popped of the fuel connector tabs on fuel pump

if you are replacing the entire unit - the basket, pump, connectors - as the swap unit comes from Ford - then you can destroy the clip, and cut it using small cutters.

If you need to save it (I don't know where you can buy another piece other than buying the entire unit - then try this:
- push down hard on the line (pushing it back in)
- squeeze on the lip of the red ring even so slightly
- yank up quickly on the hose

it can be every difficult....

Quik I got it off. It was very easy once I figured out exactly where to place the pressure. I had to figure out how the clip actually worked.

Instead of squeezing the red lip as we thought, I had to put the needle nose pliers around the hose on top of the red lip, and then just push down slightly on the red lip keeping the pliers against the hose but not squeezing the hose. The line pulled out as easy as the other line with the clip still in tact. I was worried there for a minute because I knew I was screwed if that wouldn't come off.

Wait til you see what I built to remove the lockring retainer nut. It's awesome and it worked like a champ. It has to be far better than the actual tool they charge $40+ dollars for because mine has handles for plenty of leverage!

since you have purchased the entire assembly, you only have to worry about getting to it. Ford use a big locking washer the screws (like a lid) onto the top of the gas tank, squeezing the lid of the pump to the top of the tank. YOu can see it in the picture in the #7 post.

There is a special tool that you can buy (like $70 - listed in another thread somewhere) - I just used a piece of metal flat bar.

the rest of it just snaps, pops, and pushed together.

since you have purchased the entire assembly, you only have to worry about getting to it. Ford use a big locking washer the screws (like a lid) onto the top of the gas tank, squeezing the lid of the pump to the top of the tank. YOu can see it in the picture in the #7 post.

There is a special tool that you can buy (like $70 - listed in another thread somewhere) - I just used a piece of metal flat bar.

the rest of it just snaps, pops, and pushed together.

Thanks for the info!
I went to Napa and found a tool that will work, hopefully.
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=BK_7708001_0064468137

let me know if that works - that a good price for a tool you only use once in a while...

try here - > http://tinyurl.com/yg7n3or $13

The one form Napa works good.

SNC00358 (Medium).jpg

finally got around to replacing my fuel pump. I replaced it with a new assembly.
So far so good no more check engine light - 4 the fuel sender unit-the old unit was somehow damaged by the mechanic.

Two things to add about the install - my fuel pump and the blue ring around were slightly off center and under the sheet metal of the back seat. Thus the tool would not fit in between the ring and the metal. I had to cut a substantial part of the ends off - This ended up costing me about as much time as it would to build something similar. So, save the 60 and try and make it yourself.

Second, (I have been issues were I have smelled the gas ever since the mechanic replaced parts of the old fuel pump- especially when I tanked up) the old unit had a green seal under the white cap. However it seemed to large and causing the white cap of the fuel pump to raise up on side especially at the smaller notch (there are two notches on the white cap that are supposed to fit flush with the holes on the gas tank). This was not happening so I removed the green seal. Will see if this was causing the problem or if perhaps the blue ring was never tight.

And of course there were issues with the white cap on the new fuel pump. The new fuel pumps had place holders. I was very careful not to break the caps again so I took it slow and tried some of the techniques mentioned here and after about 30 minutes I finally got it off.

it is very easy to cross-thread the blue retaining nut - and hard to get it on straight, and tight. IMHO - you really need the green seal, as it is the only thing keeping an air-tight seal from the tank to your cabin. It's a pain, and many times you have to take several attempts at it.

Members online

Back