One ignition module, and one distributor, plus labor, $400.00?

OldSchool1

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Help a Brother out here folks.

A network administrator in Jersey just told me the tale of his electrical problems and that they came to an end when he had the before mentioned work done at the before mentioned price. Now, I've had almost an entire Mark VII restored (see OldSchool1) by dealers and cannot remember ONCE having to have these two items changed on ANY of my Lincolns.

Have you needed to replace a distributor and an ignition module on a Mark and what did it cost?

Who did the labor?

What labor???? remove one 13mm bolt, disconnect one connector, pull old distributor/tfi....install new dist./tfi, secure with before mentioned bolt and reconnect connector. About a 10 minute job if your lazy!

I'd be more suspect of WHY it needed a distributor and ignition module. I just don't see a lot to go wrong there unless it was something catastrophic. I'd be really curious of the diagnostics that lead to this $400 charge. But I'm pretty cynical when it comes to repair shops - particularly at dealers.

driller said:
I'd be more suspect of WHY it needed a distributor and ignition module. I just don't see a lot to go wrong there unless it was something catastrophic. I'd be really curious of the diagnostics that lead to this $400 charge. But I'm pretty cynical when it comes to repair shops - particularly at dealers.
I like the dealer's warranty's and the fact that they (try) to use Motorcraft parts where applicable. In this case, I just wanted to be able to tell another Mark VII owner that he isn't the ownly one to get beat as bad on the parts mentioned.

I know that our stock altenators can go for $400.00 installed (new) but wasn't sure about the distributor.

All in all, if you take it to get it worked on. Its going to be 2/3 more! Its not yours, if you don't do the work. (In most cases!)

A network administrator in Jersey just told me the tale of his electrical problems and that they came to an end when he had the before mentioned work done at the before mentioned price. Now, I've had almost an entire Mark VII restored (see OldSchool1) by dealers and cannot remember ONCE having to have these two items changed on ANY of my Lincolns.

Have you needed to replace a distributor and an ignition module on a Mark and what did it cost?

Who did the labor?
Can someone help me? how do i know if the gear on my distributor is cast iron, or steel? please advise, i do not want to mess this up.
Nighthawk44505@verizon.net

I know that our stock altenators can go for $400.00 installed (new) but wasn't sure about the distributor.

What the F$$K?!?! I would checkitty-check myself before I wreckitty-wreck myself! DAMN. Buy a few wrenches and do it yourself in a half hour if youre slow for 1/4 the price!

Holy 5 year old thread revived by the way :p

Who did the labor?[/QUOTE

Two summers ago on a Sunday afternoon my 90 LSC with just over 160K on it let me down for the first time since I bought it in 1993. Began with an occasional misfire. Stopped at a traffic light and the fire went out. Thought I was out of gas. Pushed to a gas station and filled her up. Wouldnt start. Checked all the usual things and discovered -- had fuel but no spark. Son in law brought tools and we bought a new ignition module at Pep Boys nearby. Installed iit in about 20 minutes and Nada! Opened the distributor and discovered it was toast. Some plastic parts below the rotor had disintegrated, bent the metal fingers in there and generally created a mess in there. We concluded that age and heat must have been the cause. PepBoys wanted $400 + for a distributor, but didn't have it in stock. Towed the car home. Following day got a rebuilt distributor for $ 75+ and that with the unnecessary ignition module totaled just under $ 150. Work was charged at the family rate $0 :) It has been running fine since. 22-24 mpg on trips and 15-16 in town. Still dreaming of a Philli steak sandwich!

Both of my 85 T-Birds with 5.0s had bad distributor modules (the internal one) - back then the only way to get new module was to replace the entire distributor - takes longer to take the rubber cover off than to remove the distributor. I think I paid $225 for a FORD reman with a $50 core charge. My symptoms on e one was hard starting when hot - thought or sure it was the starter but it tested fine. The other was would stall in heavy traffic and would not restart easy - if at all.

The main cause for the dizzy to go bad is the bronze bushing wears out. Ford didn't use bearings. MSD and a few others use a bearing on the bottom but not the top. Accel uses bearings top and bottom.

I believe the factory dist gear is cast iron, not steel

Accel uses a proprietary metal that is compatable with any camshaft material.

I have been using the Accel unit since 2002 with out any problems, I pulled it out a couple of times over the last 30,000 miles to inspect it and found very little wear

Members online

No members online now.
Back