Please help me identify this vac leak *have you heard this before*?

Myco

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I've replaced the upper/lower intake manifold gaskets, Throttle body gasket, and IAC + gasket.
Also replaced the tube going from the upper intake manifold to where they dryer is (whatever that's called)
Also replaced both tubes that form a T on top of the intake manifold.

I replaced the intake manifold gaskets because of this vac leak. It sounds like it's in the same place as it was before I did the gaskets.

Using a long tube I listened around the engine and it sounds like it was coming from around the throttle body. That's why I changed that gasket. Has anyone heard this vac sound before? It's quite loud.
EGR? Sensor on the throttle body?

-- besides axing my fuel mileage the car stumbles at idle and dies sometimes.

th_20130422_110523_zps961a2b4d.jpg

What about the rubber gasket on the intake tube? I treat mine with rubber conditioner because I know that part is long since discontinued. Hope you figure it out!!

Mine did the same deal , turned out to be a brass hex plug that screws in the upper intake on the underside just infront of where the throttle body bolts on .
Found the plug with oring on it laying on the pasenger head on the valve cover .
Could be the oring too.
Hope this helps.

Remove the throttle body and look for a missing plug.

Mine did the same deal , turned out to be a brass hex plug that screws in the upper intake on the underside just infront of where the throttle body bolts on .
Found the plug with oring on it laying on the pasenger head on the valve cover .
Could be the oring too.
Hope this helps.

Here's the funny in this whole situation. When I removed the intake manifold I saw what I think was that bolt. I didn't have my magnet tool to grab it and I wanted it out of there so when I took the intake off it didn't drop into one of the cylinders. In my efforts to grab it .. it fell into the little valley between the head and the IMRC plates so I thought... well.. it isn't going to do any harm there and went ahead with the gasket replacement.

Now, after seeing these posts I'm kicking myself. I've tried to grab it with a magnet but I can't even see it any more. It's way down in that little valley... I called ford and the part is discontinued and there are none in America at any ford dealership.

I guess I'll take the throttle body to home depot and try to match a bolt up to the whole.

THIS IS AWESOME! rofl

ps: I haven't taken the throttle body back off to confirm this is the issue but I felt under there with my finger and felt the depression where the bolt should go.

What about the rubber gasket on the intake tube? I treat mine with rubber conditioner because I know that part is long since discontinued. Hope you figure it out!!

Ohh.. and I changed that also. ;-) Actually used a whole new tube/MAF.

There's a guy in Palmdale, CA, who is selling pulled MK8 parts and I got my intake manifold from him and it included the throttle body and sensors. Lemmee go find the link... here is his link. Maybe he'd just sell ya a throttle body.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/monaisweird/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Buying an entire throttle body for a bolt is a bit extreme. I think a rubber gasket and shaved bolt from home depot will do the trick ( I hope ).

I'll try pulling the upper intake manifold and see if I can get a magnet down there and get it also.

Buying an entire throttle body for a bolt is a bit extreme. I think a rubber gasket and shaved bolt from home depot will do the trick ( I hope ).

I'll try pulling the upper intake manifold and see if I can get a magnet down there and get it also.

I paid $90 for the entire intake manifold, throttle body and sensors. He'd probably take $20 for the TB. Please let me know if you find a work around at Home Depot. The powder coaters lost mine for a second and I could find nothing. It's a bit tricky to get it set correctly as well without a reference. I just winged it a couple of times.

I paid $90 for the entire intake manifold, throttle body and sensors. He'd probably take $20 for the TB. Please let me know if you find a work around at Home Depot. The powder coaters lost mine for a second and I could find nothing. It's a bit tricky to get it set correctly as well without a reference. I just winged it a couple of times.

What do you mean by "get it set correctly"?

Well, my original was not seated completely into the hole. I spoke with some who believe that the 'permanent' factory setting is not completely screwed into the hole. Others have said that they just screwed it all the way in and loctited it. My idle was too high with my first attempt, so I took everything off and tightened the screw some more. The computer was then able to make adjustments.

10.00 shipped for the plugs. I just checked and it wasn't tight. I have at least three of them in case other want then too. Pm sent for paypal details.

The ebay/ paypal account is my daughter ... mona is weird, nick name since a baby lol.

Yep, that bolt was missing. Thanks for the service racebronkco2 very quick. Torqued it down a bit but no locktight at the moment. Once I get some I'll put it in there for good.

20130426_142252_zpsd2cba723.jpg

20130426_143732_zps41778bf8.jpg

It says not to adjust. I just screwed it all the way in. How is it supposed to be put in there? Does this have something to do with the idle?

Members online

Back