!#*#$@ Oil Pan!

formerknown

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I was trying to change my fuel filter today when I noticed oil all over my tranny pan and exhaust system. I look over, and there's a rot spot in my oil pan! :Bang

So tomorrow, I'm going to fill the small hole in the oil pan with JB Weld or some other temporary fix. Then, I'll have to order a new stock pan, which my price, should be around $150 out of my pocket. I'll probably have to rent an engine lift and drop the k-member. What a pain in the ass!

And to further add to my aggravation, I wasn't able to complete the fuel filter change because the part was wrong! AARRRGGHH!!

:soapbox:

I replaced my pan in the '93 (motor crapped out 100 miles later) without a lift or dropping the k-member. I just put one of those engine supports over the top of the engine, undid the motor mounts and then I think I only loosened the k-member bolts. If you can get an inch (after removing the oil pickup tube), there is just enough room to squeeze it on back. Barely.

:soapbox:

DSC00156.JPG

Well, as a temp fix I JB Welded it. No leaks thus far. The oil pan will cost me $117, my price through Ford. As for installation aggravation price, I'll have to break-out the charge card...:D

Don't you LOVE salty roads? My 95 came from Michigan, and the undercarrage proves it. It's in good shape considering, but I HATE RUST! I'm gonna pay my little brother to crawl under there and scrape, wire brush, and rust Mort everything, then undercoat the piss out of it.

I feel for ya on the oil pan.

Mike

Has anyone completed the oil pan change ? Is it a do-it-yourself project or best left to a shop to repair? If a profesional job how much $$ Mine has a few bubbles I am going to try and clean up and rust proof to save it.

My God! That's horrible! Don't you all wish you lived out here in Arizona???? You couldn't find that much rust on every car in the city combined!

2001LS8Sport said:
My God! That's horrible! Don't you all wish you lived out here in Arizona???? You couldn't find that much rust on every car in the city combined!
Same here in Sunny California. But who's gloating? :dancefool

That's right Stephan. And it's driving the prices up on good used cars. Too many people from the rust belt driving out here to buy rust free iron. I am always seeing trucks with trailers from places like Ohio hauling something back.

Members online

Back