now this is just a theory on the mark VIII air ride

420ss

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
i was thinking, couldn't i put, in my trunk, a bigger compressor connected through a regulator to a 5 gallon air tank with 4 1/2in. lines running off it, then running a line to each stock air bag the same way other members have done when they convert their stock system to a fast bagged system. Pretty much long story short what i was thinking was installing a completely separate 1/2in. line fed fast bag set up all while leaving the stock system hooked up and fully functional. then since the new system would have it's own fill and dump valves all controlled by switches in the passenger cabin, all i would do is re locate the air ride on/off switch that is in the trunk to the same switch panel that would be in the passenger compartment. Then i could turn off the stock system and use my fast bagged system, then when i was done i would turn the stock system back on and go back to my set ride height and computer controlled features that we all love about our marks. now i now that this sounds like a lot of work and more money then i would need to spend in order to gain manual control of my stock system, and i know that i could redo the 1/4in. lines with 1/2in. to have it a fast bag system, but doing it this way i could slowly build this system up without having my car taken apart for extended periods of time, and i would wait on tapping into the stock bags, i would tap into them last once the second system was complete and fully operational, and this wouldn't strain my charging system cause the stock system would be turned off when i would be using the fast bag system. this is just a theory so some input for other members would be greatly appreciated.

i suppose you could go threw all that trouble or just get the accuair e level kit and bag it like i did mine (i have a 5 gallon tank 2 viair 444s, 8 smc 3/8s valves and 4 switches) so its more reliable plus with the e level you can control every corner front back and sides and it has 3 ride height settings you can set your self and save. and you said you didnt want your car torn down for long periods of time if you know what your doing and have everything lined a=out and ready to go you can do it in a weekend, granted i build customs and bagged vehicles for a living but i did my lincoln in 2 days. thats notching the upper arm and cutting the old bag mounts off and building new ones in the rear and building a new strut for the front that i changed my mind on and ended up modding the factory strut instead. (i will be building a diffrent strut sometime thow) so it can be done

so is your stock air ride computer still functioning, from what i gathered from your post then the answer to that is a "no", sorry stupid question. and since you have 3 different ride height settings then you can set for freeway, low ride and going over stuff modes. how much would that setup cost someone like me?

oh ya in regards to your mark, very, very nice work, that ride is insane!

No my stock air ride is gone. As far as the accuair e level I don't have it on my car but it is something that can be easily installed I just usually drive mine at one height and that's about 1.5 inches from the ground or lower (um scared of heights Haha) as far as what it would cost the accuair alone is almost a grand then the rest of the parts is between 500 and 2000 depending on brands and what all you want. Accuair even has a kit you can buy that includes everything but the bags for 1800 ish then bags would be another 200-400 labor wise is all Diffrent everywhere I have a set price I've found to work out pretty good for 1500

And thanks once I finish it again it will be even better.

What do you like about the factory system?

I like the bags and that is about it

The compressor is small cheap and weak.
The ring in the bore is rubber!
The vent is small and is troublesome...plugs up.
The lines are small.
Height sensors are a pain.
Up and down ....up and down every 60mph run.

I like to adjust the height
You can firm up the ride by modifying the bags.
That is all I seem to like.
The rest can go in the trash.
:eek:

well if you want to use all the stock bags then leave it all alone and install everything else even run your lines to the bags just dont hook them up then when your ready unplug the stock air lines drill it out and tap them for your 1/2 inch line fittings then be done

ya that was what i was thinking, i just wanted to make sure that my idea wouldn't pose a problem, like straining the charging system, messing with the stock computer, etc... well now i i need to know is, what exactly do i need to get to complete this task, and i am not loaded so i'am working on a tight buget, but i do want parts that will last, and websites or locations of the stores that sell the items i'am going to need, at a good price of course,

and thank you to everyone that has helped me with my mark VIII issues, and to everyone that is going to help me in the future, i would be so screwed if it wasn't for this site

well if your "fast bagging" it as some call it (i hate that term) your gonna need a air tank, 1 or 2 compressors i prefer 2 as its faster fill times and i only use viair id reccomend ether the 444's (thats what i have) ot the 480's, youll then need 8 valves 2 per tire 1 for up then 1 for down i only use smc valves, then youll need a switch box you can make on or buy one but they all work the same then fittings line and eletrical wire. its not super cheap but if you shop around you can find good deals on used stuff that is still good. i have 2 places i buy from and thats http://store.gaugemagazine.com/ and http://www.customconnectionllc.com/

i was looking at the products on one of the sites you posted and wouldn't i save $ if i just bought one of the starter kits?

sometimes you can and sometimes you dont. main reason i dont buy kits and peice my own together is because they dont always come with what i want or need then i have to add that to it and it dosnt save you any money then. figure out exactly what you want and if a kit matches and is a good price then yeah go for it.

ya i was noticing that, a kit that has pumps and relays, doesn't have the tank and valves. so what your saying is a lot of pre planning and shopping around will save me the most $

Members online

No members online now.
Back