Oil Change?

JerzyHustler

LVC Member
Reaction score
I am looking to do my own oil changes on my 00' LS, can anyone point me in the right direction for a Tech article showing me how? Or if anyone here has the time to write something up for me I would greatly appreciate it.

have you change oil in other vechiles before?

Just trying to understand how detailed to be in the explaination...

-locate oil pan underneath car (towards the front of the car) [car should be warm so that the oil will drain better]
-remove oil drain plug and allow oil to empty
-locate oil filter [on this car, it is mounted horizontal and further towards the front of the car than the oil pan]
-loosen and remove the oil filter [that will be partially filled with oil so be prepared]
-after oil is finished draining from both spots (the longer you can let it drain the better), replace oil drain plug and the new oil filter (generally it is a good idea to fill the oil filter about halfway with fresh oil- however, on our cars it is a little difficult since its mounted on its side)
-fill engine with fresh oil

Yes I have changed oil in other cars before, wasn't sure how much different this was from other cars.

Thanks for the responses, also, I have heard some discussion about synthetic vs regular 5w-30. Should I be looking to switch over to synthetic, I know the manual is asking for 5w-30, just wanted to be sure.

No different than other vehicles but a word of caution about the transmission... Do not try to change the fluid yourself. It is a closed system and strongly suggest you only let lincoln dealerships carryout this maintenance item.

also... the service manual states 5w-20 but the temps in your area may dictate the need for a different type.

What do the temps have to do with it? I'll admit i don't know much about engine oil, with the free oil changes I've had with the LS, and cheap $16 oil changes on my old truck I've never messed with it myself.

I'm in AZ where we see some pretty high temps. Do I want to stick with the 5w-20 or 30?

5w 30 will not hurt anything; it is a good thing with the high heat down there in the valley.

The low recommended weight oil is for better gas mileage and there is not that much difference.

Yeah pretty much like other cars with a few minor exceptions.

1) The oil filter is in a pretty tight spot on a V8, so get yourself one of those filter wrenches that looks like a cup that fits over the filter. I was unable to use any of my other different design type filter wrenchs so had to buy the cup.

2) Assuming you have the V8, I think it requires 6.5 quarts if you change the filter.

3) Most of the engines call for 5W20. If you are still under warranty I would probably stick with that. My personal preference is 5W30 Mobil 1. The odds of an oil failure are extremely remote so the 5W20 is a judgement call. You might get slightly better mileage with the 20. Warranty may not be an issue for you.

Make sure the oil cap is tight, several clicks. I once changed oil and hundreds of miles later found the cap sitting on top of the brake master or something near there.

Ford uses a semisyn 5W20 and I hear it is excellent. I use Mobil 1 out of habit. The older models like yours probably say 5W30 but can use the 20.

Filters cost a lot more than usual. So shop around. I like to buy the Wix filters from Rock Auto on the web. Cheaper than the Frams out there and if you buy 4 at a time the shipping doesn't hurt. Also finding filters at the local autoshop can be tricky.

The tranny is probably more PITA for do it yourselfers. The dealer wil most likely do a flush.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Members online

Back