Pioneer Appradio 3 install

05LSV8GUY

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to share with you guys, my appradio 3 install in my 05 LS
I love the radio, and would love it even more if my iPhone was jailbroken.
Parts Installed
Pioneer SPH-DA110 Appradio 3
Pioneer CD-IU201N iPhone Adapter
Metra 70-5521C 03-09 F/L/M Wire Harness
Metra AFDI-5V 12v to 5v Converter
Metra AXXESS ASWC-1 Steering wheel Control Interface
Metra 95-5000S Silver Double Din Install Kit (FYI Crutchfield only Carries the Black One)
Microbypass.com Pioneer Parking Brake Bypass

Just a few things to note about the install
The Gps Antenna Pioneer provides is not long enough to hide in the rear deck like it should be
I installed the Mic on the dome/map light overhead console, with plenty of left over wire.
Crutchfield does NOT have the silver install Kit for our vehicle.
I did not spend the time to get the steering wheel controls to work, thats for another day.
There is plenty of room behind the dash for a DIY Parking brake bypass but for me the microbypass was the better option for me.
With the provided wiring harness, you only lose the knee speakers which could be remedied
I also installed these
http://www.kudausa.com/kuda-custom-leather-mounts/lincoln/ls-00-07-k343.html
http://www.kudausa.com/iphone-4-pass-through-cradle-only-for-the-iphone-4-a1581.html

If you have any questions for me please ask
photo.jpg
photo.jpg

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

Does it let you listen to the radio and do stuff from your phone at the same time? Or is it one or the other?

Does it let you listen to the radio and do stuff from your phone at the same time? Or is it one or the other?
I havent had the time to play around with it much, right now its one or the other which is stupid.
The local radio stations here suck anyways so it doesnt hurt my one feeling to bad lol

The Gps Antenna Pioneer provides is not long enough to hide in the rear deck like it should be

dont worry about the legnth, just mount it under the dash, the easies place is under the trim closest to the windshield, there is plenty of room at either end, then you can coil up any extra wire under the dash's end panels.

So it won't play Pandora and let you surf internet at same time? Even though the phone allows multi task?

Not knocking your h/u... But after the first two app radio's pioneer did and couldn't get it right by THEN... I stayed away from the 3... But let us know how it turns out and give us a detailed review of the functions and features you like and dislike...

My big hope for the AppRadio was that I could take my phone and put it on the HU Screen with some integrated bells and whistles. The deal breakers for me was that the GPS Antenna didn't augment the phone so it still sucked down battery, it required HDMI and USB to operate, and I couldn't use the radio tuner and my phone at the same time.

If it would have worked through bluetooth and let me listen to the radio while having my phone up on the screen I would have gotten it. Really curious to see if AppRadio3 addresses any of this.

I really just want my phone with a radio tuner in the dash. If I can do that i'd be happy.

Not knocking your h/u... But after the first two app radio's pioneer did and couldn't get it right by THEN... I stayed away from the 3... But let us know how it turns out and give us a detailed review of the functions and features you like and dislike...
Oh i did a ton of research before considering the appradio, if it wasn't for appradios full screen size, i would have went with the 2500BT that pioneer offers.
I was really sold on the appradio, after watching Pioneerguy's youtube Video. I was pissed when i went to jailbreak my phone right after, and found i couldnt JB it till they do a JB for iOS 7.

Overall its a cool concept, with poor pioneer execution, but i am sure that not every downfall of the radio is pioneers fault, I am sure apple has something to do with it, considering how gaurded they are about only letting you do what they want you to do with your phone.

My intention going into this radio was to have a JB iPhone and use the radio how it should be. But i had upgraded to 6.1.3 on my 4S before i found out about appradio.

First, Apps that are offered for the AR thru itunes Via Pioneer/Third Parties are so-so.
Beware of Micro transactions for unlocking the usefulness of Apps, such as EC Touch, MotionX GPS. I would prefer a free lite version to see if i even like the app, instead of the current cost then add ons adding additional cost. Having done some research on AVIC411.com, i found out that the $24.99 external display upgrade for the MotionX GPS app is essentially worthless, because it still requires using the phone rather than the radio.
I do like the Carbrowser app, it claims it helps reduce the amount of data used for webpages. and so far it seems to be a very easy to use app.
My choice for best looking and functioning app is iHeartradio for Auto, smooth control, easy to navigate the app, and big buttons.

Second, The FM tuner scan/seek buttons can be small and hard use at times but the overall UI of the tuner etc, is great. (side note my ida-x200 alpine in my f150 is a pain in the butt to pre program stations into, and i am glad to have simple buttons to push.)

Third, I have had the app(appradio main app) not properly start up, but it is always remedied by double clicking the iphones home button and shutting the app down that way, and letting it restart.

Fourth, I saw this issue addressed by a few AVIC411.com forum users, that they are unhappy the Radio still requires BT to use the phone functions, while having it plugged into the 30pin adapter. Me personally i like it, because if i am not gonna use the appmode, just the calling/stream functions and just want to throw the phone on the passenger seat and go i can.

The deal breakers for me was that the GPS Antenna didn't augment the phone so it still sucked down battery,
Everything i have read pioneer states that all the GPS Antenna is for is to insure the phone has a GPS signal since some car windows dont allow GPS signal thru them, and to help aid in more accurate positioning.

it required HDMI and USB to operate
Where the misunderstanding comes into play is that the iphone/iPod specific cable uses a "HDMI Type Cable", the spec they use is HDMI spec, but there is also a traditional HDMI port as well as the "HDMI Type" port specifically for the iPhone

I have heard some rumors about a work around for radio/phone issue, but i cant remember where i read or found that Info.

I would like to know if your stereo stays on after you turn off the car and take the keys out like the stock radio. If so can you help out because I have a pioneer avic 930bt and who ever installed it didn't have that done.

the RAP function (Retained Accessory Power) is a feature done internally by the OEM radio, the ACC wire in the car (the wire that tells the radio when to turn on) strictly works by the key. the OEM radio reads when to stay on an shut off from the data bus. no aftermarket radio will be able to read anything off of the cars data bus.

the RAP function (Retained Accessory Power) is a feature done internally by the OEM radio, the ACC wire in the car (the wire that tells the radio when to turn on) strictly works by the key. the OEM radio reads when to stay on an shut off from the data bus. no aftermarket radio will be able to read anything off of the cars data bus.

However, you can run a wire from the RAP wire from the REM or at the Driver's Door Module. I did this with the AVIC that I put in my 04 and it works just fine.

How could that be right, my brother has the same stereo and his stays on....

Did he have factory THX nav before he changed to aftermarket? THX nav is the exception to 1LoudLS's comment above. It does have a physical RAP wire running to it instead of the switched accessory wire.

Otherwise, he must have run a wire to the door or back to the trunk to pick up the RAP signal.

However, you can run a wire from the RAP wire from the REM or at the Driver's Door Module. I did this with the AVIC that I put in my 04 and it works just fine.

This.

i started searching for which wires to get this from and got side tracked and forgot to add, thanks!

I just wanted to share with you guys, my appradio 3 install in my 05 LS
I love the radio, and would love it even more if my iPhone was jailbroken.
Parts Installed
Pioneer SPH-DA110 Appradio 3
Pioneer CD-IU201N iPhone Adapter
Metra 70-5521C 03-09 F/L/M Wire Harness
Metra AFDI-5V 12v to 5v Converter
Metra 95-5000S Silver Double Din Install Kit (FYI Crutchfield only Carries the Black One)

Just a few things to note about the install
I installed the Mic on the dome/map light overhead console, with plenty of left over wire.
Crutchfield does NOT have the silver install Kit for our vehicle.
I did not spend the time to get the steering wheel controls to work, thats for another day.
There is plenty of room behind the dash for a DIY Parking brake bypass but for me the microbypass was the better option for me.
With the provided wiring harness, you only lose the knee speakers which could be remedied
I also installed these
http://www.kudausa.com/kuda-custom-leather-mounts/lincoln/ls-00-07-k343.html
http://www.kudausa.com/iphone-4-pass-through-cradle-only-for-the-iphone-4-a1581.html

If you have any questions for me please ask
View attachment 828461363
View attachment 828461365

What kinda phone charger is that

I have a complete sub setup for a good price if u looking to upgrade in that department. One 15" sub with amp, built in custom box for a LS that allows plenty of trunk space. Comes with remote gain & all wires to hook everything up. $400+ shipping. Let me know

yeah, it can just be a wire out from the dash i just dont like wires hanging out, and this was a cleaner install.
You could use the pass thru with a different mount as well go to kudausa's website.

sorry to say it, but pioneers really been dropping the ball on a lot of real good ideals.

the whole APP Radio series has been a huge let down, its one of the best ideals any company has came out with lately, but their execution has fallen well of the mark.

the first and second generations were loaded with bugs, and most updates actually broke more things then they fixed.

i've kinda come to expect this from them however, the early F/X series where a total game changer but full of problems , but htye actually started to get much better each year, i had hoped they would have figured most of the problems by the third generation, but it doesn't look like it.

Even after reading all the pros and cons about this radio I went ahead and decided to install one in my '04. The install was actually done primarily by my twin sons, I was there to teach and supervise them.

I have not had a lot of time to play with it, but every thing seems to work as expected. In my case, I am pairing this with a rooted HTC Android.

My parts list is very similar to 05LSV8GUY's, I have noted the differences are in RED

Pioneer SPH-DA110 SPH-DA210 Appradio 3
Pioneer CD-IU201N iPhone Adapter Generic MHL Adapter w/Long Leads
Metra 70-5521C C? The one I used was just 10-5521 03-09 F/L/M Wire Harness
Metra AFDI-5V 12v to 5v Converter Radio Shack 7805 Regulator ($1.99)
Generic Backup Cam that I can't stand and already have another on order to replace it

Between the info posted by a few members here by members such as joegr & 1LoudLS, among others that can be found in various threads along my '04 Wiring Diagram manual, we were able to get everything working without any problems. But I have installed a number of stereos/systems in various vehicles over the years. For those thinking about it, it's not hard just read up and get your plan mapped out before you begin.

Only problem I have currently is if you press the volume two quickly (repeatedly) on the steering wheel, then it will change the station. This is an issue I did not have with the stock radio so I intend to try manually programming the Metra adapter. But I am also wondering it it may be an early indicator that my clock spring is failing.

The part of the install we have not yet done is the running of a RAP wire from the door module. Still need to ID the pin and run the wire.

Members online

Back