would be awesome ;) I really appreciate it !!

Thanks Joe!! Took my car by the dealer yesterday to see what's what. Looks like I need just the motor and the mirror, the housing unit is still in good shape. A bit loose but not enough to where it'll fall off... Soon as i buy the mirror, I'll update up as to how everything is going.. again Thanks so much for your help !!

The way, would you happen to have instructions how to replace the motor part??

The way, would you happen to have instructions how to replace the motor part??

That's the last few steps at the bottom of the pages that I posted above. Once the mirror glass is off, it's just three screws and a connector and that's it.

That's the last few steps at the bottom of the pages that I posted above. Once the mirror glass is off, it's just three screws and a connector and that's it.

Wow you can tell i don't know much about parts LOL .....Thanks :)

Members online

Back