Oil filter adapter gasket o_O

NoLimit95

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Alright, I am about to tackle this and have all the tools needed. I have a compressor, air tools and jack with huge jack stands and a garage to do it in, on carpet lol. I never have changed one before but I did buy one for the 94 back in 09 but never got around to replacing it before it exploded in the same garage. Anyway, the hoses and stuff have already been replaced and they might have 20K miles on them but probably way less. Maybe 12-15K so, I don't need new hoses and this adapter gasket has already been replaced by Jamie. He done it when he bought it and then I bought it from him in Jan, 2010.

Now it leaks oil while running but not when setting. It's not pouring but is dripping more than I like for it to so, anyway, I have 2 gaskets now. One is orange colored rubber and the other one that was bought in 09 and never removed from the plastic is also Fel-Pro and has blue rubber gaskets. Does it really matter or could one of those rubber colors be better than the other?

Is this what really has to be done?

1) Remove driver's wheel and oil filter.
2) Drain the coolant.
3) Get the three top bolts that can be seen clearly with an extension through the wheel well.
4) Get the last bottom bolt with a swivel from under the car.
5) Slide the old gasket out, slide the new one in.
6) Put the bolts back in.
7) Replace oil filter & wheel.
8) Refill coolant and bleed system.

I think I used the orange gasket.
I didn't go through the wheel well for any of the bolts. I removed the battery for more room and moved some other things out of the way and went in from the top and bottom. I removed the entire housing from the car to clean it up and clean the block (I wanted to make sure everything was as clean as it could get). I didn't want to put it back together and still have a leak. I believe I changed oil at the same time.
If you remove the housing it takes a little thought on how to get it out and back in.
It's a fairly easy fix just takes awhile, you don't want to do it twice. :) Good luck Terry! Take your time and all will be good.

Would love to see a step by step pictorial!

Well, time to go buy anti-freeze. Needs to be changed anyway because unless Jamie changed the coolant when he bought it, it hasn't been changed. It looks good and not dirty but I ain't using the same stuff again. I think I can handle this job without all the tools being thrown out the back door and over the fence. I might beat the dog but she can take it. :shifty:

2011-11-23Miley.jpg

I think the gasket I bought back in spring was orange. Bout to replace mine as well.

Funny enough, the previous owner of my Mark VIII let his pitbull run amock inside it... there was rawhide bone slobber on the passenger seat that was like cement! Not to mention short dog hair EVERYWHERE.

She's only rode with me 3 times. I normally wouldn't ever let a dog in my car but she had to go in for nails and hair...

Anyway, it's not the gasket that's leaking, it's the sender but now I can't get it to leak. I wiped it clean, cranked it and laid there and watched it. Nothing! I drove it down to the corner store, about a mile round trip and still clean there where I saw it dripping this morning when it was cold. I'll check it again later but glad to know it's not that gasket because I wasn't looking forward to changing it. Now I have 2 new ones and no new sender. The place I bought the 2nd one from doesn't have the sender or I'd take it back and get it. It was only $7.00, tax and all.

you're gonna need wobbly sockets and long extension to go in through the drv wheel well. I've done both mine over the last 12 months. 1st time I did it the hard way- removed the hoses from the ofa and pulled it out to clean it. 2nd time i left the hoses connected and just slid the new gask in place.
Bring plenty of patience, you may need it.
I think it's also a good time to replace the OPSU (sending unit)...but don't over-torque it- I think T-wood's ofa cracked when he did it
Silly question, but you're sure the leak is from the ofa gask?

eh, no...missed that
----
nevermind then
-----
luck is ever-present, today it's good for you...cheers

I posted in the wrong thread. Don't know how I managed that one but anyway, the OPSU is what was leaking thankfully. It got oily under there before I knew it. I got the new part and some teflon tape. Going to replace it in about an hour or so.

This was before I wiped it clean

2013-11-08133821_zpseebf02d6.jpg

This was after it was wiped clean and sat all night and then cranked back up. It's leaking in between the grey section and metal crimped area.

2013-11-09144510_zps6ae6ba6f.gif

that happened to me, and the oil was just gushing out.....went bought a new sending unit and good as new.....happened to me at Alex's house, and he installed it.

that happened to me, and the oil was just gushing out.....went bought a new sending unit and good as new.....happened to me at Alex's house, and he installed it.

I just fixed mine. Wrapped the threads 3 times with teflon tape and threaded it in. Took all of 12 minutes to fix. No more leaking. $6.00 a quart oil is too high for the concrete.

Members online

No members online now.
Back