P0705 Troublecode question

supergordo

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm working on a 97 Mark 8 that has a P0705 troublecode. I know that this is a range sensor fault. I replaced the MLPS with a known good one and the problem persists. The info center on the dash states "Gear shift selector malfunction". When you put the car into reverse the "R" indicator on the dash lights up, as will the one on the shifter in the center console. Once you put it into drive the D will light up momentarily on the dash then goes out. The D on the shifter doesn't light up at all.
I've cleaned all the connections on the wiring harness on the tranny, no change. Replaced the MLPS, no change. Adjusted the MLPS, no change.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I was thinking that thecircut board with the LED's on it that illuminates the shifter may be bad, or possibly the computer itself not reading the signal from the wiring.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and related experience on this.

Hey, great introduction. Nice car, love the color.

Thanks. I know what the P0705 fault means. I've used google before. Your link found 2 mark 8 related posts that basically stated {change or adjust the MLPS} As well I went through about 15 pages of old posts during a thorough search of the site trying to find similar issues prior to making this post. I'm not looking to be spoon fed. Sorry to trouble you.

Sounds like you have an exposed wire, prolly on the gear selector itself. Also trans fluid eats wire jackets too so I would recheck the wires around the trans and also the VSS wires.

And the reason for getting chit is this place is a little like real life. If a car dude comes up to me, introduces themselves, talks story aout cars for a few minutes and then says "Hey, my car has some trouble. You have any ideas what xxxxx means?" then I will try and help them as will others on here.

If I am someplace and a dude comes running up to me and says "Hey my car has this issue, what do I fix?" and I dont know the dude and its the first time hes shown up then chances are I will just ignore him or purposly give wrong info. :D

Just an FYI of how many here think of first post issue questions.

Start a thread, show off the car, tell us where your at and how much you are in to cars, tell us you have issues you wanna work on. Chances are people will just ask what they are and offer help and/or free parts. I have sent several people here spare parts for free I just had laying around and others have done the same for me.

Sounds like you have an exposed wire, prolly on the gear selector itself. Also trans fluid eats wire jackets too so I would recheck the wires around the trans and also the VSS wires.

And the reason for getting chit is this place is a little like real life. If a car dude comes up to me, introduces themselves, talks story aout cars for a few minutes and then says "Hey, my car has some trouble. You have any ideas what xxxxx means?" then I will try and help them as will others on here.

If I am someplace and a dude comes running up to me and says "Hey my car has this issue, what do I fix?" and I dont know the dude and its the first time hes shown up then chances are I will just ignore him or purposly give wrong info. :D

Just an FYI of how many here think of first post issue questions.

Start a thread, show off the car, tell us where your at and how much you are in to cars, tell us you have issues you wanna work on. Chances are people will just ask what they are and offer help and/or free parts. I have sent several people here spare parts for free I just had laying around and others have done the same for me.

I appreciate what your saying, but I thought that the welcome wagon section is for getting the introductions out of the way.
I am a car guy. I work on cars 7 days a week. I have a 1994 T bird thats getting a DOHC from a mark in it soon. I have a 97 T bird, an 85 Mercury Capri 5.0, a 2000 explorer, and a 78 Ford country squire station wagon. And of course this Mark 8.
I love MN12's and FN10's! Can't get enough of them.

The current issue is a tedious one. I needed to get it past the smog test by yesterday which unfortunately didn't happen. In Nevada they won't pass any OBD2 car that has a CEL on.

To recap, I've swapped out the MLPS with a known good unit. Same results
I've removed the tranny wiring harness and inspected it and done continuity tests throughout and it seems to be ok.
The shifter gate does NOT light up the 2nd gear, or Drive indicators.

Seems to me at this point that either the computer is bad, or the little circuit board that has the LED's on it in the shifter isn't sending a signal to the computer. I don't have a breakout box to test the wiring to the computer, so I guess I'll be doing that the hard way shortly.
Guess we'll see what happens.

I apologize in advance for the 10.5 year old thread bump. However I had a member send me a message about this today so I’ve decided to post the fix. In my case with this car that was mentioned, the small circuit board that illuminates the shift indicator had to be replaced. I picked one out of the junkyard at the time. The check engine light never came back and we passed the smog test required in Nevada.

Staff online

Members online

Back