Overheating at idle

eastcoastLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I replaced the coolant reservoir 2 days ago to stop the leak behind the drivers front wheel. Everything was good until today. I park the car and sit in it idling with the A/C on for about 10 minutes. Suddenly I noticed the temp gauge creeping up because my A/C turned warm. When I get out and pop the hood to check the cooling fan, I notice it is barely moving any air at all. Meanwhile my temp gauge is still rising. Any ideas as to what I need to do to make my car idle at normal operating temperatures.

I replaced the coolant reservoir 2 days ago to stop the leak behind the drivers front wheel. Everything was good until today. I park the car and sit in it idling with the A/C on for about 10 minutes. Suddenly I noticed the temp gauge creeping up because my A/C turned warm. When I get out and pop the hood to check the cooling fan, I notice it is barely moving any air at all. Meanwhile my temp gauge is still rising. Any ideas as to what I need to do to make my car idle at normal operating temperatures.

are you sure you bleed it correctly, if theres air in the system, it will continue to over heat

if the fan is not spinning fast enough - that's likely your issue. there are many threads on this - but in short - it could either be the hydralic fan pump or the fan side actuator.

It could be the pump or could be the fan. The only way to know for sure - is to use a pressure tester - where you disconnect the pump-to-fan hose and connect it to this tester. It will tell them if there is enough PSI coming out of the pump. if it's good - fan, if not - pump.

the problem is that since the LS is one of the few cars with this type of fan - most shops do not have this tester. Most of the time they swap both simply because they can't test it. You are suppose to be able to use the same tester for power steering pumps - but again - shop normally swap it since it is easy to diagnose without testing...

It's usually the pump... but no way for a DIYer to test it.

Thanks quik for the info. I am going to have a pressure test done on it in the next couple days. I will post once the problem is solved, and how it was.

I went to have a pressure test done on my vehicle and the mechanic didn't have the pressure tester, so he drained my all the 50/50. In doing so we found metal shards in the fluid. He then refilled my cooling system. And I have just been letting the car sit for now.

Members online

No members online now.
Back