Over-quoted?

K2K

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey -

Wondering if any audio guys could tell me if I got over-quoted on this. All I want and asked for was a "basic" sub set-up in my Eldorado - I don't want anything *too* loud, just a little low-end pick-up.

Anyway, here's what Cartoys quoted me (the prices seemed okay, but I think it's the items they may have exaggerated a bit on):

MTXA SPKR. 12" SUB 149.95
MTXA SPKR. 12" SUB 149.95
INSTALL 150.00
Parts Charge 12.00
MTXA AMP. MONO, 400W 299.95
CUSTOM BOX 65.00
SWIE 4GA KIT - BLUE 99.95
MISCELLANEOUS LA 50.00
Parts Charge 9.20
SWIE 16.4' ZERO NOISE 49.95

TOTAL 1074.50

Any thoughts?

You'll get more bang for the buck by buying from another store.

Ikesound always has good values.
I saw a 1600 watt subwoofer amplifier for $235.

Install kit
That 4-Gauge wire kit is way overpriced. 0-gauge welding cable is available for only $1.30 per foot at Welding Supply. 19 feet will be more than enough. Don't let the fact that it's called "welding cable" turn you off; it's oxygen-free copper cable and it's plenty flexible. Copper wire is copper wire.

The fittings/fuse holders/etc. can be bought off eBay for as little as $10.
Speaker wire is pretty easy to find anywhere. Even Walmart has that. 12-gauge or lower for your subwoofers; 16-gauge or lower for your other speakers.

The install price is the only thing that doesn't look unnecessarily high.

I got a 1000 watt Orion mono amp, a Resonant Engineering SX12 sub, 4 Infinity Kappa speakers, a Planet Audio 300 watt 4-channel amp, a nice Alpine headunit, and all the necessary connecting wires & hardware for only about a $150 more than what you were quoted.

You're only getting 2 subs and an amp.

You say that you don't need it to be "that" loud, but you're willing to spend over $1000 for the system. I say if you're willing to spend that much money on your hardware, you should get as much as you can.

Bottom line is, these guys aren't necessarily hosing you since you were quoted what appears to be a typical retail price that hardware, but you can do WAY BETTER than "typical retail."

I suggest you shop around for better stuff that costs the same amount of money, then take it all to them to install (if you don't want to install it all yourself).

Well, dropping $1000 isn't really my first choice, but I'll do it if I have to.

When I went in, I was just looking for a simple set-up (and price) - is there anything reasonable for $300-$400?

K2K said:

When I went in, I was just looking for a simple set-up (and price) - is there anything reasonable for $300-$400?

Well, here's some of what I bought for myself:

Resonant Engineering SX12 - ~$260 here (They only take orders by phone).

Orion 1200 watt mono amp - $209 here.

Installation kit - shouldn't need to spend more than $30 on eBay. Make sure the kit has 4-gauge or a lower number-gauge power wire.

Custom ported box built to the subwoofer's specs (1.9 cubic feet with a port tuned to 32Hz.) - the $65 you already quoted, or call these guys and have them build a good box for you.

Total: a little over $564 for superior products + whatever your guys charge to install it.

More than $400, but a fine setup for certain. In fact the sub setup would be marginally better than my own.

I believe that you would have to find a different amp. Im pretty sure you cant run two subs from a single mono amp.

MarkVIII93 said:
I believe that you would have to find a different amp. Im pretty sure you cant run two subs from a single mono amp.
It's very common to run two subs off of a single amplifier.

Whether or not it's safe to do is dependent upon the impedance (electrical resistance) of the sub's driver components compared to the amplifier specifications.

For example, two subwoofers that each have an impedance of 2 ohms, can be wired in series to an amplifier that runs stable at 4 ohms.

Another example: a single subwoofer with dual 2 ohm voice coils can be wired parallel to an amplifier that runs stable at 1 ohm.

School_Zone said:
It's very common to run two subs off of a single amplifier.

Whether or not it's safe to do is dependent upon the impedance (electrical resistance) of the sub's driver components compared to the amplifier specifications.

For example, two subwoofers that each have an impedance of 2 ohms, can be wired in series to an amplifier that runs stable at 4 ohms.

Another example: a single subwoofer with dual 2 ohm voice coils can be wired parallel to an amplifier that runs stable at 1 ohm.

Doesnt MONO mean only one speaker/sub can be hooked up to it? Like a 2 channel means you can only hook up two speakers/subs right?

MarkVIII93 said:
Doesnt MONO mean only one speaker/sub can be hooked up to it? Like a 2 channel means you can only hook up two speakers/subs right?
In the context of an audio system, the term mono means 1 audio channel, as opposed to stereo's 2 channels.

With stereo, the left and right channels can be putting out totally different sounds at once.

With mono, there's only 1 channel so any speakers hooked up to a mono amp will all be broadcasting the exact same sound at the same time.

That 1 channel will be the combination of the left and right channels from the head unit.

The bottom line is it's perfectly okay to wire more than 1 sub to an amplifier as long as the amplifier is built to handle it.

ditch the MTX equipment altogther. You will not be satisfied with their sound. For the price you are looking at, find a dealer that offers JL audio. Purchase the e2150 which gives out 150w x 2 and bridged will give off around 400w...purchase price, 150. Then buy JL 10w1's or just one 12w1, even better their pre-made HO boxes are well worth the price 299-499 each. You won't be sorry. The advice with the welding 0g wire, excellent, that is what I use. Speaker wire, check KnuKonceptz.com for some good speakerwire.

You should be able to get into this for under 500 bucks. The price they quoted you, is IMO, ludicrous. You can find a much better price at a smaller brick and morter install shop. Plus nearly everyone sells JL. Just my .02 worth.

K2K said:

I think you could cut down some off the cost if you went with 10"s you should also goto best buy or circuit city and get open box stuff they will make sure it works. Remember you get what you pay for!!!!!

JLs are very good, but the problem is everyone knows about them.

JL is a mainstream brand which advertises in magazines, and can be easily found in stores like Tweeter. JL makes great products, but you can do better with those of lesser known brands whose products will not only sound better, but get louder too.

Adire Audio's Brama line, and Resonant Engineering's XXX get by on word of mouth advertisement. On car audio message boards they both fair better when compared to JLs. Take your time shopping around.

Do yourself a favor; steer clear of the "Best Buy box of the day." Make sure your subwoofer box is sized to match the specifications of whichever subwoofer you choose. Your ears will thank you.

I agree with the JL. I have used JL Audio in my competition cars for over 10 years. Even as far as using them in my 2002 USACi world Champion. I have heard some of the best sounding cars in the world. I have found that JL is one of the best sounding. with Focal maybe just above. So what if they are main stream. how many people knew Rockford or Alpine 20 years ago. JL was designed by competors in sound quality. Look at the W7, 7 patents, capable of handling insane power. A pure SQ/SPL sub.

Tim

go cadence or memphis
im running a memphis amp 1100 watt @ 1 ohm i had two cadence wildbeast 12's
then i switched over the subs to two memphis subs.

im going to be running 2 audiobahn subs soon.

The box makes the system! I would go with Kicker if I were you thats what I have check out the pics in the garage... JL's are great but I have always liked kickers looks/sound better thats just my opinion though... and if you want just a little bit of bang go to best buy get 2 stage 1 punchs and a 900W rockford amp go buy that 65$ box you were talking about and buy the wires and install it yourself... shouldnt be more than $500 I just hooked up my friends system with the same stuff it sounds good nothing compared to mine lol... I personally hate rockford but this is probably the best bang for your buck... either that or sony Xplod's, AND GET A CAP TOO! surprised nobody said anything about a cap lol

kain is right but you have to look at what amp you will be running at what ohms on what subs. if you can get a 1 ohm stable amp or even better get that load down to 1/2 ohm. the less resistance the better and clearer it will sound.
dont go cheap on the sub and amp part. if you want a good system stick with name brands and the better models dont over power and match the right ohms.
as long as you can handle not turning it up all the time.
i sold my old system cuz i was going deaf for like 1/2 a day or more just from driving to work.
140.5 db's with a full memphis system 2 12's wired to 1 ohm. on a memphis 1000d amp. my goal was to shatter my back window on my jeep. nothing beats going fast and loud bass

NJ95MARK8 said:
go cadence or memphis
im running a memphis amp 1100 watt @ 1 ohm i had two cadence wildbeast 12's
then i switched over the subs to two memphis subs.

im going to be running 2 audiobahn subs soon.

I would keep the memphis subs and forget the audiobahn garbage. They are nothing but crap. They rate right up there with rockwood, and kenford.

Tim

MTX is good JL is awesome and you do get what you pay for but you are looking to spend over 1100 just for the subs not too mention another 1700 for the amplifiers to run them. MTX is a good sub that hits hard and isnt really expensive.

That quote is defently way too much, but mainly due to paying full retail price on the equipment, like has been pointed out. Would do alot better to buy it online and have them install it if your not willing to attempt it.

I have owned lots of subs, JL, MTX, Rockford, Lanzar back when they were good and not pyramid crap ect ect... Most the brands have some very nice subs...
some mtx subs suck, so do some rockford ect.... cant just go off name brand alone, cause most of them make cheap subs that basically suck.

They also have nice subs
MTX has the 9500's
JL has w7's ect...

The box is goin to be a major factor in how good it will sound also. Ive heard so many systems that on paper should seriously rock, that were good, but just not up to par of what they should do, all to a crappy box.

Also id rather have 1 really nice sub then 2 crappy subs. IMO ive found that 1 High quality sub is goin to sound alot better too. Basically if your on a price limit, might be something to consider. Combine what ya would have spent for 2 and get 1.

MarkVIII93 said:

In the car stereo world as long at the impediance is proper you can run as many speakers on an amp that you want. One competion vehicle had 42 speakers( 8 10" subs) hooked to one 2 channel amp, the installer said it was a tuning nightmare.

Tim

Members online

No members online now.
Back