Parking Brake Issues

RUMBLE BEE 1546

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My parking brake release worked for about a year after getting the car, then it stopped and had to be released manually. About a month ago I had the frond UCAs and drivers LCA replaced to fix a big pulling issue and the parking brake released normally after that.

Today I get in and try to go but the car wont go. I look at the dash and no light on and the brake is on. Down on the floor is a small broken piece of plastic so I look up and try to find where it came from and no luck.

Anyone have ideas on how to fix this? I was surprised the light wasn't on. :(

Pictures are going to help here. Just to be clear, the parking brake is set, the brake light isn't illuminated, the parking brake won't release, and there is a broken piece of plastic laying in the driverside footwell?

Pictures are going to help here. Just to be clear, the parking brake is set, the brake light isn't illuminated, the parking brake won't release, and there is a broken piece of plastic laying in the driverside footwell?

Yes. I will take a picture of the piece that broke off. I can't find where it was attaché to though.

This might be of some help to identify the broken piece. I had to swap out my manual release cable after it seized up from rust from TWO floods over the past three years. The pedal assembly is a bitch to get out. There are a bunch of wiring harness connectors attached to the bracket that have to be unplugged and moved out of the way and a couple of hidden bolts that you have to remove. Oh yeah, and the ECU and wiper module have to be removed as well. Then the assembly has to be twisted and turned to actually get it out. The biggest headache for me was the fact that even with the front seat removed I couldn't get both hands up in there to do anything while lying under the dash. There's just no room to maneuver. Hopefully whatever broke on yours can be replaced without removing the whole pedal assembly.

Note that in the second pic, it's upside down (pedal is at the top).

brakepedalinstalled.jpg

brakepedal2.jpg

Here's what I found on the floor. I looked up there and couldn't find but one piece of plastic that matched it in color and it appeared to be intact.

Thank you for the picture Marcus. That is very helpful. I will try and look again this afternoon. :p

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

It's hard for me to tell from your pic (I'm on my phone) but it looks like it could be the brake warning light switch. See these pics.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=931219&cc=1316153

Only $10 from Rock Auto and it should be an easy replacement.

That's what I was thinking but when I checked it looked intact. I will look again when I have time. Spent yesterday afternoon washing cars and cleansed up the interior on the Lincoln. Was very dusty.

Apparently when I looked it was too dark. I just checked again and it was the brake warning light piece. It was broken at almost the perfect spot to where it looked like it wasn't broken (if that makes sense). Thank you again Marcus!

Staff online

Members online

Back