Outer Tie Rods

soduka

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So I'm encountering this problem with these new Moog outer tie rod ends. I've ordered from both Amazon and Rockauto using the selector for a 1994 Mark VIII and both times these two companies set me a tie rod that looks like it would fit/look exactly the same as the one on the car but the ball joint bolt that fits into the wheel assembly is much shorter than the old one. Just about too short to even get a nut on. Anyone have this problem? Is it Moog? Is it me?

Did you press it in all the way? They are designed with a tapered end. So you have to find a way to gently press them in so the nut can grab. At least that is how it worked for me.

I had an ac delco one in the past that was a hair to short I just forced it to work could only fit half the cotter pin in though.

Do you know the size of the nut locking the inner - outer tie rod together? I don't own a crescent wrench that big, going to need to find one. And let's say I'm on the driver's side perspective, which way do I turn it to loosen it?

Jamb nuts are either 21mm or 22mm, which sometimes you can substitute a 13/16ths or 7/8ths for, but they will fit tight. If your looking at the jamb nut from where the wheel would be on the driver's side, nut needs to be turned clockwise to loosen it. Same on the pass side, if your looking at it from the wheel perspective. In other words they're right handed threads like most everything else.

Jamb nuts are either 21mm or 22mm, which sometimes you can substitute a 13/16ths or 7/8ths for, but they will fit tight. If your looking at the jamb nut from where the wheel would be on the driver's side, nut needs to be turned clockwise to loosen it. Same on the pass side, if your looking at it from the wheel perspective. In other words they're right handed threads like most everything else.

Thank you, just making sure they aren't reverse threaded. I've had bad accidents with that mixup before.

chargerxr was correct, 21 *or* 22mm. Have both on hand. The jamb nuts I removed were 21mm but the new ones (moog) were 22mm.

Members online

No members online now.
Back