Please Take a Look, Especially Chicago Area People.Thinking of buying this car.

KC96LSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone from the Chicago area, are any of you familiar with this car? I'm seriously thinking of flying up there this weekend to buy this car. If anyone knows any info about this car, please pass it on to me. He states that it has 51,000 original miles, He has put on Magnaflows and a trac-lok with 3.73 gears. Talking with him he seams like a pretty good guy but just wanted to run it by you guys on here.

Here;s the link: http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/5175772692.html

I hate CL pics (low res). Did the seller email you some better ones? Sure looks nice. Has standard rear window seal issue but seems clean the paint looks nice.

Nice car but the price seems a little high. If you're willing to fly, there's a lot of low mile Marks down here in Florida. What will you do with your beautiful 96?

I've only had phone conversations so far, I asked him for more pictures and just waiting to get them. Yes the paint looks good, he said it was his grandfathers car and he got it a couple years ago, if I remember correctly. It's always been garaged and doesn't see any snow.

While I'm thinking of it, if anyone knows of a quality low mileage Mark VIII out there please show me they way to it. I wont get into it here but the opportunity has come up for me to find a new/used Mark VIII. I don't want to rush this but if this car is all it seems to be, I think it might be worth the price.

That's something that I'm not to sure about, for now it will go into the garage for the winter.

ive seen it in person and met the guy before..its a nice car. no rust anywhere i saw including the undercarriage. interior looked very nice..only flaw i saw on the car was the paint on the roof had a small area in the center where the clear has started to fade. the rest of the car i believe he said has been repainted and is of good quality. he told me it has a chip tune, but no jmod with 3:73s, car also has a 2.5" true dual exhaust with flowmasters and underdrive pulleys. for what hes asking id say its a pretty good deal.

If I was going to Chicago anytime soon I would be able to check them out. But it will be a month, at the soonest, that I will be down that way.

Thanks Kevin, i guess my question would be why the repaint with only 51,000 on it. Am I the only one that thinks that's odd? Also if its been repainted, why is the top already fading? Should this not through up a red flag or am I being to picky?

I believe the car had some clear coat fading issues which was pretty common with the older black paints..didnt seem to hold up very long. I have a friend with a super nice black on black 94 with low miles that has trashed clearcoat on the bumpers. But anyway the guy with the 93 said most of the car was repainted except for the roof, my guess is the paint on roof was still in good enough shape to not paint it..not sure..but the spot is small and i think he kinda touched it up but its still noticable. If your questioning possible rust issues, there arent any, its a very solid car, i couldnt find any surface rust on the suspesion or IRS cradle or anything..and those are the areas that show it first.

Thanks again Kevin for chiming back in, now that you mention it I am aware of the clear coat issues your talking about. You see it all over in the adds. It's just the impression I got from him is this was a garaged car in the winters, does clear coat go bad from just being exposed to the air? Kevin do the miles seem to fit the ware on the interior? From the pictures I've seen so far the driver seat looks OK, it's just with this low of mileage, it should look practically new. It does reassure me when you say the IRS cradle looks good. By the way, your Mark VIII looks incredible, that is hands down the prettiest green I've seen on any Mark.

thanks man, thats an old sig pic too lol...but yeah the leather was nice when i looked at it, it was pretty soft and not all dried out so it must have been cared for. i took some pics of it the day i saw it at a car show but they were on my old phone..ill post them on here when i get home though. after 22 years of on and off sun the clear is bound to go bad, the rear window seal had some ripples also so its seen some sun over the years im sure, but no rust which is what counts in my book.

That would be awesome if you posted your pictures of the car. The guy that owns the car, he and his girlfriend found out the sex of their child today. So he said he wasn't available today and I still haven't seen any pics except the ones in the add.

Thought the pics were a little better quality but oh well ill post them anyway.

20150627_204424_zpsklc983ou.jpg

20150627_202356_zpsbwmiszwk.jpg

20150627_204408_zpsgqkfnr0n.jpg

20150627_204448_zpsefu3euob.jpg

20150627_204352_zps4mc8fvnp.jpg

20150627_204435_zpszjqvp1sk.jpg

20150627_204503_zpsxaupskqd.jpg

With only 51,000 I'm a bit disappointed that it looks like that under the hood am i being to critical?

Well this story has come to an end. The guy selling this car made excuse after excuse from the minute I told him I would give him his asking price. Now all of a sudden they are taking a trip over the weekend. I should have known something was a miss when the first time he told me the previous owner was a doctor, who had died and he got it from his wife. When I called back about a week later, it was his grandfathers car and that is how he got it.

Anyway, I would tell anyone interested in this car to beware. What really put me on guard was the way that engine compartment looked for a car with only 51,000 miles. I was giving it the benefit of the doubt but now something else has come up and still no pictures. I'm not saying he lied or anything like that, maybe his grandpa was the Dr. or maybe he doesn't want to really sell the car, I don't know.

I was wondering why getting pictures of the car was more difficult than it should have been. I have already found another low mileage Mark, so hopefully I'll be posting pictures of it by the end of next week. Thanks to all of you who posted in here, it is appreciated.

Greg

Members online

No members online now.
Back