Premium Factory to Single DIN

HMBarger

LVC Member
Reaction score
About to start splicing the new harness in but just want to make sure I'll be doing this correctly.

image.jpgimage.jpg

What's got me questioning the install is the two plugs on the right, will I be able to just splice the new harness into the corresponding wires on the recantular harness and leave the other two unplugged since there's no where to plug them in or do I need an adapter for them?

Not worried about steering controls or the 6 disc in the glove box. Just want to get the new head unit installed to run with the factory amp and subs.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The subs are on the 8-pin connector. You'll need the correct harness that includes the mate to that connector. You'll also need a 2K ohm resistor to wire in series between the remote amp turn-on signal from your aftermarket unit and the signal to the sub amp. Otherwise, it will pop on turn on.

The subs are on the 8-pin connector. You'll need the correct harness that includes the mate to that connector. You'll also need a 2K ohm resistor to wire in series between the remote amp turn-on signal from your aftermarket unit and the signal to the sub amp. Otherwise, it will pop on turn on.

So something like this as well as the resistor? Where exactly should the resistor be wired in with this harness?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000YR6C2E/ref=ya_st_dp_summary

exactly like that...

the resistor goes in series between the amp turn on wire coming out of the radio and going into the amp turn on wire going into the harness,, the amp turn on wires are usually blue/white, however on some cheap radios that are not worth installing, it may be just blue (note that some radios have both a blue/white wire and a blue wire, in this case they are different)

Thanks for the info. The harness that came with the JVC unit pictured above had a label on the blue wire denoting that it was the amp wire, feel like I've got a pretty solid idea of what to do now.

Also as I was removing everything to remove the factory unit I noticed the LED in my ashtray does not work anymore, I had no clue there was even a light in there.

Do you know where I could find parts to rebuild the ashtray light while I have this all apart?

also, if that JVC has an orange or orange/white wire coming out of the harness (the cheaper ones usually dont) DO NOT connect it to the orange or orange/white wire in the wire harness linked from Amazon... it wont damage anything, but it wont work either... you will need to slightly extend that wire and run it down to one of those wires at that ashtray light bulb (man its been so long but I want to say its either an orange or green wire wire) other wise the radio will not dim automatically when the headlights come on, this can be very annoying at night.

Was not aware of that but the blue amp wire you mentioned and that orange one had little caps on the end of the JVC harness, I'll see if I can figure it out. I want to put a red LED in the ash tray since I just replaced all the interior bulbs with red a few weeks back.

It looks like there's a resistor running to the LED down there, I'll see if I can find a match at RadioShack or somewhere. Just wondering if anyone has done it before and knows exactly what to use.

LEDs work on a lower voltage than 12v like the rest of the car uses, depending on what LED you are using will dictate what resistor you should use.

The typical voltage drop of a normal red LED is 1.8V (white is often 3.0 to 4.0 volts). Also, the typical current of a normal "indicator" type LED is 20 mA. Given that the maximum voltage you should expect on the illumination circuit is 14 volts, Resistance = (14-1.8)/0.02 = 610 ohms. 620 ohms is the nearest standard value. (You can use a higher resistance value if you find you need it to be dimmer.)
Power needed is (14-1.8) * 0.02, so you need at least a 1/4 watt resistor.

Or just reuse the resistor in there if you use a red LED. Red, orange, yellow, lime green (stock), and IR all have the same voltage drop. White, blue, purple, pink, true green (similar to the blinker indicator), and UV have higher voltage drops and require a smaller resistor to have the same current. You could still reuse the stock resistor and not notice a difference anyway

I just ended up ordering a kit of resistors that contains 1675 pieces, 25 of each value from 1-10m ohm 1/4 watt. I'll try to reuse it but I'll have the one I need if I end up needing one.

Also how difficult is it to remove the 6 disc changer assembly from the glove box since mine won't be hooked up anymore? Would be nice to have a little extra room in there, haven't even really looked at it to see about taking it out yet.

Members online

Back