Odometer problem !!!!

inkme101

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
ok im on to my next problem, 2000, ls, 3.9. my odometer (well that whole screen) stopped working. i dont have the little dashes as some others have posted in their threads (thats right i searched the forums). all of my guages work just fine, i dont have abs or trac- control lights on. its just the whole parking indicator/odometer screen is black! now people say "maybe a fuse" but i doubt that theres a fuse that ONLY controls the odometer, but im open to all suggestions. so im hoping some of you fine LS GENIUSES can give me a hand. ive pin-pointed many problems on my last couple of ls's because of you guys, so i keep coming back.

I'm afraid that's a problem internal to the cluster. You might find someone somewhere willing to repair it, but most likely you will have to swap the cluster out. You'll have to do this at a dealer or somewhere/someone with a scan tool that can marry the replacement cluster to the PCM.
(I am assuming that the message center is still working. If not, it could be a simple external problem.)

what happens if you push any of the message buttons... the screen stay black? any sounds?

message center works fine the only screen that is out is the parking indicator/trip/odometer screen. i do get a series of five chimes five times whenever i start the car, i dont know if that has anything to do with it but i thought id mention it.

and just to make sure... nothing happens when you push the trip/ reset button... sounds like the cluster, at least the message board, is out, like it was said before.. you can swap it out with any same gen cluster, it just needs to go to a dealer to get matched up.. Im sure they charge an hour for it

message center works fine the only screen that is out is the parking indicator/trip/odometer screen. i do get a series of five chimes five times whenever i start the car, i dont know if that has anything to do with it but i thought id mention it.

Five sets of five beeps means that you have an SRS (air bag) fault and that your SRS light is not working. That second problem, the airbag light not working, is a problem with your cluster. The first part of the problem is probably the clockspring, but there are other possibilities too.

and just to make sure... nothing happens when you push the trip/ reset button... sounds like the cluster, at least the message board, is out, like it was said before.. you can swap it out with any same gen cluster, it just needs to go to a dealer to get matched up.. Im sure they charge an hour for it

nope nothing happens no beeps or lights or anything.

Five sets of five beeps means that you have an SRS (air bag) fault and that your SRS light is not working. That second problem, the airbag light not working, is a problem with your cluster. The first part of the problem is probably the clockspring, but there are other possibilities too.

i found a broken wire down by my seat and it seems like i read somewhere in here when i had my last ls that that wire is a common break and can cause the airbag stuff to go all screwy, but i may be wrong.

i found a broken wire down by my seat and it seems like i read somewhere in here when i had my last ls that that wire is a common break and can cause the airbag stuff to go all screwy, but i may be wrong.

Yep, that's one of those "other possibilities too."
At the same time, you still have a cluster issue that prevents the SRS bulb from working. It could be as simple as the bulb being burned out, or it could be related to the failed odometer/transmission range display module.

is there just one wire harness going to the seat for the SRS, heat, position, etc.?

yup, dealer only if it is the cluster, and fyi your LS will adopt the mileage of the cluster you put in if it's used.

but if it's a brand new one, do you show 0 miles I wonder? Because I was pissed when mine showed over 100k after a swap and they told me it's against the law to alter the numbers.

best of luck

yup, dealer only if it is the cluster, and fyi your LS will adopt the mileage of the cluster you put in if it's used.

but if it's a brand new one, do you show 0 miles I wonder? Because I was pissed when mine showed over 100k after a swap and they told me it's against the law to alter the numbers.

best of luck

For a brand new cluster, normally they copy the mileage from the old cluster into the new one. However, if the odometer part of the old cluster isn't working, that's not an option.

Old thread bump!!!!!

Just searched general odometer and this was the most recent related thread.

Does anyone know at what mileage the Trip odometers turn back to zero?

Thanks in advance!

best of luck

I work for a Ford dealer and the last time i made an instrument cluster swap the vehicle retained its current mileage. The information is stored in the pcm as well as in the module that controls the odometer. That is why if you dont use Fords NGS(New Generation Star) equipment it will have bad results. Mainly the no start thing.

I work for a Ford dealer and the last time i made an instrument cluster swap the vehicle retained its current mileage. The information is stored in the pcm as well as in the module that controls the odometer. That is why if you dont use Fords NGS(New Generation Star) equipment it will have bad results. Mainly the no start thing.

Sorry, wrong on both points.

Mileage is only stored on the cluster on the LS. The NGS transfers the mileage from the old cluster to the new one.

The PATS in the cluster could care less what the mileage is, and has no way to know if it is the correct mileage. PATS prevents the car from starting until the NGS puts it in secure mode and commands it to exchange secret keys with the PCM. With a new cluster, it will also have to be put into secure mode to memorize the customers keys, so that it will allow them to start the car.

Thanks guys.

Mine recently turned over and I had not looked before, just noticed it was back to single digits. Needed an idea of how far I had gone.

Appreciated!

This thread can now return to the grave.

Members online

No members online now.
Back