Pioneer installed but no sound

miatatomark

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I know there's an audio forum, but I'm also aware a few people here have installed the same/similar stereo (X710BT). Powers up and all functions work. No sound until I pull the RCA plugs halfway apart, then they work fine.

Don't really want to run new wires. I want to be able to put the original head unit back in if needed. Do I have a ground missing somewhere? Using the correct premium harness, did the bypass. I know it's something simple like me.

Found out I'm a terrible solderer, too

Soooo.
I ran ground wires to frame. No change.
Disconnected the positive wire at the RCA plugs to the speakers. Got sound! But also got much distortion (bass x40), and have a hum even if the volume is at zero. Also no sound from CD player, even the hum goes away when I select CD, but no music. Maybe it doesn't like Lyle Lovett, but I picked that up at random from my CD box.
Next I'm going to forgo that harness from the back of the pioneer and try the speaker wires from the other harness (no RCA plugs) and see if that is any better.

Getting frustrated with what should be an easy install (I thought)

May try disconnecting the amp wire first?

on the issue of no sound on cd you hooked up the wrong wire for amp turn on. you used the blue wire not the blue white to turn on the amp, the only bad thing is that the power ant will stay up as long as the stereo is on. as to sound issues you should not use the harness with rca's and use the spk wire harness

on the issue of no sound on cd you hooked up the wrong wire for amp turn on. you used the blue wire not the blue white to turn on the amp, the only bad thing is that the power ant will stay up as long as the stereo is on. as to sound issues you should not use the harness with rca's and use the spk wire harness

The 98 doesn't have a power antenna. It's in the window.

Edit: I think you're right! I was following instructions from another sight, and it hadit backwards. I'm going to switch those two wires and see if it makes a difference. Thnks for the headsup.

Last edited:
That was the fix. Even my backup camera started woriking! Thanks CCWall. Now I can actually finish running wires for the camera, GPS, and Microphone. You fixed the hard part. Who says you can't fix stupid?

So are we gonna get pics or what?:D

Although it's in and working fine, the cosmetics aren't good enough yet to warrant picture bragging. I'm going to pull it back out and dremel the Metra mount kit so it's a bit more flush.

The reason I'm waiting to do that is because I just ordered a cradle for my iphone that I'm going to try and mount in the space where the ashtray is so I'll be pulling the surround and center console when I do that. I actually bought two of the bases ($5 apiece) so I could cut one up to fit it in there, then run the cable under the center console. The extra one is a backup in case I don't dismantle it correctly the first time (experience). Should be able to just pull the ashtray out and fit this thing in the slot where it sits. That way if I ever pull this system out, just putting the ashtray back in will hide whatever hole I make to route the cable.

I had to order the reverse senser wire since it wasn't included with my used unit. Although the camera works, it doesn't come on unless you select it from the hu. And I'm working on a new splash screen. Got a Lincoln logo on it but it's too small. Looking for a free photoshop type program to fix that. Seen some nice examples on this site. If anyone has a good jpg image they've used on their Pioneer, please email it to me at rwteete@cfl.rr.com

I'll post pictures if I ever finish

Bob.

edit: figured out how to edit pics on photobucket. Should work for logo.

Members online

No members online now.
Back