Pics of pullies?

warrioralumni08

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I am going to get some under drive pullies, just wanting to check out some pictures, if anyone has them? I am thinking of getting some bbk or march ones. Wouldnt I have to buy a harmonic balancer though?

On my 1995 Thunderbird:

PulleyUpgrade6.jpg

On my 1995 Mark VIII LSC:

MarchCrank1of2.jpg

What other mods do you have that would call for pullies?

I will have some, hopefully, which will include, gears, trac lok, knife edged crank, tune, exhaust. Hopefully.

Just get the crank pulley/balancer from ASP the others are not needed.

Why just the crank pulley Geno?

On my 1995 Thunderbird:

PulleyUpgrade6.jpg

On my 1995 Mark VIII LSC:

MarchCrank1of2.jpg

Ahh, thank you, very nice!

Thanks Douglas, very nice install. ^_^

Well, I was thinking of getting one of these 4 sets, opinions please! I know the Summit Racing one, nor the Trick Flow, or the first ASP one, is not piggyback, but is the second ASP, or the Granatelli piggyback? I want to stay away from them if they are. Want aluminum also, but have no problem with steel.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ASP-527328/?rtype=10

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-C2510/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRN-GM-UP9600/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ASP-527775/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-18009/

I gave you two links to March UD installs, weren't you paying attention?

Because the Mark has a heavily electrical dependent system, ask anyone with the 3 piece set up how dim their headlights are at a light. Alternator strain amongst other electrical components is bad.

Because the Mark has a heavily electrical dependent system, ask anyone with the 3 piece set up how dim their headlights are at a light. Alternator strain amongst other electrical components is bad.

The stock pulley system spins the alternator at ~1800 rpm at a 650 rpm idle which uses a 2.4" alternator pulley.

The rule of thumb is 3:1 for alternator speed vs engine rpm, so that is only slightly slower.

If you wish to restore the correct rpm with the March underdrive crank pulley, use an alternator pulley of about 1.8" which are available on ebay. March makes an overdrive alternator pulley (110) which is about 1.625" which will spin the alternator even faster than stock at idle with the underdrive crank pulley.

Here is the 1.8" on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-3G-Alternator-1-8-Overdrive-Pulley-Increases-amps-at-idle-/230751885077

The March 110 pulley can be bought at Summit or Jegs. Here it is on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/March-Alter...el-Black-650-Bore-Bolt-On-Chevy-/390419553774

My car's fine. :cool:
Both of my vehicles run fine, too! :D

Which states that it won't fit the 1996-2001 Cobra, so it probably won't work on a Mark VIII either. :shifty:

That doesn't make any sense. I have that pulley on my TBird and is the alternator THAT different between the two cars?

I would put money that it will fit just fine, but I've been wrong before! :shrug:

I'll take that bet. :cool:

The pulley on a Cobra or Mark VIII doesn't protrude that much on the side towards the alternator, it's actually recessed.

I'll take that bet. :cool:

The pulley on a Cobra or Mark VIII doesn't protrude that much on the side towards the alternator, it's actually recessed.

Ok. Oh, also, if anybody uses the March 110 pulley, I've installed those too and the bore is slightly smaller than the Ford bore (like thousandths of an inch). In order to use the 110 pulley on my Thunderbird alternator, I had to sand the inside of the bore with emery cloth to get it to slide on the alternator shaft.

And you can't really tell from the pic above, but the pulley on the alternator of the Bird is just about flush with the case, not that the belt being moved in or out 1/32 of an inch is going to make any bit of difference anyways.

If the March 110 pulley fits on your Thunderbird alternator, it also won't work on a Mark VIII...... :p

And overdriving the alternator pulley on a DOHC raises another issue, over-revving the alternator.

If the March 110 pulley fits on your Thunderbird alternator, it also won't work on a Mark VIII...... :p

And overdriving the alternator pulley on a DOHC raises another issue, over-revving the alternator.

You are just never satisfied, are you? :)

FWIW, I've done several things on vehicles that people said wouldn't work - these pullies are just another example, IMHO. I just have to admit that I have never changed the pulley on the DOHC alternator -- yet. But you will be the first to know when I do and how it worked out.

I've also never burned an alternator up by over-revving, either. Have you ever seen an alternator fly apart, bearings burn up, or any other over-revving mayhem?

But as I've always said, everyone is welcome to do whatever they want - I have and do! lol ;)

I have heard of alternators failing on Cobra's and Mark VIII's that are raced, where the suspected cause was over-revving, yes. At one time, Driller was having quite an issue with it.

i have all three three pullies changed on the 97 been done 3 years big 3 done to alt an battery second battery in back with 2 amps pulling over 3000 watts total and never had lights dim at stop light or anything else , still have same stock alt in it too

You are just never satisfied, are you? :)

FWIW, I've done several things on vehicles that people said wouldn't work - these pullies are just another example, IMHO. I just have to admit that I have never changed the pulley on the DOHC alternator -- yet. But you will be the first to know when I do and how it worked out.

I've also never burned an alternator up by over-revving, either. Have you ever seen an alternator fly apart, bearings burn up, or any other over-revving mayhem?

But as I've always said, everyone is welcome to do whatever they want - I have and do! lol ;)

And do you shift at 7,000 rpms like DLF does? My bet is no. :) Not many here do.

Go over to svtperformance you will find tons of guys killing alts on Cobras, especially the ones that run a lower pulley without the matching alternator pulley. They do not like to be over reved

-Alan

And do you shift at 7,000 rpms like DLF does? My bet is no. :) Not many here do.

After the W2Z2 EEC was installed, my Mark does rev very close to 7000, but I'm kinda scared to rev it too many times that high without upgrading to beehive valve springs and maybe some GT cam riders.

I run mine up to 7000 everyday. Did it with the stock damper and also with march underdrive damper. I will be making an overdrive alt pulley to get rpms back up abit.

I run mine up to 7000 everyday. Did it with the stock damper and also with march underdrive damper. I will be making an overdrive alt pulley to get rpms back up abit.

With the 1.93" (49mm) Powermaster 114 pulley I have installed now, it does about 1700 @ 650 rpm and 18000 @ 7000 rpm.

If you used a 1.81" (46mm) Powermaster 175 pulley, it would be 1800 @ 650 rpm and 19000 @ 7000 rpm.

A 1.625" (41.25mm) March 110 pulley would result in 2000 @ 650 rpm and 22000 @ 7000 rpm. :eek:

DLF is correct and I've been told by alternator shops you shouldn't spin an alternator in excess of 20000 rpms. :shifty:

With the 1.93" (49mm) Powermaster 114 pulley I have installed now, it does about 1700 @ 650 rpm and 18000 @ 7000 rpm.

If you used a 1.81" (46mm) Powermaster 175 pulley, it would be 1800 @ 650 rpm and 19000 @ 7000 rpm.

A 1.625" (41.25mm) March 110 pulley would result in 2000 @ 650 rpm and 22000 @ 7000 rpm. :eek:

DLF is correct and I've been told by alternator shops you shouldn't spin an alternator in excess of 20000 rpms. :shifty:

That's good to know. Thanks for the info. So the Powermaster 114 is the one to run if your high-revving the engine?

DLF, what exact pulleys are you running if you would be so kind. :)

Members online

Back