oil pressure idiiot light

mikemark8

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Headed out today and while at a light i noticed a little smoke rising up next to the car (96 mark)-I pulled it over and checked under the hood, saw that there was a little antifreeze around the surge tank (just topped it off yesterday and figured I overfilled it). I looked underneath, and it was pouring oil. I shut it down and had it towed home, where I discovered that the oil pressure switch was leaking, big time. Went to the Ford dealer and got as new one, installed it and poured in 4 quarts. I sat for about 2 hours and lost a lot while sitting, started it up and it sounds ok-no tapping, just sounds normal-but the idiot light stays on. I did check to see that the new sensor was hooked up, and drove it-feels perfectly normal, but the light is now on all the time. Defective sender? Any guesses?

sounds like it.
you may have also gotten a oil pressure gauge sender instead of the oil pressure light sender?

I believe the oil light is only for oil level
If you have low oil pressure it should show up on the message center.

The light on the dash is for pressure. The message center has a message for low oil level.

If it isn't rattling then it sounds like a bad oil pressure sender.

The light on the dash is for pressure. The message center has a message for low oil level.

If it isn't rattling then it sounds like a bad oil pressure sender.

I bought a BWD version at Advance and will install it tomorrow. If the Ford sensor is bad, I'll return it. It never got hot, and the temp was around 195 per UltraGauge-really it was pure luck-I saw a puff of smoke, and decided to pull it over and check it out. Like the oil filter adapter gasket, but more intense. The oil filter gasket usually warns you with parking lot stains, this looked like a severed artery. Weird. Makes me want to install an oil pressure gauge. Driving around here is pretty hectic, and had I gone another 100 yards it might have been toast.

I've had it happen to me at least 3 times, put in a new oil pressure switch and the lights on immediately. It is just a bad switch. Frustrating part is, everything's made in china anymore, even name brand stuff. And almost everything from china is junk.

I've had it happen to me at least 3 times, put in a new oil pressure switch and the lights on immediately. It is just a bad switch. Frustrating part is, everything's made in china anymore, even name brand stuff. And almost everything from china is junk.

It was a bad OEM sensor-i got the $7 borg warner sensor at Advance, and light went out. Took the defective Ford sensor back to the dealer and got a refund of $27. Even though the Mobil One had only 800 miles on it, and I added 4 quarts full synthetic to what was left yesterday after I put the bad OEM sensor in, I replaced all the oil, so it was 10 plus quarts plus the $7 sensor-much cheaper than an engine. I'm going to tap that port next to the sensor and plumb in an oil gauge, this could have been a disaster,

You should be able to put a tee fitting in the original hole and run both gauge and sensor.

You should be able to put a tee fitting in the original hole and run both gauge and sensor.
g
There is a threaded port next to the port for the oil pressure sensor...it has an allen head screw in it now, Im just going to remove the screw and plug in there.

Members online

Back