parking brake

Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. (The message center will guide you through the steps to reset the light in this case.)
A weak battery.
Broken plastic clip where the parking brake cable attaches to either rear caliper.
Very badly worn rear brake pads and/or rotors.
Other mechanical defect with the parking brake system.
Electrical problem with the parking brake system (includes the parking brake switch itself.)
Electrical problem with the CAN bus, cluster, PCM, or ABS modules.
Random problem that will resolve after a drive or two where you use the parking brake each time.

In other words, think of the "Service Parking Brake" message as a second CEL. LOL

Mine was acting up when the DCCV went bad and blew the fuse under the hood. Something completely unrelated made me get the message.

it came back on after the battery went dead, it has came on and off before but always went off, trying to sell the car and it started coming on. if it does not go off i will disconnect the battery and see if that resets it, all the brakes and stuff are all good, just did that after the battery went down from setting. thanks

I get the service parking brake light about every 2-2.5 years. I bought an Advance Auto Parts battery with 36 month free replacement several years ago. Whenever the light comes on, I go to Advance, they load test the battery, and install a new one at no charge. Not sure if it is my local store making an error or if it is company policy, but my 36 month free replacement gets "reset" with each replacement. It seems that if the battery goes bad every 30 months, I have a lifetime warranty. :D Only once at 18 months after a new battery it was not the battery. Cleaning the ground cable connection at the starter fixed it. 4 months later, it was the battery.

it came back on after the battery went dead, it has came on and off before but always went off, trying to sell the car and it started coming on. if it does not go off i will disconnect the battery and see if that resets it, all the brakes and stuff are all good, just did that after the battery went down from setting. thanks

You have to follow the parking brake recalibrate procedure. It's basically just applying and releasing the parking brake as directed by the message center.

Mine just came on too, what if you don't have the message center? how do u calibrate it?

Mine just came on too, what if you don't have the message center? how do u calibrate it?

I wish I could remember the exact sequence. I think it's just that you drive a few yards, stop put it in park leave your foot on the brake and set the parking brake. Wait a few seconds and put it back in drive and drive a few more yards. You may have to repeat this one more time.

Emergency brake loose

How can you "tighten" the handbrake/manual pull emergency brake on a Gen 1 ls? i have my entire center console torn apart at the moment...but i feel perhaps it may not be here...but where the line splits to left and right halves under the body???
I dont think it really need much adjusting...but it doesnt seem to grab that well untill i make it about 3 full clicks in...the car will not move in "D" once ive reached this point. Or is this as expected?

How can you "tighten" the handbrake/manual pull emergency brake on a Gen 1 ls? i have my entire center console torn apart at the moment...but i feel perhaps it may not be here...but where the line splits to left and right halves under the body???
I dont think it really need much adjusting...but it doesnt seem to grab that well untill i make it about 3 full clicks in...the car will not move in "D" once ive reached this point. Or is this as expected?

The gen I parking brake is an auto-adjust system. If pulling the handle up locks the rear wheels before it is at the end of its travel, it is working correctly. There's no adjustment other than to repair/replace any defective parts.

Oldish thread revival.

I had the car jacked up this weekend and had time to inspect the park brake. I had intermittent park brake issues for year, it would be maybe once a month I would have a service message. It eventually became every single time, which corresponded with my brake pads wearing.

I did new brakes last month and the error is still there.

I have followed the "recalibration method" (basically engage, then disengage..lol). And to no avail.

I inspected all plastic clips at the calipers and visually where the cables run to behind the gas tank. I took a few photos because I am not 100% this is what it should look like back there, but it seems operable.

Keep in mind, my parking brake works still (most of the time, sometimes it will not let me apply it).

These photos are from different angles looking at the assembly by the gas tank, that floating metal piece seems very odd. However, I observed it with the application and disengagement of the park brake and it seems to work fine. So if anyone sees anything wrong with these photos, do tell:

photo4ri.jpg

photo3ni.jpg

photo2yu.jpg

photo1yq.jpg

Since mechanically it is checking out, I am wondering if the parking brake module itself, or another factor that tells the message to show up.

...Since mechanically it is checking out, I am wondering if the parking brake module itself, or another factor that tells the message to show up.

There is a TSB out for 04 LS that basically says to replace the parking brake module if the service parking brake light is coming on.

I also know that the parking brake is pretty picky about battery condition, at least on my 04 (the 06 doesn't seem to care).

Okay awesome, I feel like that TSB is exactly my issue.

My battery is charging fine, strong 14+ volts running. It is new as of last few month, and it did this with my last one as well (which was also good). I went from wet cell to dry cell.

I found a used EPB on ebay for about 50 bucks shipped. Probably worth a shot. (Assuming they revised the issue post 2004). RockAuto doesn't seem to list the part in the catalog, so I'm not sure where to find new (other than stealership).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-LINCOL...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Joe, the module is the black box on driver's side of the trunk, yea?

Looks like there is two for the same issue:

TSB data for: 2004 LINCOLN LS
Bulletin Number: 17673
Sequence Number: 10007427
Date: 20040301
Component Name: 053000 PARKING BRAKE: INDICATOR LIGHT
Make: LINCOLN
Model: LS
Year: 2004
Summary:
SERVICE PARK BRAKE MESSAGE WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) B2477 IN THE ELCTRONIC PARK BRAKE MODULE. *TT

The dealerships don't take care of TSBs for free, right? Like a recall.

Sorry, no.

TSBs just give them guidance on solving particular problems. You could correctly argue that they identified a problem with the 2004 module and that it should still be covered out of warranty, but I don't think that will get you anywhere.

Just got back in town and able to access ebay to buy that module...

Which one of you asses bought it? lol

*facepalm*

Just a bump for solution.

I found a Parking Brake Module on ebay and it worked.

Note that original module (on my 2004 at least) will read "Revision -"

The one I replaced it with is "Revision A". I am assuming the
"service parking brake" was one of, if not the reason for revising this part.

BTW I got it for 30 bucks. Not bad, IMO.

In other words, think of the "Service Parking Brake" message as a second CEL. LOL

Mine was acting up when the DCCV went bad and blew the fuse under the hood. Something completely unrelated made me get the message.

weird; i didnt have problems with the fuse, but i got the parking brake message right before dccv (heater control valve) went bad and started s_hitting coolant & blowing hot air even on A/C. The park brake would go off every few days, even after resetting it, until i replaced dccv. parking brake light magically stopped coming on after dccv replacement.

I think its a coincidence, but odd that they were related for us both. mine is 05 v6

Members online

Back