Noob to the LS - Possibilities with AJ-V8

ghostBuster

LVC Member
Reaction score
First, I'd just like to introduce myself. I'm Tim, but the LS is actually my friend Evan's. I guess you could say we both have our share of blood, sweat, and tears in this baby. Anyway, please check out the garage and tell me what you think. Now as for my question.

So I've done some research on here, and I checked out the one site Quik LS posted about the Jaguar and Lincoln motor having similar blocks, but not the top end. From what I've read its the electronics that are different and not the actual components. I've read that the Jaguar engine uses a two-state Variable Valve Timing system to switch the intake cam timing by 30°, but the Lincoln doesn't follow this. I was mainly wondering what the top end similarities could be. Because I've looked at the specifications of the 3.9L and 4.0L. The Jaguar makes more horsepower at the same rpm as the LS motor (6,100). The compression (10.8) is the same, as well as the bore x stroke (86 x 86). So its come to my curiousity where the extra 29 horses are coming from. So then I check the displacement in cc, and the Lincoln is measure at 3,933 cc and the Jaguar is 3,996 cc. Where are those cc coming from? Just a slight size difference in the bore and stroke? Like down to the hundredths of an inch? And if so, I wonder if those parts can be mated with the block of the Lincoln.

At first, I was curious about the heads, and intake manifold from the jaguar but I don't think its the top end that is helping the Jaguar put up more power than the Lincoln. If anyone has more information on the camshafts, and the heads I want to know more. But it is my guess that the timing and tuning is different so they wouldn't work on the Lincoln block.

Thanks for any info,
Timma'

im confused on the specific question, if you are talking about just top end,than the transmission would play a role in this,considering the different tranny installed on a 3.9 lincoln and a jag.

the heads are differrent.
the Jag has 1mm more stroke.
the electronics are very different.

If the Jag's stroke is 86mm, the crank is different--the 3.9's stroke is 85mm. Also, the 3.9's compression ratio is 10.55:1 ('00-'02) or 10.75:1 ('03-'06), but maybe you're rounding the Jag's CR.

The electronics would be a killer in trying to adapt Jag engine parts (other than those that are common to the engines). I don't think the LS's electronics have much in common with other US Ford products, let alone with the Jags, and these are big-time electronic monsters--particularly the '03-'06 LSes (can you say CAN?).

J3FF said:
Bigger heads? Might have to make a swap if they fit.

nope. longer stroke as said above.

the heads on the Jag are two step VVT - the LS PCM would have no way to control it.

it's a non-starter.

Thanks Sooner and Quik for answering some of my questions, and helping out with the corrections to the stroke and compression. But I guess I might be wanting too much for the Jaguar to be compatible with the LS, but does that mean the bottom end components could be matched with the block from the Lincoln LS to stroke the motor out that 1 mm, or no? Or do I just have to try and see?

Thanks again for all the info.
Tim

Members online

No members online now.
Back