Power Steering Leak @ Pressure Switch.....

yup. High pressure switch in the pressure line under the car is leaking through the contacts into the wiring harness.

2000 LS V8 104k miles

Same issue on a 2003 V6. Tired of just topping off power steering and looking into how to fix issue now before it gets cold.

The whole line needs replaced or just the switch? Any idea on a part number?

If you can drain the line and remove the switch. Take time to clean out the threads very good. Use some contact cleaner to remove any old oil in the thread. Then get some Locktite 545 pipe thread sealant and reinstall it. Allow some time to cure then refill you power steering system.
Probably it was over tightened when installed and stretched the threads.

Sounds Like its time to pony up for the new line. At least its not the pump that needs replaced.

you cant fix the leak. you must replace the line. it the actual electrical connector leaking and there are no threads to seal. i called the dealer and told them what was leaking they looked up the part said it was a power steering solenoid i think. dont remember. i never went and got it, but i need to. all the fluid has leaked out but my car hasnt moved for a few weeks

I leak about a half quart a month but it is still anoying and I am hoping to take care of the issue DIY before it becomes cold. Have to get to the dealer to check on part number and see about ordering.

160.00 from PARTS.COM . plus labor. Just another :q:q:q:qy ford part.

Mine popped suddenly when I started the car one evening. I lost all power steering inside 30 seconds. WTF does that pressure switch do anyways?

I don't know if that is what is leaking on my car. I have picture and will have to upload it if I get a chance tonight. Switch or sensor has two wires going in and is located under car in front of driver side tire on metal line from rack and pinion to power steering pump. Picture looks different but it may just be the drawing.

Interesting thanks for the links. I wondered if it might have something to do with the variable assist.

This is a photo of mine, squirting from the power steering pressure switch:
P09-06-13_19-23[1].jpg

P09-06-13_19-23[1].jpg

The electrical wires that go into it are easier to see here:
P09-06-13_19-02.jpg

Right behind the green area.

P09-06-13_19-02.jpg

Looks like a fire waiting to happen.........

Speaking of which...
I saw something I thought I would never see, late at night last Sunday, on I10 in Biloxi. We were west bound when we saw a bright glow from the east bound lanes. It was a car on fire and still driving down the road. This was blow-torch intense flames all under the car and up around the sides reaching over the windows. I don't know if they got out okay or not. We couldn't find anything in the news about it. (There was no way for us to get to them and there were plenty of cars on the side they were on.)

Speaking of which...I saw something I thought I would never see, We were west bound when we saw a bright glow from the east bound lanes. It was a car on fire and still driving down the road. This was blow-torch intense flames all under the car and up around the sides reaching over the windows.
Not to worry... I had a '64 Corvair Sport with 4 speed. I hadn't gotten around to putting in the small block V8 and I was running around town having a hell of a good time just rowing through the gears when a guy pulled up beside me pointing to my rear. Flames coming up the wheel wells and out the back when I got out to look! It must have been an awesome sight going down the road!
I popped open the engine cover and the guy used his fire extinguisher to put out the fire and all was well.
I had just gotten the car and hadn't really run it yet. I found out that those 6 cylinder boxer engines were prone to oil leaks which when heated on the exhaust ignited.

HoneyBear, do you have a gen1 or 2?

My PS has been leaking for almost 2 years now (very slowly).

I cannot tell if it is the pump casing or the sender switch. When I look with flashlight it looks like the connector is dry. Perhaps I can get a better vantage point with the driver's wheel well liner removed.

Wondering if anyone else with gen2 has had this leak.

04 with 130k.

Looks like a fire waiting to happen.........

Actually, this SUV that had been hell-bent on passing me suddenly backed off & I was looking intently in my rear view which is what made me notice all the smoke. The trail of fluid was running along my frame, so I initially thought it was a rear tire! Luckily I was close to my cabin, but I had intended to head to the gas station for a drink...

The bad thing is, I'm a truck driver so I'm ALWAYS watching my mirrors closely & I still didn't see it. Could've been bad...

I have replaced the line and it is still leaking at the end of the pressure switch thru the wire harness.

I just went and purchased the pressure switch that all you need if it's leaking from the harness,looking at how to replace without taking off unnecessary parts.

Leak at pressure switch

Anybody else had this happen?

FYI- 2002 LS V8 57K miles

I just went and purchased the pressure switch that all you need if it's leaking from the harness,looking at how to replace without taking off unnecessary parts.

Members online

No members online now.
Back