PATS key chip size/location?

Bangster

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have one real PATS key cut and programmed for my 97 Mark VIII.

I have a key from a car being junked, paired with a plain key cut for my car for a backup.

I want to remove the RFID/chip from the key and attach it either to the plain key or to a smaller item on the key ring.

I have done similar with newer/different technology PATS keys (I pulled the chip from one for a remote start, one for a cheap backup key), but it isn't obvious to me where the chip is, and if it is something I can remove without destroying it (I don't care about the key).

Alternately I was planning on cutting off the part of the key that goes in the tumbler, and make it an ugly key fob. Maybe embed it in the RKE fob.

chip from a key that works with my 2000 Grand Marquis:
26010450852_6298314430_b.jpg

obvious cap where chip is in head of key:
26077050186_f9aa8df03c_b.jpg

26077053576_aaa571021d_b.jpg

Yes I am too cheap to buy one off eBay for 40-60 bucks. I have a spare now and was happy, but there are times where I want two sets of keys and fobs in play (and one spare in a safe place).

I have no clue where/how the chip is arranged inside the OEM key. I've been wondering that myself, actually...

That being said, I have replacement, uncut "square-head" keys available for $30 shipped.

I have seen others take a M8 key from another car and use pliers and heat it with their stove to get the plastic part off. Then they get a regular key cut and put the plastic over it with some jb weld. Depending on the key cut you may have to trim it so the plastic parts fits over it.

I recently found a key at an auto recycler and planned to give this a try myself.

That is in a nut shell what I want to do. I have a key cut for a different car from the junk yard. For now it is a spare left at home "in case", but I want to do another one that can be used every day, but isn't two keys. I am not sure I am willing now to wreck a key without having another one to fall back on. I think putting it in the RKE fob for me would be ideal.

[video]https://youtu.be/tqWepNkyhrc[/video]

I got a spare key cut (won't start, only open doors, trunk and ignition). I programmed the key from the recyclers and now, just have to heat the Lincoln recycler key to get the plastic PATS part off and trim the spare key so it will fit.
Once it slides on, I will use some jb weld or auto goop (strongest silicone adhesive I've seen) and that's all there is to it. I looked for the video I seen about a year ago...sorry wasn't able to find it for you.

I found a key from a different 97 lsc that I pocketed at a junk yard ... left it in trunk of my 97 lsc ... well long story short I lost my original key ... lock smith came out same thing he made key only opens trunk door and glove box.... but after further examination the original keys have a chip inside lock smith cut the key u found at the junk apart with garden hand held sheers and put that “chip” into a key that he had in his truck made by stratec “ and manually programmed it to the car . 1 and half hours later my car was firing up and running , only bad thing is I don’t have a original key anymore :(

you can program (add additional keys) as long as you have one main key. I did not ever get around to removing the black plastic with chip to the cut key. I did test it. You can have the added program key near the ignition and use the regular key to start the M8 if you are in a pinch. I'm not sure if it has to stay by the ignition or if it just checks the chip at start up. To be safe, i would keep it close by the regular key until you arrived at your destination.

If i remember this thread it lists how to program an extra key, either way here are the instructions so you do not have read entire thread.

How to Program a 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII Ignition Transponder Chip Key. Step by Step How to Programming Instructions:

Can I program a spare key myself if I have one working key?
Yes, once you have had the new key cut by a Locksmith use the following instructions.

1. Using an already programmed key that you can start your engine with, turn the ignition from the ON to the OFF position.

2. Within 15 seconds, insert a new key into the ignition and turn it to ON or START. The vehicle does not have to be started. If the key has been coded, the theft indicator will illuminate for two seconds.

3. The key can then be used to start the vehicle.

Repeat until all chosen keys have been programmed. (max=8).

If the key coding failed, the theft indicator will flash and the vehicle cannot be started. One of 3 causes are possible:
The new key was not inserted within 15 seconds.
All 8 key codes have been stored.
The key does not have an electronic code

Thanks man hopefully when I get a original key again I’ll program one , for now they key I have says “Italy” in it

Members online

No members online now.
Back