Please give me tips about different years of town cars

babyhauler

LVC Member
Reaction score
OK in my last thread LVC helped me decide I want a town car, as opposed to a crown vic or a mercury grand prix. I want a town car for the maximum space for rear seat passengers, ultra-smooth ride, quietness.

Other reasons I like town cars is because I can work on them myself (used to have an '88 Cartier), and because they depreciate really fast so I can buy a lot of steel and ride with my limited cash. Limited cash is theme, remember i'm hauling babies around- at this time cash is for babies not so much for cars.

Another reason I like town cars is because you can do crazy stuff with them. For example I mounted a hitch on my old '88 and hooked a little trailer on there and used it a lot. It was really handy, and eliminated my need for a pickup truck. Once I saw a town car pulling a small horse trailer that was kind of funny.

I want this town car so I can drive my family around town comfortably and also so I can take them on long road trips in it. So I need decent highway mileage. I think my old '88 got 18 MPG on the highway I think i need better than that- what is the best highway mileage i can expect?

Air safety bags are neato but not necessary. I caused a small accident in my '88 town car and I barely felt the impact. So I would get another town car without air bags.

Please help me figure out what year would be best. It has to be under $10,000. I'll probably spend between $5000 and $10000. And i need a town car that doesn't need too much work. I can do some stuff myself, but if I have to rebuild engine AND tranny AND suspension AND treat the frame AND swap the interior AND rewire every switch it just isn't worth it. That's why I'm staying away from 1960's and 1970's town cars at this time. I need a car that is ready to go and safe to drive today.

So I'm thinking a 1990's town car with 4.6 liter under 75k miles is my best bet. But should I be looking at a different year? Any other tips?

I think my old '88 got 18 MPG on the highway I think i need better than that- what is the best highway mileage i can expect?
So I'm thinking a 1990's town car with 4.6 liter under 75k miles is my best bet. But should I be looking at a different year? Any other tips?

Regardless, your Town Car mileage will not be great but it will not break the bank. I would expect around 20 mpg mixed driving, 23+ highway. Actually pretty good for a true full sized car.

As far as year models go, the lower end for me would be the '96-'97 model, skipping the '98-'02 model and the top end would be the '03-'06 model.

I like the '96-'97 models. I almost bought one before we got an '03 Town Car. Given enough time and willing to travel some, you should be able to find a very good '96-'97 with reasonably low mileage for the least amount of money.

I'm not sure exactly the year to year changes but the '03 had the better intake, slightly more HP and better suspension than earlier models. After '06 they started to downgrade in my opinion and it would also be tougher to find a low mileage one in your price range. For example, our '06 Designer with 80K miles has depreciated to just around the $10K mark private party value.

Good luck finding a "L" (long wheelbase) under 75K miles in your price range. If you do find one that hasn't been a money pit, buy it!

town car

I personally like the 80 to 97 models the best.

The most unique ones are the 80-82 town coupe which is big and impressive or a mark vi. sedan.

I really like the 5.0 engine for reliability. The multi port injected ones I think 85 to 90 can be converted to high output using parts from mark vii or explored. The early CFI is reliable but you can't do much to modify it.

In my opinion the early models through 84 look better and definitely have better bumpers. If you get and 85 to 89 I would swap bumpers from an early car.

The 90 is a beautiful car and has the 5.0 but with 90s body.

Trouble spots. Throttle body gromet for aod can fail. 4 $ part will take out transmission. Air ride can fail. I have coils and my mark vi. Rides great. Vinal tops are not as durable as those on gm cars. Early 4.6 motors have valve stem seal issues and chain guide issues. and 98 to 03? With plastic intake have issues.

Personally I prefer a 5.0 due to simplicity but 4.6 is a good engine too overall.

Not to crazy about the 98 up body style and prefer the non sealed front hubs and gearbox steering of the pre o3 models.

My personal preference is 80 to 83 mark vil for added luxury and bluing including flip up lights n shark gills and opera window n hump.

Second is rare town coupe.

Third is 90.

Forth 80-84 town car

Fifth 85 to 89.

Sixth 91-97

7 would be last generation.

These cars all benefit from dual exhausts.

If I had the right parts I want an 80 town coupe with a mark vi. Front clip fenders and flip up lights and continental trunk lid with 351 w with 4 barrel and dual exhausts added.

If you don't aggree with me you can't go wrong with any one of them though..

I'm going to clarify a few things..

96-02 have a plastic coolant crossover intake manifold and you should plan on replacing the intake manifold around 100k miles

'01 and up have the "PI" performance improved heads and intake. About 25 more horsepower then the '00 motor

The Town Car hierarchy goes executive, signature and cartier at least till '03. You should try for a signature at least.

I would go for a '95 and up model.

Your under 75k miles rule of thumb is good. Go for the lowest miles you can find, that way you get a car with a lot of life left and less initial repairs and servicing.

The box town cars 80-89 are cool classics but need a lot of old school wrenching to keep them up.

03 and up has a different frame and suspension and as more road feel then earlier models. Some like that some don't. It doesn't have as much of that 'big' car feel

Pay attention to the owner of the car your looking at as much as the car... generally original owners, wealthier people take better car of their cars etc. Service records? etc...

the late 80's had bigger back seats and a nice ride, but, they are getting a little long on the tooth. The 95-97 had OBD-II, smooth ride with air springs and EPA hwy 24mpg. 95-97 can be had for 3-4K that are real nice.

I bought my 03 Signature over two years ago. It was from Florida, elderly owned, and had 98k on it.
I paid $7200.
It's loaded. The only options it didn't come with were HIDs (I took care of that, factory ones, BTW) and navigation.

I also bought it for baby moving. Great times. Since I've owned it, it's only needed a oil filter adapter gasket, and upper ball joints.
I did the ball joints last week.
I added Steeda under drive pullies to help with the fuel economy as well. (And I can't really leave anything alone, anyways.)
Look around. You will find a great deal.

-ryan s.

(P.S.- with just the under drive pullies, my Town Car dynoed at 215 hp, 250 tq :)

Members online

Back