Plug & plus wire choice

k9t8m

Rollin' Twankies
Reaction score
Im looking to buy new plugs and wires this week and wanted some advice. I havd MSD's on my 95 and have absoutely no complaints, but I have heard that the Ford racing wires are better. Whats the concensus here? They are about the same price, but which is better?

Im also looking at replacing the plugs while im at it. I have autolike double platunum's in my 95 and have had no problems but they were $7 a piece. I run NGK Iridiums in in bike and love them. I would rather go with Iridium or plutnum plugs because I dont want to replace them once a year. I know some of you guys preech about running coppers, but I dont mind spending the extra money, I just want it done right.

Whats the recommendation here?

Please let me know becuase I have to order them either tonight or tomorrow in order to get them on the car for the car show Ive entered this Saturday.

Thanks!!

I like the Ford Racing or Livewires. Either NGK TR55 or Autolite 764.

My 9mm Ford racing wires are about 4 years old, and I've never had any problems with them. I've changed my (copper) plugs twice with these wires so far but, they looked clean both times.

If you run a precious metal plug, choose the smallest center conductor diameter and check the preset gap. You are much better off NOT trying to reset the gap.

My current flavor of wires is Performance Distributors LiveWires.

Budget, great quality-MSD, my favorite wires-Nology. Plugs-Autolite 764's. Thats what I have had my best luck with.

Last edited:
sounds like you got took on those autolite double plats..they normally run around $4 a plug...I run the new Autolite XP's (eXtreme Performance) iridiums..most places sell them for $10 a plug..got mine from rockauto.com for $4.82 a piece..very happy with them

I guess thats what i get for getting them from a nation chain instead of off the internet. I just got done ordering another set of MSD's and wire seperators from jegs, and autolite 764's from rock auto. Thanks for the advice goes. Ill let you know how it runs when i get them all put in.

No matter what plug you get, PLEASE dont get multi-tip plugs. Like those Bosch "look at this waste of money" 4-tip "marketing at its best" plugs.... :)

I used wires from Summit that look like Ford Racing.I think they measure around 8mm and i checked them with an ohm meter and they were approx. 350-500/foot.I had a set of Ford motorsports 8mm for my old 302 that were the same.My 140000mile stock one where over 10000ohms/foot.Im suprised i didnt burn the coils up.----o ya ----the wires were $69

I just measured the resistance in mine last week in a lab for school. I have the MSD 8.5mm wires for the 96-98 Cobra. IIRC, the shortest wire was around 100 ohms, and the longest was about 180 or so. I don't have the lab sheet with me, but I'm pretty sure that's about right.

Honestly, they get electricity from the coil to the plug, it's not particularly important what brand you have.

I've had 9mm Ford Racing wires and the Motorcraft Lightning Plugs... Overall really liked them... got them from Max

in a naturally aspirated engine, stock wires can be fine but when you introduce more pressures(like supercharging or more compression etc) than your coil has a hard time working.an aftermarket coil is good but so is wires.and better resistance wires are better for your longevity of your coil.really bad old wires have a lot of resistance and you can feel the difference when you change them.

Members online

No members online now.
Back