Painted Rims?

pghpete22

LVC Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen this question posted here yet. I want to do quite a few things with my 00 LS, including lowering, slotted & drilled rotors, painted calipers, performance chip, etc. While I've seen so many cool wheel setups here, that expense is out of my reach.

Has anyone heard of powder coating a stock rim? IMHO, the stock rims I have on the car are the best they ever had to choose from to put on the car, and are still pretty cool looking for stock (gray/silver 5-spoke). With a blacked out McLarren grille, I'm visioning black wheels on the car too.

Has anyone done this, does this idea sound stupid or could I be on to something?

There have been a few people who have painted the stock rims. I would go with powder coating it will stand up to more abuse. Paint will start to peel and chip after a short time.

Yes, pictures please. I thought I was going to get laughed right off of this forum. I can see it now, black painted stock rims, lowered about an inch, slotted/drilled rotors with blue or red painted calipers...

If you have the grey LSE wheels I dont think I would change the color. I would..as bad as I hate when people tell me this, leave them alone. I love those wheels

My setup:

Black Painted Rims w/Polished Lip
Sprint Springs
Powerslot Slotted Rotors
Black Calipers & Grey Base

n502065098_2116118_6177.jpg

Nice. Those are the rims I have too. Can you post a side shot or two of the whole car? I do like that look.

Love the way they look in black. How much was it to paint?

Not to be picky or rude, but you may want to put some caps on your valve stems ;)

But they look great. Did you paint them yourself, or did you have someone do it for you?

Dido on the side shoot request...

The wheels were painted by a friend and me at his bodyshop I only had to pay the materials.

n502065098_1708357_9081.jpg

n502065098_1708361_477.jpg

n502065098_2116105_1823.jpg

Those wheels look good. I take it they werent the chrome?
One thing, I wouldnt call that a lip. Its more of the rim.

How about those rims on a silver ls? I have them in chrome but I'm thinkin about blackin them out since I have black tail lights, fog lights, and tinted windows. What do you guys think?

Sorry I don't have better pics, but here's acouple:

IMG_8442-1.jpg

IMG_8117.jpg

And mine is ivory, not silver. But you get the idea.

anybody ever paint the stock 16" 6 spoke black? thinking about doing that and lowering...let me know ideas....

anybody ever paint the stock 16" 6 spoke black? thinking about doing that and lowering...let me know ideas....

I am planning on painting the inside of the spokes on mine because they are nasty and corroded.

OP do your wheels look like this?

IMG_20110227_145403.jpg

And btw I love those black wheels! I honestly wish I didn't have the LSE wheels so I could paint them a dark gun metal.

Dan Ro, I have a couple buddies who work at auto detailing places and I have access to some pretty awesome car-safe acids. My wheels were not severely corroded but they were pretty bad. Used some cleaning acid they have called "Ninja" and it really cleaned it up.

If your looking into cleaning them up before you want to paint them in the spring we can meet up

Has anyone powder coated '06 rims before? I am thinking about powder coating the lower portions of my alloy ones a black chrome and leave the machined finish alone.

I don't think anyone's tried that one, yet. There's just a handful of us that own '06's (although the list is growing ;-) ). I've got the chrome stockers that will now be my winter wheels. The previous owner didn't take care of them enough so the chrome plating is starting to flake in a couple spots near the back edges. I'm debating on whether I'll try to do something with mine as well.

I painted my wheels Black with a rattle can and they have actually held up pretty well so far. Im gonna redo them this spring, I love the black on silver look!!!

View attachment 61064

I painted mine flat blk. I took the cheap route since I had just bought new tires and I wasen't sure what rims I wanted to get. The center cap was painted blk also just masked off the lincoln logo and I think it stands out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back