Poll: Someone is coming to look at the '96 D.A. What do you think will happen?

What will happen?

• He will pay my asking price of $750

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He will buy it for $600 - $749

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • He will offer less than $600 and I will take it

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • He will offer less than $600 and I will not sell it to him

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He will either not show up or decide not to buy it at any price

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sprocket

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Someone is coming too look at the DA with the blown head gasket and will be here in an hour or so. What do you think will happen? He's driving 45+ miles to see it and bringing his son.

Well, I sold it. I got my asking price. Honestly, I think being a DA it is worth what I was asking. I've driven the car quite a bit and I know all of its good points. In several areas it is actually better than my other car. I know some of its history and with the exception of the last owner I think it was quite well taken care of. The last owner was the cause of the blown head gasket.

My neighbor across the street was considering buying it as long as I helped him swap the motor.

Actually I was also pretty firm on the $750 because, if I am keeping my other one, I am basically watching my '96 spare parts drive off down the road.

I managed to keep that car on the road for 8 months and drove it quite a bit. For awhile I was driving it to work every day. The breach in the head gasket is starting to get a little worse, I think. They took the car tonight and I'm really hoping they have no issues with overheating on the way home. I think it is about 50 miles of highway driving. If it starts out cool, the temp stays pretty steady on the highway, but then I haven't driven it much more than 25 miles straight lately.

It sounds like he might be installing a '97 engine in it. That would be cool. It sounded like he understood his options for making the '97 work.

It sounds like he might be installing a '97 engine in it. That would be cool. It sounded like he understood his options for making the '97 work.
for a 96, can any gen 1 engine be swapped? what are the mods for putting a gen 2 motor in a 96?

I believe they are the same from below the valve covers down, so you could swap the valve covers and the intake. I think the other option is to use the '97 as is and swap the engine computer. Then either the K-frame has to be lowered by using spacers or use a shaker hood.

There's probably more to it than that....

If you're 50 miles away and you're buying a car with a known bad head gasket..why in the hell would you DRIVE it home? Pretty ballsy on his end..you'd think that if you're the type of guy who buys cars with problems with the intent to swap engines that you'd at least have access to a trailer.

Yeah, I was pretty nervous for him. I did drive it back and forth to work today without a problem, but that's 25 miles, not 50. And I know just how fast a temp gauge can climb with a blown head gasket. One minute everything is fine and the next the gauge is off the top and the coolant is boiling over and you'd better find a place to stop NOW.

If you're 50 miles away and you're buying a car with a known bad head gasket..why in the hell would you DRIVE it home? Pretty ballsy on his end..you'd think that if you're the type of guy who buys cars with problems with the intent to swap engines that you'd at least have access to a trailer.
I'd drive it home what's the worst that's going to happen it brakes down and you have to tow it.
You take the chance and could save a $100 tow.

Now that we might be having a new Mark VIII family member, I had to go back and look at my old posts to make sure I didn't say anything I might regret if he reads it. I knows he's been doing his research online. I think I'm pretty safe though. I was as straight with him as I could be. I didn't hide anything.

This thread maybe I regret starting. I don't think I'd want to read a poll guessing how much I would pay for a car. It does expire today. Does that mean it goes away? I don't think I can delete it. I would if I could.

I'd drive it home what's the worts that's going to happen it brakes down and you have to tow it.
You take the chance and could save a $100 tow.

Well yeah that's what I'm getting at..paying $100 for a tow on a $750 car. Obviously the engine is gonna be pulled but you never know where it'll overheat and you'll have to pull over. I just don't know why someone who buys a "project car" doesn't have a car trailer.

Trailers and trucks are expensive
I don't have a trailer or truck
Sometimes you just make things work

Most of us Mark VIII guys are lucky if we have a garage let alone a trailer. Except for maybe the one we live in.

Lol well maybe I'm just overly cautious then but I wouldn't drive a car i just bought that i know nothing about with a blown head gasket 50 miles back home. Trucks are not expensive, never said it had to be brand new..I just bought a $4k 93 gmc that I could flat tow a car with if i wanted to..no different than owning multiple mark viiis like many people here do..except mine has a bed, a hitch and can haul sh*t if necesaary.

This is how slowmkviii and I haul cars, you do what works and what's safe.

20130202_092955.jpg

20130202_092955.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back