Philips HIR2 9012 Standard Halogen Headlight Bulb

I don't notice any glare. I have not had any one flash their lights at me either, and I have been on two lane roads out of town with no one flashing their lights with streams of on coming traffic for miles coming back into town on Sunday night.

Awesome! I remember looking into the 9012 bulbs awhile back, but did not mess with them since Toshiba had discontinued them. From what I am reading, Philips "improved" on them even more, removing the actual HIR aspect of the bulb and they are still in full production...I will have to keep these in mind. Thanks for working on this. :cool:

I hope someone else tries them and reports back. I am trying to not play them up too much or exaggerate.

I did raise the height of them with the adjusters, but I did cut them open to do the clear corner mod... so maybe that changed where they were pointed somewhat, or the previous owner had them set too low.

They are not dull, and they are not yellow!

So far, this is the best individual upgrade/modification I have made to the LS without a doubt (and those Bassani Mufflers are cool)!

I hope someone else tries them and reports back. I am trying to not play them up too much or exaggerate.

I did raise the height of them with the adjusters, but I did cut them open to do the clear corner mod... so maybe that changed where they were pointed somewhat, or the previous owner had them set too low.

They are not dull, and they are not yellow!

So far, this is the best upgrade/modification I have made to the LS without a doubt (and those Bassani Mufflers are cool)!

The specified outputs I am finding is 1000 lumens for the 9006 and 1870 for the 9012, so that 90% increase in light is what you are seeing and not an exaggeration!

what were these bulbs originally intended for, scince you had to trim the tabs a little, yet it has the right plug.

and I'm guessing then phillips does not make bulbs for our car

what were these bulbs originally intended for, scince you had to trim the tabs a little, yet it has the right plug.

and I'm guessing then phillips does not make bulbs for our car
They are 9012 bulbs, designed for 9012 applications. However, they use all of the same "important" dimensions; it just requires trimming a tab.

Philips makes tons of bulbs, just like Sylvania and many other manufacturers. You cannot get a 9006 bulb off the shelf with the characteristics of the 9012/HIR2, if that is what you are asking.

Because of some laws on a new architecture bulb, they had to at least modify something so they chose 1 tab.

GE made the first design of the HIR 9012 called GEN1, Toshiba made GEN2, now Philips is making the GEN3 HIR2 9012.

http://hirheadlights.com/FAQs.htm Very old info (i.e. Toshiba does not make these bulbs anymore)

Autos which take the HIR bulbs include: Audi, Acura, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chevy, Chrysler, Corvette, Dodge, Ford, THunderbird, GMC, Honda, Infiniti, Jaguar, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercedes, Mercury, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Subaru, Toyota, Volkswagen, VW, Volvo.

... I'm guessing then phillips does not make bulbs for our car

Philips does make bulbs for our LS in the 9006 architecture.

All 9006 bulbs will still be 1000 lumens max and have a shorter life.

Philips Gen3 HIR2 9012 are 1875 Lumens, Whiter Kelvin (not yellow), 1400 hours of life.

(Some Sylvania SilverStar 9006 bulbs are 200-300 hours)

Philips does make bulbs for our LS in the 9006 architecture.

All 9006 bulbs will still be 1000 lumens max and have a shorter life.

Philips Gen3 HIR2 9012 are 1875 Lumens, Whiter Kelvin (not yellow), 1400 hours of life.

(Some Sylvania SilverStar 9006 bulbs are 200-300 hours)

What I meant to to ask was phillips does not make a bulb with those sort of specs for our car in the 9006 architecture.

but with some slight modification they work just fine which is cool,

Correct. It's a new architecture. 9006 is limited to 1000 lumens max (regardless of manufacturer). 9012 had to have the base of the bulb modified for legal reasons (regardless of manufacturer). No one can put the specs of the 9012 bulb on a 9006 mount. The 9012 is the same mount as the 9006 but with 1 wider/taller tab (a really simple fix). If you can cut open the thick plastic packaging on any product sold today, then you can do it, as this 9012 modification will be 1,000 times easier. You can use a razor, a knife, an exacto, a utility knife, finger nail clippers or wire cutters... all of those will get the job done by making the tab smaller. It's actually easier and quicker than cutting your finger nails. (Just don't touch the 9006 or 9012 glass bulb, clean it with alcohol if you do).

Members online

Back