Practicial Head Unit

trickett90

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I did a quick search which only yielded info about subwoofers, install help, some streetrace between someone's 05 and an 08 bmw 335, and some other random ****. Disclaimer: I have a nice buzz and simply searched the term "audio". Sure I was lazy so if this bothers you, please voice your thoughts. I'll be sure to ignore it :cool:.

TL;DR: What are some practical double-din touch-screens to replace the thx to purchase without taking out a second mortgage?

It has been awhile guys. I have found myself consumed with websites catering to the career field I'm interested in as I'm getting out of the military fairly soon (two more days). I'll take a sweet pay cut and lifestyle change as I transition into the education world to turn the ASBA I got while I was in the military into a Bachelor's degree. Long story short: I've lost interest in the LS (sorry guys). I've had it longer than any other vehicle by more than two times. I've also dumped thousands into repairs, never mind maintenance. Lately I dream of my next car (German).

I hate the THX, always have. I am coming into a bunch of "transition" money. While most of it is going to practical things like moving expenses, a new much-needed laptop, savings, credit card debt, and IRA contributions; some of it I'm treating myself with. Like a new Smith & Wesson .40, a trip home to see the folks, and this head unit I'm asking you about. I just need something that isn't totally useless: the THX is that, not to mention outdated.

What is affordable, functional, and generally a good value?

2005 V8 with THX audio

Remember: I don't need the best, so exclude that from the discussion. I understand many of you will want a price range. I won't consider going over $500 and the less expensive the better, given functionality is still there. Include an approx. price in your post and I'll adjust my price range to the discussion as needed! Thanks in advance and apologies for the length!

EDIT: My explanation for my lost interest in this car is my reason for not wanting a top of the line head unit, and just a practical and affordable one.

I did a quick search which only yielded info about subwoofers, install help, some streetrace between someone's 05 and an 08 bmw 335, and some other random ****. Disclaimer: I have a nice buzz and simply searched the term "audio". Sure I was lazy so if this bothers you, please voice your thoughts. I'll be sure to ignore it :cool:.

TL;DR: What are some practical double-din touch-screens to replace the thx to purchase without taking out a second mortgage?

It has been awhile guys. I have found myself consumed with websites catering to the career field I'm interested in as I'm getting out of the military fairly soon (two more days). I'll take a sweet pay cut and lifestyle change as I transition into the education world to turn the ASBA I got while I was in the military into a Bachelor's degree. Long story short: I've lost interest in the LS (sorry guys). I've had it longer than any other vehicle by more than two times. I've also dumped thousands into repairs, never mind maintenance. Lately I dream of my next car (German).

I hate the THX, always have. I am coming into a bunch of "transition" money. While most of it is going to practical things like moving expenses, a new much-needed laptop, savings, credit card debt, and IRA contributions; some of it I'm treating myself with. Like a new Smith & Wesson .40, a trip home to see the folks, and this head unit I'm asking you about. I just need something that isn't totally useless: the THX is that, not to mention outdated.

What is affordable, functional, and generally a good value?

2005 V8 with THX audio

Remember: I don't need the best, so exclude that from the discussion. I understand many of you will want a price range. I won't consider going over $500 and the less expensive the better, given functionality is still there. Include an approx. price in your post and I'll adjust my price range to the discussion as needed! Thanks in advance and apologies for the length!

Does it have to have DVD or Nav? or Both...maybe neither? Does it even have to be double din?

Does it have to have DVD or Nav? or Both...maybe neither? Does it even have to be double din?

Double din yes: I'd rather not downgrade in that sense. I'm also assuming I won't need one of those dash adapter things if I keep the same size? If I do at least It won't really change the look.

DVD no: I have no use for it.

Nav preferably: It would be nice to have an in-dash NAV that isn't useless. I could use my smartphone, but it sucks to get to where you're going and leave it running to later discover a dead battery. At this point I don't utilize the THX NAV.

Double din yes: I'd rather not downgrade in that sense. I'm also assuming I won't need one of those dash adapter things if I keep the same size? If I do at least It won't really change the look.

DVD no: I have no use for it.

Nav preferably: It would be nice to have an in-dash NAV that isn't useless. I could use my smartphone, but it sucks to get to where you're going and leave it running to later discover a dead battery. At this point I don't utilize the THX NAV.

Good, I'll be awaiting the answers since this is something I've been looking for to. :D

But yeah I don't need DVD either would like Nav,

I believe you would need the steering wheel control adapter. As far as fit goes I think you would still most likely need a kit so it fits right, though I'm not sure.

I was just browsing crutchfield last night....didn't seem like a lot of options for Nav that were under $500-$600. All I saw was a Jensen I believe. Then again I'm looking for a gen I. Not sure of the difference in options between the two.

I believe you would need the steering wheel control adapter. As far as fit goes I think you would still most likely need a kit so it fits right, though I'm not sure.

I would probably go for this, as the steering wheel control are something I use. I remember reading about the adapters when I was more active on the site.

Thanks for the input man.

I would probably go for this, as the steering wheel control are something I use. I remember reading about the adapters when I was more active on the site.

Thanks for the input man.

I haven't checked many stores, but I believe it's around $100 for that particular adapter.

Maybe somebody knows where to get them cheap....besides ebay:eek:

Good, I'll be awaiting the answers since this is something I've been looking for to. :D

But yeah I don't need DVD either would like Nav,

I was just browsing crutchfield last night....didn't seem like a lot of options for Nav that were under $500-$600. All I saw was a Jensen I believe. Then again I'm looking for a gen I. Not sure of the difference in options between the two.

Crutchfield sucks.

Sonic electronix has better prices. most non-nav headunits are nav ready, and a module can be added later on to give it that function.

Or you can run the navigation off your phone. Jensen sucks. The best units are pioneer or kenwood. Alpine or Kenwood excelon if you have deep pockets.

Crutchfield sucks.

Sonic electronix has better prices. most non-nav headunits are nav ready, and a module can be added later on to give it that function.

Or you can run the navigation off your phone. Jensen sucks. The best units are pioneer or kenwood. Alpine or Kenwood excelon if you have deep pockets.

Yeah I've never been impressed with Crutchfield's prices. Was just randomly curious what I could find.

I've like every Kenwood I've owned. Have the first Sony anything I've ever owned in right now because I got it cheap.........NOT HAPPY AT ALL.

Oh well, when I sell the car it will go with it....it's not even worth pulling out to put the stock HU in.

Thanks for the info...I'll check out Sonic.

Look on Amazon as well.. They are usually well over $100 cheaper than crutchfield.

If you want Nav, you are going to have to up your budget...period

The steering wheel controls are $45
you WILL need a dash kit $25
Wiring Harness $15

And this assumes you do all the work yourself..

A unit that has Garmin Navigation built in will be the best..

If you are going to go thru all that trouble to install one, spend some money and get one you will actually like. The market seems to be saturated with cheap, piece of **** Double Din's these days..

Members online

No members online now.
Back