Oil question mostly for Quik!

ksbga

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Guys ,
Just under 40,000 miles on my 02v8.(no probs to date)
The top end has gotten noisier and noisier! Used to go away after warm up , not now. even IN the car its audible. Fairly confident its valve train oriented.
There is NO such thing as "mechanic in a bottle "I know. BUT should I even try an alternative oil choice?IE Thicker? Or just expect the esp to come in real handy soon! Dealership oil changes every 5000 of course...
Thanks...

The LS does have a fairly noisy valvetrain normally -

I've been been using Mobil1 in every car I own for many years now - when I pull the heads off the cars look new - it really is amazing to see the difference form the old organic oil.

I would not recommend going thicker - these quad-valve high-revving engines need to spin....

Synthetic

I've got a 02 with 36k. I'd like to run synthetic. Is there any reason why I shouldn't? Is it too late to switch? Will all my gaskets start leaking?

Unless you have oil leaks already, it will not leak. I too have used Mobile 1 in all my vehicles since I was a teen. (wow.. that was along time ago!)
I just did my first oil change in the LS and put in 5w20 Mobile 1. I didnt think this car could be any smoother, but it is now.
Its an excellent product. (Ive used Amsoil and Redline in my race car as well, and just prefer the results I've had with Mobile 1)

my 02 v8 is quiet as well. 83k miles.
Been using Walmart brand 5w-30 synthetic for awhile now

I've got a 02 with 36k. I'd like to run synthetic. Is there any reason why I shouldn't? Is it too late to switch? Will all my gaskets start leaking?

If I'm not mistaken I believe the dealership puts in synthetic, so switching to a diff. brand probably wouldn't do much(for leaking).

If I'm not mistaken I believe the dealership puts in synthetic, so switching to a diff. brand probably wouldn't do much(for leaking).
If it's a Lincoln dealership, they're almost certainly using Motorcraft semi-synthetic, not a true synthetic like Mobil1. They could be using plain old dino juice, but I don't think Motorcraft semi-syn is any more expensive than the equivalent dino juices out there, and they probably get a good discount on it.

And no, there's no problem with switching from dino juice to synthetic.

did lincoln switch to Mobil1 a few years back?

I know Jag, BMW, Merc are all coming with a factory fill of Mobil1 now.

No one is running Royal Purple? I have been thinking about switching all my fluids to the Royal Purple line.

What do you think?

mobil 1 !!!!

Thanx guys...
I asked when I bought the old girl , the dealer said no synth.in their tanks , just motorcraft bla bla bla. Its not an authorized lincoln dealer tho...Just Ford.
Maybe I'll try Mobil 1. If it works for quik , it works!

Members online

Back