Possible broken main timing chain?

Hey fbird, I feel your pain as I broke a secondary timing chain about 9 months ago and that was a very sad day. I broke mine starting my car up to leave for work. It cost me about $1000 in parts and $300 to have the head fixed. I did the work myself and it was kinda a pain. Just think, I salvage yard motor might break a timing chain soon after you put it in your car depending on the abuse of the motor. I didn't have any piston damage, but like I said mine broke when starting not accelerating like you was. That $1000 included replacing everything behind the timing cover. Just think, if you replace your whole timing assembly it will be like a brand new motor. These engines usually don't have bottom end problems unless you are spraying it. Majority of the failures comes from the timing assembly. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!!

I did a quick search on CL around my area. I can get a set of heads for 300 bucks. Just FYI, fbird, if that's the route you need to go.

Cut the floor out and Flinstone it.

I might have to. So sad seeing it just sitting in there knowing it's going nowhere for a long time. Actually pete, I do need to wash it, as it was filthy the day it blew up. Can you get me details on that stuff that you can wash a car indoors with?

slick- thanks. Not sure what's gonna happen, but there is probably almost for sure more than just timing damage. Not looking forward to it....

demarko- Strange how some of us tend to own the same cars. Pretty cool though, goes to show that some of us have very similar taste in cars. Now if you said you too had a srt-4, then I'd start to worry :D

Just send me a pm with your address again. I'll hook you up with some Optimum No Rinse.

I did a quick search on CL around my area. I can get a set of heads for 300 bucks. Just FYI, fbird, if that's the route you need to go.

Really? Cool. I did a quick craigslist search of the metro but didn't come up anything. When the time comes I'll definitely be checking that out. Tax return might be my savior, we'll see.

Thanks. I hope that's virginia minnesota and not out on the east coast.

there is one here on St. Louis Craigslist listed for 750$ aprox. 150k, but it has been listed for close to 6 months now, so he would probably take less to move it....only 8-9 hour drive. :shifty:

Engineering degree's don't include communications degree's for those who are sticklers about choosing the correct wording to get the correct point across.

Many times I've read paragraphs written by engineers which do not mix well with the common folk. Proof reading and evaluating what was written as to meaning what is to be translated to another folk is at issue, especially from an engineer.

That is why they have job positions to write owners manuals and so forth because none of the language from engineers is smoothly translated with the choice of words. Looking at what you write from all types of angles first and re-writing to zero in so that there is less room for error on the part of the reader is crucial.

Usually, more words if chosen correctly, gets the point across best.

^
I saw you post in here and I thought we were going to say those went on you..
I was just about to post that your LS must not love you.. :rolleyes: :lol:

As someone with both a technical degree (Chemistry) and a PhD (American Lit) my only comment is that I don't ever remember having trouble understanding anything Joe's put out here. Or having any significant disagreement with his facts. He always seems to be right on the money.

KS

As someone with both a technical degree (Chemistry) and a PhD (American Lit) my only comment is that I don't ever remember having trouble understanding anything Joe's put out here. Or having any significant disagreement with his facts. He always seems to be right on the money.

KS

What he said (minus the degrees lol).

KS

I know this is off topic, but out of curiosity, what prompted you to pursue a PhD in American lit after receiving a degree in chemistry? I, too, have a chem degree, pursuing a PhD in chem currently.

Academia And What Passes For Course Work

About six months after getting the AB in Chem, I finished the last class (Independent Study) and also got an AB in Sociology. And that was it for a while. But my minor was English and after a few years I became Tech Editor at Large and columnist for Super Ford Magazine, among other posts. And I, ultimately, got motivated to write a book. I've now done three and am at work on the fourth. The PhD is an outgrowth of the first book. They looked at my other work and agreed to accept the published book as my dissertation.

KS

Members online

No members online now.
Back