Poor Performance

mistermaclincoln

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
You know I really hate to say it but my car sucks right now. It starts up just fine and after it warms up the CEL light comes on. I push on the gas and it starts coughing choking and stalling. It also spits and put out black smoke. Here are some codes that came up. 113, 117, 123, 542, 587,632. Some of these codes I can't find but I replaced the engine coolant temperature sending unit on the computer side. That seemed to make a difference in performance for a day or two. Last night when coming home from work I started the car and it started stumbleing, choking, spitting until it got warm and that seems to be the issue. Today it started right up and when it got warm it started choking smoking and idleing poorly. I need a little help here.

Thanks

I think it may be time to change spark plugs and ignition coils. I know these are different vehicles but my 2004 Mazda rx8 did the same thing wen I started it up it would be smoking from exhaust and a grumbling popping sound would happen. It would idle weirdly also but after I changed the spark plugs it ran smooth ever since.

MAINTAINANCE....MAINTAINANCE.....MAINTAINANCE....

Oh yeah....

Do your maintenance

You are both correct. This is what I have done before I started having these problems. new coils, spark plugs, new fuel filter, cleaned the mass air meter with mass air cleaner. Spark plug wires are about a year old. I went thru and check all vaccum lines for leaks. I am about to get a used mass air meter because this sounds like it could be bad even though it tested ok. The car is dumping black sut and I am afraid it might next spit fuel telling me that the ECU is going. Your thoughts.

MAINTAINANCE....MAINTAINANCE.....MAINTAINANCE....

Oh yeah....

Do your maintenance

+1. You gotta maintain your car or its gonna take sh*t on you lol. Maybe plugs, wires, clean the MAF, just a few things i thought of right quick

what happened to your mark8 with with yellow tires

Came to the conclusion that the car wasn't made for making into a fast and loud car even though a lot of people do it. Don't get me wrong I love seeing modded mark's on here, but I realized the car wasn't made for it. Gave it back to my dad and tomorrow I'm picking up a black 1995 Mustang GT 5.0. I still love the mark though, and it still has the white walls w/ yellow stripes lol.

I forget to mention I replaced the O2's the same time I replace everything else. Car was running just fine up until now. None of these codes that I pulled up refer to ECU, TPS and or Idle bypass. Does this sound like it could be mass air meter? Right now it spitting black smoke I don't want it to start dumping fuel.

Black smoke is burning oil... so I'd check that, usually the culprit is burned piston rings due to lack of ...fresh oil

Are you saying that the engine is not getting enough oil? I went out and check out the black smut that is on my garage (lol) and it feels dry not wet.

these cars r a lot of fun but pin pointing a problem is almost impossible to do mine started to choke on heavy take off think its bad wire will find out. the car has 190k maybe its just tired lol.

Came to the conclusion that the car wasn't made for making into a fast and loud car even though a lot of people do it. Don't get me wrong I love seeing modded mark's on here, but I realized the car wasn't made for it.

A Mark VIII is a very capable and affordable platform. My Mark VIII has cost me about 12,000.00 total. My Cobra in 2005 cost me 30,000.00 and I spent over 6,000.00 more on it to were it was 500 rwhp. I took it to the drag strip one time and ran 12.0 but on the third run it broke an axle and had to be towed home. The Mark VIII has been to the track 5 time and has run 11.66@120 mph. each time it made 12 - 16 runs and not one problem. And I enjoy driving the Mark VIII more than the Cobra for 1/3 of the cost. You just have to start with a good car and make the right changes.

Oh I somehow missed the soot, what year is this Mark? If it's heavy amounts..I would look hard at the coils

Obviously the rest of the detonating system would have to be in good order

I will pull the plug tomorrow and thanks for the spark plug chart information. I have another ECU but I really don't want to put it in until I figure this out. I really think it could be the mass air meter and a good place to start. I installed a new 255 fuel pump in 2011 and I am going to check the fuel pressure.

Sounds like the car is running to rich. After you changed the ECT sensor you said it corected it for a few days. Check the pig tail to the ECT. I have seen the wires break to the ECT with makes the PCM think its -40 out side. Check the wires to the ECT. If you have a scan tool check your MAP sensor and oxygen sensor's . those are the main sensors along with the MAF sensor that affect fuel. Hope some of this helps. Good luck.

...have the double checked your firing order to make sure the wires are going to the proper cylinder?

Members online

No members online now.
Back