Planning on painting my mark Q?

96mark8

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
i am brand new to painting car's so bare with me plz. i just want to make sure i do this right. so a couple months ago i was all ready to paint my car i spent a week filling in holes sanding, prepping etc... but right when i was ready to paint my air compressor took a crap on me:( i did not have the money to buy a new compressor and my car was all ready sanded down. i know it would be awhile before i get a new compressor so i decided to prime it all with some spay cans as a temp fix.

So here is my plan tell me what you guys think. first i want to try to sand as much or the old primer off as i can. Then i want to hit the car with a coat of the new primer (first link), sand that with 200grit and then hit it with another layer of primer.This is wear i am not sure should i just sand the second coat with 200grit or should i wet sand it? after that should i just hit it with 3 layers of my base coat(second link) and what grit should i use in between coats? after those 3 coats do i just wet sand, buff and i am done? this is a single stage paint so it does not need a clear coat right?

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-2k-urethane-primer-gray-gallon-4-1.html

http://www.eastwood.com/paints/automotive-refinishing/ew-royal-blue-and-activator-kit.html
and will one of these be enough to paint the whole car?

I would sand with no less than 800 grit wet between coats. I have never painted a car professionally but i have used rattle can stuff with good results. I say prime, sand with 800, base x2 with 800 then 1200, and clear x3 with 1500 in between, buff, and wax.

Here is my rattle can stuff:
BEFORE
IMG_2654-1.jpg

AFTER
car004-1.jpg

Be advised, rattle can only hold up to desert sun/heat for about 5 months!

After that it looks like ass

Primer requires 150 grit. Sand down old primer with 150, spray about three coats in your new primer. Give 10 minutes in between spraying of each coat. Dont sand in between coats, once you have sprayed all your coats of primer, let dry. Take a can of spray paint in a contrasting color to primer, and mist it over the primer, just to get specs of paint over the primer. Start sanding, I dont remember what grits to use exactly but I'd start with somewhere inbetween 250-350 grit. The spray paint helps you see low spots when you sand the primer. Sand until smooth. If you go through primer, hit with 150 real quick and spray three more coats, and sand again. Do like a 300 grit, re-spray the misted spray paint once that grit is smooth, go to like 400, to get down to finer scratches. Keep doing this repeating until it is sanded in 600 grit. Since you're spraying a single stage paint, I'd spray probably 5 coats of that, once again 10 minutes to let paint sit and cure in between coats. No sanding. Once you have all your coats, let the paint sit for a few days to harden, assuming you cant bake the paint. Then color sand and buff. For colorsanding use 1000, 1200, 1500, and 3000 grit.

Best mask to use, would be a fresh air system (covers your face and blows fresh air in from compressor to constantly have air flowing out to not allow air in. If you dont have access to that, use a charcoal canister respirator and goggles.

Oh yea, I prefer to wetsand but either way works.

Pick up some tack rags, and wipe down before spraying each time.

yea thats one more thing i forgot to ask what kind or mask do i need and is that all i need? will this mask work?

http://www.eastwood.com/paint-equipment/respirators/sas-bandit-respirator-large.html

I'd get the 3M charcoal one... mainly because Menard, Lowes, Home Depot, and nearly ever other store carries the cartridges which you need to replace EVERY TIME YOU PAINT...

Things about ISO's... they will kill you, they can leach through your skin, eyes, respiratory tract... those are in order of hardest to easiest entry into your body. That is why a proper respirator is paramount, goggles are good and a full suit is a very good idea...

Some people can take a TON of exposure and feel fine... some can almost die from one exposure... don't try and find out the wrong way.

I'm waiting for Jamie to come in and say they aren't that dangerous lol...

i've been breathing em in for ten years now and i'm still kicking lol...seriously though make sure you take safety precations both with yourself and neighbors if you live in town. Set up a filter on your exhaust fan so your neighbors don't die either. I'm a prof body man if you want help send me a pm and i'll set you up with some tech info and anything else you need.

alright thanks guys after what KK told me i started to look into urethane paint lol. and i will be doing this in a small two car garage attached to are house so maybe it is not the best idea lol. is instead i was looking at this paint in the link below i know it is probably not as good but it is a premixed lacquer so it is safer right? and i might just have to take you up on the PM lsc8 lol

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SHW-BSP204/

Dude it's not that you can't semi safely do this in your garage it's just that you NEED to take the proper precautions... also like I said, some people can take a ton of exposure and be fine...

Members online

Back