Philips HIR2 9012 Standard Halogen Headlight Bulb

LDM

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I ordered these yesterday. Tired of the dim low beam headlights. Going to cut/trim the top mount of the bulb to fit into the headlight assembly.

Philips HIR2 9012 Standard Halogen Headlight Bulb:
Amazon.com: Philips HIR2 9012 Standard Halogen Headlight Bulb, Pack of 1: Automotive

So far the hi-beams seem to be ok, but might upgrade those too to Philips HIR1 9011 bulbs.

Anyone using Philips HIR2 or HIR1 like them?
(The last posts about these were 2-3 years ago, and I didn't read about anyone actually using them).

Nope I have factory HID and dont use the highs enough to justify the pruchase.

I was hoping to just stick with the upgrade to the low beams too. Seems the SilverStar or SilverStar Ultra's 9006 bulbs for low beams burn out quickly (6-12 months), and some have said the PIAA bulbs are over-rated... so I thought I'd try the HIR2 (with higher Lumens).

I'm interested. Let us know how hard the install is and what you think of the revised light output.

Thanks,

I've thought about getting some for my high beams. I believe you have to modify them to fit. It involves cutting out a divider in the bulb base. Not sure if that applies to the LS though.

Procedure to modify Low Beam HIR2/9012 bulbs to fit HB4/9006 socket (simple):

http://store.candlepower.com/mohirbuba.html
http://pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10781&start=0

2864724773_aaafc177c1.jpg

I have not used the Philips in my LS but I have used Philips in my Explorer.

I understand that it is an apple-orange comparison...but FWIW...the Philips was not an upgrade over the PIAA, which in turn was not an upgrade over stock.

The Gen3 Philips HIR2/9012 bulb is supposed to have more Lumens (1800 Lumens) than any 9006 bulb (1000 Lumens) - whether its PIAA or Philips 9006 or Philips Extreme 9006, or GE 9006 Nighthawk Sport, or Silvania SilverStar Ultra bulbs etc. Guess I will find out and report back when they get in.

Looking forward to hearing your results. I use the most expensive Silverstars available but they're not the greatest.

The Philips HIR2/9012 bulbs are here. I had my dremel out, but decided it was easier to just use a wire cutter, and then a slight trim with an exacto knife.

First picture with lights on has the new light in the drivers side, original bulb in passenger side.

Second picture with lights on has new bulbs in both sides.

The new bulbs are whiter... (it's hard to tell in these pictures during the day)

I will let you know in the next few days how they are when driving at night.

0702111548_01.jpg

0702111527.jpg

0702111533.jpg

0702111538.jpg

0702111551.jpg

0702111554.jpg

0702111708.jpg

I'll take some pictures tonight with the lights on against the garage door, from where it's parked now at 3'-4' away.

Drivers side Original 9006 HB4 Sylvania bulb (Made in the USA)
Passengers side 9012 HIR2 Philips bulb (Made in Germany)

0702112152.jpg

Nice results. How much better do they perform in Person?

Although I haven't driven it yet at night, it's noticeable in person.

I am going out for a test drive at night in a couple hours... I'll report back on how it works out. My drive back into town is very dark, so I am used to the roads and how dim the original lights were in that area... hoping for a noticeable improvement.

The trimming of the one tab per bulb via a wire cutter and exacto knife was 5 minutes per side, very quick and easy... just make "multiple small cuts" and trim down to size. It was really easy. Even with removal, cutting, trimming, taking pictures and the reinstall it was 20-30 minutes tops.

The areas in red below is what I cut off with the wire cutter, then trimmed the edges with an exacto/utility knife.
(I cut the top off first, then cut off the side, then trimmed it).

0702111527.jpg

I went out for 3 different night time drives tonight, a total of 60 miles, on different roads, some 2 lane and some 4 lane divided roads etc.

These Philips HIR2 9012 LL (Long Life) bulbs are great! Much safer! Noticeable, brighter, whiter, see more of the road etc etc.

I had fun driving at night, more confident, less eye-strain.

Road signs, reflectors, bushes, trees, white lines in the road etc where much more visible.

I am very pleased with these bulbs! Worth the money and a few minutes of your time.

Get these! Philips HIR2 9012 LL Standard Halogen Headlight Bulbs

Technicals...

Original/Stock ... Philips Gen3
HB4/9006 ......... HIR2/9012 LL
--------- ......... ------------
850-1150 ......... 1870.......... Lumens - Brighter
3200K .............. 3600K........ Color Temp/Kelvin - Whiter
800-1000 ......... 1400.......... Hours - Longer Lasting

Some popular brands of HB4/9006 bulbs are rated at 150-300 hours of life. Get the Philips HIR2/9012 LL instead.

I haven't tried it, but if the fogs use 9006/HB4 then yes they will fit. It will cause more glare to on-coming traffic as the tips of the 9012/HIR2 bulbs are not blacked out. The LS low beam headlight has a cover for the tips, the fogs do not.

I still can't get over how much better these are! It's been 10 days and I still check out things I didn't see as well before. The low beam lights are almost the exact color of the high beams. It's fun to drive at night again!

How familiar are you with lighting in general? The pictures appear to have a lot of added glare from the upgraded bulbs, can you comment on if that really is how it is? I would not think it would be that bad, since the bulb design is the same as stock, but would hate to have them basically glare like a set of HID retrofits.

I don't notice any glare. I have not had any one flash their lights at me either, and I have been on two lane roads out of town with no one flashing their lights with streams of on coming traffic for miles coming back into town on Sunday night.

Members online

Back