Ok guys I'm having a quarter life crisis and I wanna mod the LS

tristangoesham

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to make the LS somewhat faster since I'm getting bored of it and can't find another car I want that I can afford. I know you can't make miracles happen with the car but I'm thinking about picking up the K&N typhoon air filter. I know there are tons of threads on it but I'd like to get some opinions on it. Any other suggested mods?

best intake for the Ls is the K N 57 3562 , i think the typhoon is the shiny version of it and it also really good , makes a great sound from what I heard, to really make it work and add a good amount of horsepower you must get a SCT tuner for it , also exhaust might get you some more power depends though

Intake, exhaust, tuner.

That's really all you got unless your willing to part with thousands of dollars for custom work. No, the LS is never going to be a beast on the street in 2013. I have an 06 and it's already 7 years old and technology has just simply outpaced this car. You got 2013 Ford Focus ST's coming wildly close to the LS's 0-60 speed. I would imagine if you had the exhaust, intake, and tuner on in 2006 it would be a different story, but with todays automotive climate, it simply can't keep up in raw performance.

However

I find that with those 3 mods, especially the tuner, this car is plenty fast for my purposes. It certainly isn't slow, has power and torque and makes a really enjoyable cruiser.

Yes that is the correct intake you linked, there is one version that has a chrome tube but that's personal preference. Honestly the intake makes a very noticeable difference in sound. I know I picked up the most power from my magnaflow kit, but to my knowledge the magnaflow kit is the most power, least loud setup you can get, which is what I was after. It's like turning the volume up on the car. The tuner really makes the car more enjoyable, like a legitimate sport mode on today's high end cars. If you get it from Torrie at http://www.fastpartsnetwork.com/ he will also make you some tunes, and his are supposed to be the best. Mine are awesome.

Yeah I have very realistic expectations for the car. It's more just for something for me to do and rekindle my love for the car.

The Focus ST is supposedly "underrated" from the factory, so I wouldn't be shocked if you lost to one on the road in an LS v8. The intake does nothing but make the engine sound good. The exhaust, marginal gains as well (also more for sound). The SCT tuner with tunes from Torrie will clean up the shifting patterns... but none of those are really going to drop time off your 0-60.

The LS is supposed to be 6.2 0-60? My friends stock SS 09 cobalt is 5.9 0-60 and he still pulls on me.

^couldnt have said it better myself , thats the right intake and the tuner will adapt your car to the mods and you can adjust shift points and what not , Ls is still fast for 06 but as the years progress it will be left in the dust by all the new cars with little motors and turbochargers which frankly bugs me but what can be done, if lincoln brought it back in this age it would surely have over 400 horsepower if they stuck with a V8

yea exaclty , our cars are pretty big , I would not feel as bad losing to a car that was actually marketed for speed like a cobalt ss, lightweight and has a supercharger in it and does not have as many features as the LS's do

Here is a post by Torrie himself on the Focus ST forums about his gains on the ST

Not shocked. Way easier to get large gains out of turbos/superchargers. I have a 2.0T Sonata thats my daily, and there's a place who apparently you send the company your turbo and $600 and you gain 40 HP. Ridiculous.

Yea that is his LS. Apparently things went south with that builder. They had his LS for over a year, IIRC.

You're not allowed to have a quarter-life crisis. At 20-25 the world is your arster my boy. Wait till you're old and decrepit like me, then you get to bitch about crises. :D

You're not allowed to have a quarter-life crisis. At 20-25 the world is your arster my boy. Wait till you're old and decrepit like me, then you get to bitch about crises. :D

Never heard of the world being an arster.... An OYSTER on the other hand........

I was going to recommend a turbo, and started looking for any turbo Jags from which a cam could be used, when I came across this.

http://www.theturboforums.com/threads/357366-ALAX7-Lincoln-LS-V8-Turbo

Isn't Alex7 a member here?

Present :biggrin:

The kit was built in a few months but it took the tuner about a year after that to put the fuel pump, injectors, and start tuning it but never finished it, he just dragged it out so long and barely touched it. The guy I made the deal with told me to just pick it up from the tuner and take it to get tuned elsewhere, which I did and was tuned the same day.

Present :biggrin:

The kit was built in a few months but it took the tuner about a year after that to put the fuel pump, injectors, and start tuning it but never finished it, he just dragged it out so long and barely touched it. The guy I made the deal with told me to just pick it up from the tuner and take it to get tuned elsewhere, which I did and was tuned the same day.

And how is it? Any quarter mile times? Enquiring minds want to know. :D

I posted my current issues in other threads here and there when asked about it. Never got to a quarter mile before one thing would happen preventing me from getting there. Check out my turbo thread for the recent issue. She did run great for a good few months without issues but it never did get to be finished to my liking.BUT, I am not one to give up on a project, I will see this through and have a 400rwhp LS in the next few years.

Thread jack over :shifty:

Like they said before, sct, intake, exhaust is about the average that gets done. If you want more power, you can get some spray, turbo, r supercharger, but these take more money and more dedication that just swapping in an intake.

Heh heh... thanks, but it wasn't exactly jacking. The OP was looking for ideas to get more juice, and a successful turbo install on an LS is certainly an idea for him...

Here's what I'd do if I really wanted to get further speed out of my LS. Search Cars.com, Craigslist, etc. Find a 2009 G8, sell my LS or trade it in, and purchase said G8.

Summary: if you are only after more speed, you'll need to get a different vehicle.

Here's what I'd do if I really wanted to get further speed out of my LS. Search Cars.com, Craigslist, etc. Find a 2009 G8, sell my LS or trade it in, and purchase said G8.

Summary: if you are only after more speed, you'll need to get a different vehicle.

What, a turbo, supercharger or nitrous work on everything but an LS? STS Turbo offers a universal kit, turbo mounts under the car, wouldn't upset the 50/50 balance by much. A small turbo feeding a small supercharger would kick some serious backside in an LS, and the supercharger is readily available at the local Jag dealer.

It all boils down to how much one wants to spend, and something like a G8 is still in the 18K range (I've looked) vs the 6K range of the LS. One can do a lot with 12 grand.

Members online

Back