Obama's amazing sense of humor

fossten

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
At the White House Correspondents' Dinner...

“Jonas brothers are here, they’re out there somewhere. Sasha and Malia are huge fans, but boys, don’t get any ideas. Two words for you: predator drones. You will never see it coming. You think I’m joking?”

Just imagine if Bush had said something like this.

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes.

Ronald Reagan 1984
goofing into an open mike

...there are abundant examples of double standards, I don't think this is one of them. That was a very humanizing thing for a father to say about his young daughters.

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes.

Ronald Reagan 1984

And did the media recognize that as Reagan goofing around, or did they sensationalize it so much that you remembered to look it up 26 years later?

The double standard is present.
I just don't think the stand up routine was one of them.

But speaking of the White House Correspondents Dinner, I think Jay Leno was completely set up to fail. That's a Letterman audience, one that doesn't care for Leno and a group that is fiercely protective of the Obama still. And then, he was dependent on video to punctuate some of his jokes. Very uncomfortable.

Ronald Reagan 1984
Russia, our mortal enemies in the Cold War, vs. two AMERICAN CITIZENS.

Apples and oranges.

However - did Reagan take flak for the comment in the media? Yes or No.

Russia, our mortal enemies in the Cold War, vs. two AMERICAN CITIZENS.

Apples and oranges.

However - did Reagan take flak for the comment in the media? Yes or No.

Ya Reagan took some flak in the media for a few days but it didn't stop him from getting re-elected.
Maybe Obama was a little crass.
But then he gave Blair a dvd set in exchange for a commissioned piece of art.
Sometimes he does funny things that could have been done better and more thoughtfully.
Yes you are right he does have a peculiar sense of humor at times.

If Obama sent a preditor drone after the Jonas brother's tour bus and took them out I might....might be convinced to vote for him LOL

...apparently the DAILY SHOW writer's helped him with the "routine."

So rather than the traditional self-affacing humor that is usually shown by the President at this event, we had Obama make a single joke about his polls and then attack with the venom of a NY liberal, Daily Show writer. Now that we know who wrote the material, it makes sense.

Compare and contrast Obama's performance, and the arrogance with some of the other one's with Bush:
YouTube- George Bush Impersonator with the real George Bush

I am not surprised that Obama had a writer. Bush, I think, was a better comic...;)

However - there were plenty of self deprecating moments...

• “It's been quite a year since I've spoken here last — lots of ups, lots of downs — except for my approval ratings, which have just gone down. ..But that's politics. It doesn’t bother me. Beside I happen to know that my approval ratings are still very high in the country of my birth.

• “Obviously I'm most pleased that Michelle accompanied me. She doesn’t always go to these things. And there are few things in life that are harder to find and more important to keep than love—well, love and a birth certificate.

• “I've learned this year politics can be a tough business, but there are times where you just can't help but laugh. You know what really tickles me? Eric Massa. Apparently Massa claimed that Rahm came up to him one day in the House locker room, stark naked, started screaming obscenities at him. To which I say, welcome to my world.”

And, the Jonas Brothers joke - I can see Obama's daughters now... "Daaaddddd.... "

It was a great 'Dad' moment...

I don't begrudge him having the help of writers prepare the material, I just think that it's interesting and worth noting that his advocates at the Daily Show were the ones to come to his aid.

However - there were plenty of self deprecating moments...
But you can't point to any, but the poll ratings being low...

Beside I happen to know that my approval ratings are still very high in the country of my birth.
That's not self-deprecating, that's a shot at the "birthers."

well, love and a birth certificate.
Another birther joke, a shot at his critics.
I guess they couldn't think of any PG "tea bagging" jokes.

the House locker room, stark naked, started screaming obscenities at him. To which I say, welcome to my world.”
That's a joke about Eric Massa and Rahm Ehmanuel... not self deprecating.

And, the Jonas Brothers joke - I can see Obama's daughters now... "Daaaddddd.... "
I doubt it.
That was hardly as embarrassing as discussing their "weight problems."

It was a great 'Dad' moment...
It was a designed to be a humanizing joke, certainly.
I don't think it was a "Dad" moment because I don't think it was genuine.
I wouldn't doubt that the girls don't even like the Jonas Brothers.

I don't begrudge him having the help of writers prepare the material, I just think that it's interesting and worth noting that his advocates at the Daily Show were the ones to come to his aid.

Do you think he would ask Glen Beck to write his stuff? Of course it was going to be someone left... duh...

That's not self-deprecating, that's a shot at the "birthers."

Another birther joke, a shot at his critics.
I guess they couldn't think of any PG "tea bagging" jokes.

That's a joke about Eric Massa and Rahm Ehmanuel... not self deprecating.

Obviously the left and the right find humor and 'self deprecating' in different forms...

Heck, I even thought Bush searching under his desk for WMD was funny - sometimes you need to leave the politics at the door and just laugh - right?

That was hardly as embarrassing as discussing their "weight problems."

Or as embarrassing as saying both of your daughters are available - it is just Dads being Dads... in all cases I think

It was a designed to be a humanizing joke, certainly.
I don't think it was a "Dad" moment because I don't think it was genuine.
I wouldn't doubt that the girls don't even like the Jonas Brothers.

Nope favorite first daughters band
... Jonas Bros... They made a big deal about it last year... I think Dad might have made a bad joke about it then as well...

After they took in the movies, the girls made their way around the house, guessing the answers to trivia questions posed during the scavenger hunt. When they got to the final door, they opened it up to reveal their prize: the Jonas Brothers, which has to be one of the best scavenger-hunt prizes ever. The JoBros just happen to be young Sasha and Malia's favorite band.

The guys also performed for the first daughters at Monday's night's Disney bash, "Kids' Inaugural: We Are the Future," where they brought the girls onstage during their performance of their hit song "Burnin' Up."

Wow, I'm really behind the times. Before this thread, I'd never even heard of the Jonas Brothers. :lol:

Do you think he would ask Glen Beck to write his stuff? Of course it was going to be someone left... duh...
Yes, the Daily Show is New York liberal far left cheer leaders for Obama. That's why they made themselves available to write the material.

Something to keep in mind when watching the Daily Show, especially if you think it's just even handed comedy, taking shots at everyone equally. It's not.

Obviously the left and the right find humor and 'self deprecating' in different forms...
And Obama finds self-deprecation to be making jokes at his opposition?

Heck, I even thought Bush searching under his desk for WMD was funny - sometimes you need to leave the politics at the door and just laugh - right?
Absolutely, so why did Obama do an entire routine that basically took shots at his opposition and not himself?

You seem to have a disconnect from reality here.

If he'd done a bunch of jokes about how he doesn't listen to people who disagree with him or his big ears.... that'd be one thing. But he had bitter NY writers take shots at the opposition for him before the lap dogs in the press and media.

There was nothing self-deprecating, or humble, about what he did. I don't think his ego would let him.

• “It's been quite a year since I've spoken here last — lots of ups, lots of downs — except for my approval ratings, which have just gone down. ..But that's politics. It doesn’t bother me. Beside I happen to know that my approval ratings are still very high in the country of my birth.

Joke? Or the only truth he was told since presidency? I don't know. Even if he's an American, he's still not trustworthy.

Gee, even the WaPo is a little uncomfortable with this. The ManChild must have really stepped in it this time.

Obama’s derisive tone surprises and dismays some of the people who’ve written jokes for presidents past.

With these dinners you want the audience to like you more when you sit down than when you stood up,” says Landon Parvin, an author and speechwriter for politicians in both parties, and a gag writer for three Republican presidents (Reagan and Bushes I and II). “Something in [Obama's] humor didn’t do that,” he said Sunday.

Parvin advises his political clients to practice a little partisan self-deprecation when they make lighthearted remarks: “If you’re a Democrat, you make fun of Democrats and go easy on the Republicans; if you’re a Republican, you do the opposite,” he says…

Former Clinton speechwriter Mark Katz calls Obama’s humor “a work in progress.” Katz recalls that before Clinton made his first White House Correspondents dinner speech, he asked his speechwriters why there weren’t more jokes about his political enemies. Clinton’s speech drew criticism after he inserted his own somewhat hostile jokes.

“He took aim at people he should not have aimed at,” says Katz. “He learned his lesson and took greater aim at himself. He learned that the right joke about yourself can be as Machiavellian as anything Machiavelli dreamed up.”
So Clinton did it too. Funny how Democrats do that.

Even Katz' discomfort doesn't prevent him from excusing Obama's lack of class - work in progress? Really? It's not that he's insecure? Or maybe his white half doesn't want to be called racist for making fun of his black half?

And while we're on the subject - let's compare criticism from former Presidents not in office anymore - something that has traditionally been considered beneath the office to do.

Carter - constant criticism of Republicans
Reagan - not a word
Bush 41 - not a word
Clinton - constant criticism of Republicans
Bush 43 - not a word

Carter - constant criticism of Republicans
Reagan - not a word
Bush 41 - not a word
Clinton - constant criticism of Republicans
Bush 43 - not a word

Not a word?

Foss - even Brit Hume got in trouble with this...

HUME: Two nights ago on this program, we said that, in attacking President Bush on Iraq, Hurricane Katrina, and the budget, former president Clinton did something that Bush's father did not do, and that is to criticize his successor. That was incorrect. While the first President Bush did so rarely, he did criticize President Clinton and his administration several times, including on his Haiti and Somalia policies. We stand corrected and regret the error.

Bush II

Former President George W. Bush fired a salvo at President Obama on Wednesday, asserting his administration's interrogation policies were within the law, declaring the private sector -- not government -- will fix the economy and rejecting the nationalization of health care.

And even Reagan
- Although soon after this speech he was rarely allowed to speak in public because of his advancing Alzheimers, so to say he didn't criticize Clinton would be incorrect, the more truthful thing to say is that he couldn't because of his memory problems after 1993.

Warning that the nation was cutting military spending too quickly, former President Ronald Reagan attacked the Clinton Administration today for plans to kill the "Star Wars" program.

Yes, the Daily Show is New York liberal far left cheer leaders for Obama. That's why they made themselves available to write the material.

Something to keep in mind when watching the Daily Show, especially if you think it's just even handed comedy, taking shots at everyone equally. It's not.

I would never, ever watch Stewart or Corbert and think I was watching 'fair and balanced'. They even state over and over again they aren't... They aren't trying to be fair and balanced - they are comedy shows - not news shows, and very liberal ones. Plus, comedy doesn't need to be fair and balanced. Once in a while they take shots at the left - but not very often and the scale is certainly very far skewed to taking shots at the right.

And Obama finds self-deprecation to be making jokes at his opposition?

I think the birth certificate jokes as self deprecating - he laughs at himself because he doesn't have the 'real one'...Yes, it pokes fun at birthers too - but I think he is also poking fun at himself - 'if only I would have a copy'...

I would never, ever watch Stewart or Corbert and think I was watching 'fair and balanced'. They even state over and over again they aren't... They aren't trying to be fair and balanced - they are comedy shows - not news shows, and very liberal ones. Plus, comedy doesn't need to be fair and balanced. Once in a while they take shots at the left - but not very often and the scale is certainly very far skewed to taking shots at the right.

Conservatives are easier to stereotype and make fun of.
A conservative stands for what is and a liberal for what can be.
Fox tried out a conservative comedy show and it was a flop.
Maybe they can get Huckabee to host one.
He seems to have a good sense of humor.

Not a word?

Foss - even Brit Hume got in trouble with this...

HUME: Two nights ago on this program, we said that, in attacking President Bush on Iraq, Hurricane Katrina, and the budget, former president Clinton did something that Bush's father did not do, and that is to criticize his successor. That was incorrect. While the first President Bush did so rarely, he did criticize President Clinton and his administration several times, including on his Haiti and Somalia policies. We stand corrected and regret the error.

Bush II

Former President George W. Bush fired a salvo at President Obama on Wednesday, asserting his administration's interrogation policies were within the law, declaring the private sector -- not government -- will fix the economy and rejecting the nationalization of health care.

And even Reagan
- Although soon after this speech he was rarely allowed to speak in public because of his advancing Alzheimers, so to say he didn't criticize Clinton would be incorrect, the more truthful thing to say is that he couldn't because of his memory problems after 1993.

Warning that the nation was cutting military spending too quickly, former President Ronald Reagan attacked the Clinton Administration today for plans to kill the "Star Wars" program.
Wrong, Vinnie. Bush defending himself against attacks is not the same as criticizing a sitting President - and certainly doesn't rise to the level of vitriol and irresponsibility demonstrated by Carter, Clinton, and Obama. In fact, it's fair to argue that Obama fired the first shot by attacking Bush. Apples and oranges; you're wrong as usual.

What's interesting is that whenever a Democrat President says something bad about a Republican in office, it's big news. When it's the other way around, MSM = zzz.

If Brit got in trouble for this, then I'm in good company. There's certainly a discrepancy in volume of criticism, and everybody knows it.

You may have corrected the record slightly, but I notice that you aren't disputing my point that the Democrats constantly criticize.

Wrong. Bush defending himself against attacks is not the same as criticizing a sitting President - and certainly doesn't rise to the level of vitriol and irresponsibility demonstrated by Carter, Clinton, and Obama. In fact, it's fair to argue that Obama fired the first shot by attacking Bush. Apples and oranges; you're wrong as usual.

Your Reagan example is nothing but sophistry. Clinton started bashing Bush almost immediately after leaving office, whereas Reagan didn't say anything for 5 years before Alzheimer's set in.

What's interesting is that whenever a Democrat President says something bad about a Republican in office, it's big news. When it's the other way around, MSM = zzz.

You may have corrected the record slightly, but I notice that you aren't disputing my point that the Democrats constantly criticize.

You were the one that used the phrase 'Not a Word' not I Foss.

Reagan's comments came only after 5 months (may, 1993) after Clinton took office - almost immediately. However, since he was diagnosed with Alzheimers in early 1994 he had little opportunity to criticize anyone after that.

Bush IIs comments also addressed Obama's health care plans and economic policies, not just defending his torture record, and came only 6 months into Obama's administration.

When did Clinton start going after Bush - I believe it was much further into his administration than less than 1/2 year.

The Dems criticize, yes, but so do the Republicans. I was merely trying to correct your falsehood.

I would never, ever watch Stewart or Corbert and think I was watching 'fair and balanced'.

However, far to many people do view them as a legitimate and even infallable source of news (even '04 cited them as a legitimate source of information). Weather or not Stewart or Colbert like that, it is a fact and to ignore it is irresponsible and wreckless...

Once in a while they take shots at the left - but not very often and the scale is certainly very far skewed to taking shots at the right.

All comedy needs and element of truth and an element of exaguration. That is why most comedy is rooted in a logical fallacy of some kind.

However, when your "element of truth" is a liberal misunderstanding and/or misrepresentation of a opposing position, or a liberal assumptions about those who hold certian positions, you are moving into demagogoury and bordering on spreading disinformation.

The fact is that the Daily Show brings down the debate in this country. It substitutes vitriol, condesention, demagogury and out-of-hand dismissal of opposing views for honest, civil discourse on the merits of the arguments. Basically, it fosters intellectual bankrupcy.

Bill Mahr does the same thing in his own way.

Conservatives are easier to stereotype and make fun of.

Not really. Conservatives simply realize doing so as a childish substitute for critical thought and don't feel the need to engage in it too often.

Not really. Conservatives simply realize doing so as a childish substitute for critical thought and don't feel the need to engage in it too often.

Critical thought is harder to put across than comedy and has a much smaller audience.
Ridicule even the misrepresentative type is a potent weapon and hard to combat with intellectualism.
Getting one's point or view across simply is the best way to communicate with the masses.

Members online

Back