Only seeing white smoke out of rear driver’s side tail pipe Po133, Po103 and now Po170

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Can someone point me in the right direction here? Kinda confused about this one? So changed the T-stat housing and time will only tell when the plastic over haul will begin but I’m sure it will be within a month now that the Thermostat housing isn’t leaking I have a good feeling the Degas bottle is trashed right now I couldnt keep a steady stream out of bleeder ...tackling that later ...cleaned the maf with maf sensor cleaner a little bit of improvement but nothing major bigger fish to fry or at least mount on the wall first so I will change out fuel filter tomorrow lol....The codes are shooting me with both rich and lean codes now and I’m going to replace all O2 sensors tomorrow...just hope the cats aren’t plugged ...this car is a straight mess ...biggest challenge/project I had in some time...still thinking the chain kit will be going in unless the sound drastically smooths out after the O2 sensors are replaced...the car does smooth out a little bit after it’s running awhile ...smoke is coming out of only the rear driver side pipe...there is more but that’s enough for now...so after pointing all that out would you think replacing fuel injectors should be a must also?
As always my LVC friends ...Thanks in advance for any input

White smoke usually tells me the Head Gasket is bad and you have coolant getting into the cylinder.

White smoke usually tells me the Head Gasket is bad and you have coolant getting into the cylinder.
I thought the same but oil is fine not a trace of coolant found ...could there be coolant in oil even if it’s not visible? I’m going to change the oil today ...keeping my fingers crossed

I thought the same but oil is fine not a trace of coolant found ...could there be coolant in oil even if it’s not visible? I’m going to change the oil today ...keeping my fingers crossed

Why is there an assumption that a head gasket breach would always allow coolant into the oil or oil into the coolant? (Usually, yes. Always, no.)

Anyway, given that head gasket issues with the V8 are very rare, I would want to be sure rather than just assuming it.

Is it really white, or is it a bit gray? Do you smell coolant? Are you adding coolant? Pull the spark plugs. Do any of the cylinders look like they have been steam cleaned?

Why is there an assumption that a head gasket breach would always allow coolant into the oil or oil into the coolant? (Usually, yes. Always, no.)

Anyway, given that head gasket issues with the V8 are very rare, I would want to be sure rather than just assuming it.

Is it really white, or is it a bit gray? Do you smell coolant? Are you adding coolant? Pull the spark plugs. Do any of the cylinders look like they have been steam cleaned?
I’m not leaking or adding coolant ...I changed the oil and it was normal ...No the head gasket isn’t blown and you’re right the exhaust doesn’t smell like coolant.... I just changed the fuel filter and put a new serpentine belt on today, and I changed out the O2 sensor in bank one upstream ...I also. Did a smoke test for air leaks and found none ...the good news is no more PO170 code the bad news is I’m still getting the PO133 and PO102 ...any thoughts where to go from here?

I'm sure that's P0102, not PO102.
Perhaps the MAF sensor or the wiring to it is bad? What do the live readings look like? Does it increase as you open the throttle (engine running)?

I'd ignore the O2 sensor till you've sorted this and any other problems out. So many people want to shoot the messenger...

Perhaps the MAF sensor or the wiring to it is bad? What do the live readings look like? Does it increase as you open the throttle (engine running)?

I'd ignore the O2 sensor till you've sorted this and any other problems out. So many people want to shoot the messenger...
I will go check and get back to you

Forgot to add I cleaned the MAF sensor with cleaner and still g thing this code so maybe it’s time to buy a new sensor

Okay I drove it with my OBDII and the MAF readings went up when I pressed on the throttle driving...I have stored codes P0174 And P0171 bank 1 is running lean and bank 2 is running rich but the pending codes are P0133 and P0102

I must say it’s like night and day. I started the LS today and WOW! What a difference...I do see I have a exhaust leak on the left rear muffler and it’s still smoking more profusely out of the right rear but the idle has smoothed out a lot better still need to keep working but she is certainly coming around ...the thing is I know from my last 2001 LS what this 3.9 is supposed to sound like so I’m not there yet but I’m happy to say I’m moving in the right direction...I will be replacing valve seals and changing all coils next...hopefully she starts purring like a kitten after this is done ...not so sure I need to touch the chain yet but only time will tell... this LS has a terrible looking ignition wire harness ...it’s on my radar for replacement also

Valve stem seals? I didn't think the LS had a problem with these. I'd do all the chains and guides while I had to cams out to do this. Using compressed air to hold the valves up?

Valve stem seals? I didn't think the LS had a problem with these. I'd do all the chains and guides while I had to cams out to do this. Using compressed air to hold the valves up?
You’re right I meant Valve COVER gaskets I think??? I thought I heard someone on the forum say if you see oil on your plugs and correct me if I’m wrong we should replace Valve cover gaskets?

Last edited:
I erased all codes stored and pending going at it with a fresh slate to see if they come back so far they haven’t

Yes if the gaskets and O Rings are getting replaced you’re right the new chain kit is going in also

Members online

Back