popped of the fuel connector tabs on fuel pump

JaredLS

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
f*** I really tried to be gentle but those suckers just broke off when I tried to pull up. I still have not been able to disconnect the lines but I am wondering if anyone has any ideas how to fix this or what to do now. (sarcasm is welcome) I'm thinking of using a blow torch on them?

both :eek: the red one I only broke off one tab...however, they are still both stuck in place.

all those tabs do is gently squeeze the rim of the insert enough to allow the pipe to be pulled out. It's like the ' Chinese finger trap ' - designed to hold tighter if you pull (or push) so that the pump can't push the hose out while flowing fuel.

pop what's left of the plastic caps off and the 'gently' use small needle nose pilers to squeeze the edges of the lip of the red plastic insert, while pulling up on the hose.

both :eek: the red one I only broke off one tab...however, they are still both stuck in place.

Red tabs? Mine had white tabs. When I had one start to crack I used a small slothead screwdriver to push up from the bottom sides of the tab. Worked great and didn't break either one.

Here, this might help. Push were the red arrow is.

fordfuelfilter.jpg

Here, this might help. Push were the red arrow is.

fordfuelfilter.jpg

If you use a fuel line disconnect tool, you don't have to remove the clip on the line to connects to the filter.
Of course, this doesn't help the OP as his problem is with the fuel pump, not the filter.

If you use a fuel line disconnect tool, you don't have to remove the clip on the line to connects to the filter.
Of course, this doesn't help the OP as his problem is with the fuel pump, not the filter.

You do on the filter. Those clips take the place of the quick-release connectors. The '06 uses the quick-disconnect (I'm not sure if this is true of the '03-'05s).

You do on the filter. Those clips take the place of the quick-release connectors. The '06 uses the quick-disconnect (I'm not sure if this is true of the '03-'05s).

I have an 06 and an 04. Both are the same, and on both I have changed the filters (twice on each) by using the disconnect tool, and without touching the white plastic clip. Try it, it works.

And I should point out that both look just like the picture that Mechanicboy posted. (In terms of the filter connections. I could swear that the filters were longer and the bracket was a little different.)

still no go. I'm gonna take a break from this for a while before I :q:q:q:q something up.
I have the nose pliers and applied pressure to the red circle and tried to pull up. The connector/hose goes up a little bit (on both connectors) but then no go. Should I try and get more leverage on it or do I risk breaking something?
could the cold have anything to do with this? I am freezing my ass off.

The COLD? besides making you miserable, it also makes most plastics BRITTLE so it could be the reason your snapping clips. Sorry about giving helpful info though, I dont' know crap about taking the fuel pump out, yet...

And I should point out that both look just like the picture that Mechanicboy posted. (In terms of the filter connections. I could swear that the filters were longer and the bracket was a little different.)

That picture is from a mustang, but it's the same connector as used on at least the 1st gen LS.

still no go. I'm gonna take a break from this for a while before I :q:q:q:q something up.
I have the nose pliers and applied pressure to the red circle and tried to pull up. The connector/hose goes up a little bit (on both connectors) but then no go. Should I try and get more leverage on it or do I risk breaking something?
could the cold have anything to do with this? I am freezing my ass off.

Yea, working on cars sucks when it's cold and it does seem to make things harder(literally sometimes).

The COLD? besides making you miserable, it also makes most plastics BRITTLE so it could be the reason your snapping clips. Sorry about giving helpful info though, I dont' know crap about taking the fuel pump out, yet...

+1 Have you used a MagLight when it's cold and when it's warm and focused the light beam? It's must easier on the warm one. It's also much easier if it's properly lubed every 6 months with petroleum jelly.

Your problem is going to be finding a way to warm it up(if you choose to) without creating an ignition source that might ignite the gasoline.

well I have the new fuel pump installed. I bit the bullet and took it to the mechanic. ($220 just for labor) Interestingly he did not follow the same procedures as described here / in the ford shop manual. Not sure what he did, he was a bit secretive for some reason but he seemed to say that he was going to remove the black piece???? I do know he did replace the old black pieces and put it on the new one's.
anyway the pump works.. and my car starts up; seemingly faster. Will see how it goes.
I sure hope this was the cause of my intermittent start issues.
thx for the help Quik and others.

good you got it fixed.

you can pop out the mount for the hoses - and then deal with them from underneath - it's a little tricky but is a good last resort.

well it's been a fun week;) . My car lost all power on Sunday on the hwy and after getting two tows and waiting for about 2hrs I got my car towed to the dealer ($150). Dealer tells me that after diagnosing the car for 3hrs ($300+) they figured out that the I have no gas even though the gauge says half full. (lol they had to take apart the gas tank to be sure.)
I think they said the sender unit - or the pump may not be from FORD or damaged.
Anyways, I will be going over there with some fuel later on today -(because they have no fuel at the dealership???)So hopefully that's the problem.
Does the gas gauge have anything to do with the fuel pump? what could have been messed up? - or is the fuel pump "repair kit" that I bought from Ebay crap?
thanks guys.

well it's been a fun week;) . My car lost all power on Sunday on the hwy and after getting two tows and waiting for about 2hrs I got my car towed to the dealer ($150). Dealer tells me that after diagnosing the car for 3hrs ($300+) they figured out that the I have no gas even though the gauge says half full. (lol they had to take apart the gas tank to be sure.)
I think they said the sender unit - or the pump may not be from FORD or damaged.
Anyways, I will be going over there with some fuel later on today -(because they have no fuel at the dealership???)So hopefully that's the problem.
Does the gas gauge have anything to do with the fuel pump? what could have been messed up? - or is the fuel pump "repair kit" that I bought from Ebay crap?
thanks guys.

There are two fuel level senders, one is a part of each fuel pump assembly. Something is probably messed up on the primary assembly.

the way the pump 'snaps' into the basket at the bottom of the tank - it is possible to bend the float arm (or catch it)....

all those tabs do is gently squeeze the rim of the insert enough to allow the pipe to be pulled out. It's like the ' Chinese finger trap ' - designed to hold tighter if you pull (or push) so that the pump can't push the hose out while flowing fuel.

pop what's left of the plastic caps off and the 'gently' use small needle nose pilers to squeeze the edges of the lip of the red plastic insert, while pulling up on the hose.

Hey Quik! Man it's been a very long time. I still have my 2000 LS V6 and it still runs like a champ but my FP finally went out. Left my wife stranded at the store and it was 20 degrees. Not good.

On top of that, the white clip fell to pieces when I tried to squeeze it to pull off the line. The red one is still in tact and working fine. I need to know how to remove this 'white' line, now that the clip is broken to pieces and removed. I tried squeezing the little red rim on the bottom of the tube and pulling up but it still won't budge. I know there has to be a way to get this frickin thing off but I don't want to jack anything up.

For the life of me, I also can't seem to figure out how to remove the blue threaded fuel pump ring that is holding everything in place. I have been trying everything for hours.

Any help would be appreciated.

Members online

No members online now.
Back