Power steering problems!!!!

gm76053

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok so when I go to turn the wheels of my 1996 conti. they squeak. I have checked the power steering fluid and it is full. so I'm thinking that there might be something wrong with the pump but I'm not sure. Think that someone could help me out here?????????????

I had the same proble And I think its called the tie rod that you have fix but I will look what they replaced

mine does that as well... also, when the car is turned off, as the air pockets rls, you can head the springs squeeking.

mark0101 said:
its called the RS outer Tie rod and it cost 318.46

wow mark who sold you that outer tie rod end?
at an online ford parts dealer the price for the rod is 71.00.installation plus alighnment shouldnt have taken over an hour tops.

Tie Rod End—Front Wheel
Steering Gear Installed

Removal

Remove and discard cotter pin and nut from worn tie rod end ball stud.

Disconnect tie rod end (3A130) from front wheel knuckle (3K185) using Tie Rod Remover TOOL-3290-D or equivalent.

Hold tie rod end with a wrench and loosen front wheel spindle connecting rod jam nut.

Mark depth to which front wheel spindle tie rod (3280) is located; then grip front wheel spindle tie rod with a pair of suitable pliers and remove tie rod end assembly from front wheel spindle tie rod.

Installation

Clean front wheel spindle tie rod threads.

Thread new tie rod end onto front wheel spindle tie rod to same depth as removed tie rod end.

Place tie rod end stud into front wheel knuckle. Make sure front wheels are pointed straight ahead before connecting stud to front wheel knuckle.

Install a new nut on tie rod end stud. Tighten nut to 47-63 Nm (35-46 lb-ft) and continue tightening nut to align next castellation of nut with cotter pin hole in stud. Install a new cotter pin.

Set toe to specification. Refer to Section 04-00 . Tighten jam nut to 47-63 Nm (35-46 lb-ft).

this is why i hate stealerships i can say the tech had the old one off easily in 15 min and the new one on in 10 min.even at full retail and an hours flatrate @100.00 an hour the job shouldnt have been over 200.00 bucks.:mad:

also advance has the trw rod with a lifetime warranty for 27.00

yeah outer tie rods are cheap.

Mine were squeking and when I had my wheel bearings done my mechanic greased them and no more squeeks

what sucks is lincoln didnt add a grease fitting to the rod ends,but after you have to buy a new set they come with greasable fittings.go figure

very few manufacturers (U.S. anyway) put grease fittings on the suspension parts.

since they buy them from suppliers, by getting them pre-greased (supposedly for life), they can take a step out of the assembly process on the line.. (no one needed to squirt grease into the fittings). Also, less chance (nearly 0) of a car going out without grease in some fitting.

Simple economics.

yeah i know teddy,but the older cars had them and the replacement ford part has them.if you look at the origonals as they come out there is usually a flat where the fitting should have been tapped.IMHO the companies are to cheap where it counts,and in many ways it looks as if they now engineer ways to make things fail (after warranty of course;) )

aristo1963 said:
wow mark who sold you that outer tie rod end?
at an online ford parts dealer the price for the rod is 71.00.installation plus alighnment shouldnt have taken over an hour tops.
I had it done By the Lincoln Dealership:rolleyes:

aristo1963 said:
yeah i know teddy,but the older cars had them and the replacement ford part has them.if you look at the origonals as they come out there is usually a flat where the fitting should have been tapped.IMHO the companies are to cheap where it counts,and in many ways it looks as if they now engineer ways to make things fail (after warranty of course;) )

yea, your probably right. But with all the cost cutting measures they are going thru, they look to save a nickel anywhere they can.

an example:.. I had an 88 dodge dakota, (v6). after about 6 months, it started to have a bad lifter tick when engine was cold... dealer claimed to not be able to verify it. when I went to pick it up.. the porter brought it out to me, there it was ticking as loudly as possible.. got service manager out to listen, bitched him and his techs out because they were incompentant. He told the porter to put it INSIDE the shop, and told me to come back that afternoon, they were putting a set of lifters in it. (well, I got my satisfaction anyway). They fixed it.. bottom line of the story is, some bean counter found a supplier that saved them like 10 cents a lifter... well over several hundred thousand lifters it adds up. unfortunatly, in some cases it also cost them about 800+ bones a vehicle to have the lifters changed.

its all just a matter of shaving every possible dime off the manufacturing costs of the vehicle.

When i was turning a wrench i had alot of fords and whatnot come in with the squeak usally balljoints that the sealed fittings grese worn out just pop a hole the boot with a pin style grease gun and load it up and clean off the excess.hope it works for you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back